Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Ultra Test Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Harley-Davidson
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HazyHog
It looks like you'll be able to hang onto some cash since your happy with what you have but I'll tell you one thing the 103 H/O sure is nice compared to an 80 when touring through the hills on a fully loaded bike with gear and passenger.
We've already done that - been to Denali, Alaska and back on the '89. No problem at all in the mountains. If you need power, shift down and at 2,600 and up the 80 has everything you need and it don't get hot. The engine or power is the last and least important reason we would trade. The creature comforts and fuel mileage for long distance touring is primary for us.

We did like the seating position and extra room on the '16. Looking at that one vs ours it becomes apparent they moved the Tour-Pak back about an inch and the seat is shaped different. On the '16 the pillion sort of slopes slightly rearward and my wife said she felt as though she could ride the bike instead of feeling like she wanted to "fall forward" into me.

I never rode pillion before so I had to sit on the pillion to get a handle on what she was talking about. There's definitely a difference there.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:49 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The creature comforts are what the Ultra's are all about if you like touring and your wife will love the queens throne back there!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Harley-Davidson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HazyHog
The creature comforts are what the Ultra's are all about if you like touring and your wife will love the queens throne back there!
Of that there's little doubt. There was nothing but "I like this" coming from the Bride Factor back there. The big question is, is "I like this" worth ~$20 Grand to trade! LOL!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:06 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear you. Good luck on the decision process and be sure to let us know.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always think about what else I could buy with the difference money, and I usually realize I can be happy with my current ride.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:19 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
I always think about what else I could buy with the difference money, and I usually realize I can be happy with my current ride.
I don't like the styling of the Rushmores, so it is easy, for me, to resist buying them.
I bought my wife a 2012 Mustang with the difference.

Hope my twinkie lasts as long as your evos.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelikesbikes
This is a no brainer. You keep the Evo and buy whatever bike you want.
I agree, they would not give you enough for the trade to make you want to get rid of it anyway.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I did the demo ride here Saturday. I got on the street glide special. the 103 they have in that bike is the motor Harley should have made a while ago. I was impressed with the power. Now it was very hot to ride, BUT the demo bike I was on, had to be taken out of service. It had an oil leak. It probably was due to the tech's when they put the bike together. Being low on oil, I can't say if the bike is hot natured or if it was strictly an oil issue.

Talking to a salesman that I know at the demo, he told me its the same old 103 with a much better cam.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Harley-Davidson
Cruiser

I did a little research and what they did that's different from our old Evo 'Glides is that they lengthened the wheelbase by an inch, moved the Tour-Pak back about an inch, and evidently changed the seat sometime around the 1999 or 2000 model year.

My wife and I talked about it this morning over breakfast. And while we do like the styling and the extra room that the newer ones got, we like our "classic" Electra Glides too. And our "classics" are paid for.

Things like the sound system - ehhhhhhh - my wife says she don't really care about that. The muted rumble of the Big Twin and the scenery going by while she takes pictures or shoots some video, or whatever, is what she likes.

Evidently Mustang makes a leather seat for our older Evos that changes the seating position on the pillion with different shaped foam so she doesn't have that "sliding forward" feeling back there. So we're going to look into one of those, maybe look into relocating the King Tour-Pak back an inch to get the room the new ones got, and stick with our older 'Glides another year. I just bought the '86 and that bike only has 20,000 miles on it. Our '89 is getting up over 90,000 and we'll probably sell that one and make the mods to the '86.

Our '86 is a Standard and it has no lowers on it. I actually like that better for warm weather riding. But would like some lowers on it for cooler weather riding in the fall - and we plan on taking a 2,000 mile trip yet in September. So I'm going to look into getting some lowers for it for those days when the weather is beautiful, but temps in the high 50's.

So that's what we decided for this year. We got an almost new Evo 'Glide that's not even broke in yet. Make a few mods to it so it has the creature comforts of the newer ones, and go ride the hell out of it and enjoy the fact that we own it and don't have no payments on it.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I got to see a '16 Ultra Roadie yesterday and finally sit on one.

Man it sucks being poor.

Quick Reply: 2016 Ultra Test Ride