Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gear slipping??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:18 PM
greggmig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5th gear on 2013 SG slipping??

My buddy's 2013 SG when In just 5th gear the engine races like the clutch is slipping he just put a barnet scorpion clutch pack assembly in thinking this was his problem but it's still doing it just in 5th gear what's up with this?
His bike just turned 20k

Last edited by greggmig; 08-30-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling erro
Old 08-30-2015, 12:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

could be the clutch or adjustment...I gotta think if a 'slipping" problem is a mystery-then a clutch pack replacement may be beyond his skill -set.

less possible the tranny has a problem ( the 5th gear set is stronger than the 4th or 6th- it is straight cut rather than helical)

using air impact tools on the clutch hub can damage the shifting mechanism in the tranny

mike

Old 08-30-2015, 12:33 PM
greggmig
Cruiser

Mike it did it with the stock Harley clutch also just does it in 5th no other gears. If the clutch were slipping wouldn't it slip under high load in 6th?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:36 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

It probably time to take it to a Dealer for some professional assistance in the diagnosis.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
less possible the tranny has a problem ( the 5th gear set is stronger than the 4th or 6th- it is straight cut rather than helical)
Not that it matters in this issue but 5th gear has been Helical since 2010.

OP, does your friend say it pops out of gear at all (in fifth) or does it just occasionally slip?

Once it does slip, does it grab back eventually or does it require changing gears to get moving again?
If it never grabs again, it probably popped/slipped out of gear and than means either the gear selector (shifter pawl/shift cam/shift fork) is jacked up or the 5th gear dog ring is worn out.

Last edited by lp; 08-30-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:05 PM
greggmig
Cruiser

No it does not pop out engine revs when you twist the throttle I drove it it's crazy I do all my own wrenching defiantly thought it was a clutch issue but only does it in 5th doesn't make sense.
I went full throttle in 6th and forth gears with brakes on hard and I could stall the engine if I wanted to.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:21 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

When my clutch slipped, it was most noticeable in 5th gear. Probably more torque vs gear ratio or something. Does he by chance have synthetic fluid in the primary? I had to go back to Formula plus even after installing the SE clutch spring. Maybe another clutch adjustment needed?

Old 08-30-2015, 06:09 PM
greggmig
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
When my clutch slipped, it was most noticeable in 5th gear. Probably more torque vs gear ratio or something. Does he by chance have synthetic fluid in the primary? I had to go back to Formula plus even after installing the SE clutch spring. Maybe another clutch adjustment needed?
I don't think it's a clutch issue it would have slipped in 4 with the brakes applied at full throttle which it didn't I could have stalled the engine this way if I wanted to.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM
jbutch83
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 5th gear slipping??

I had the same issue with mine last year. Would slip in 5th only. Took it to local Indy, it was clutch adjustment. No issues since then and I've put close to 10k on it since that time.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 PM
greggmig
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jbutch83
I had the same issue with mine last year. Would slip in 5th only. Took it to local Indy, it was clutch adjustment. No issues since then and I've put close to 10k on it since that time.
Is your bike a 6 speed bike?
I don't understand how a clutch can only slip in one gear they usually slip in top gear more.
At the 3000 rpm is when it really starts to go. I got to the same rpm in 4 went to full throttle even applied the brakes bike was slowing down with engine could have stalled the bike like this did the same thing in 6th no slipping it doesn't make sense if it's the clutch. This is why he replaced the original clutch it was doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: 5th gear slipping??