Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Observations/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:09 PM
smitty8202
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Observations/Concerns

So Friday night i bought a 08 FLHX with 36,000+ miles. I have put about 300 or so miles on it since. I know its not a lot of miles but i have some questions.

1) When starting the bike i have noticed if the throttle is not rolled off there is a clicking/grinding noise and once started it idles at about 3000 RPM's. any fixes for this.

2) Sitting at idle there is some serious vibration in the bike i know this normal for the big twin engines but it seems a little excessive to me. I read on here to help with don't apply front brake which i rarely do unless on a slope when stopped. Also once above about 35-40 mph bike vibrates a lot to where i get that tickling sensation in my hands. Fixes.

3) The shift linkage seem to be vibrating a lot as well. And seems a little loose. I can move it back and forth about half an inch or so and it rolls over about the same. If that makes sense.

I plan to bring it into the dealership and address these concerns with them but everyone knows how that goes. "everything thing seems fine to me". But i just want to get everyones advice on this. Any advice will help guys thanks.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Search on this issue, there were some problems just like this on the 08 models. I don't remember the fix. There are some old threads discussing this issue.
2. 07 and 08s vibrate a lot at idle. You can swap motor mounts on the front or do what I did turn the idle up 50 RPM. They tried changing the motor mount position on the 08s but it didn't really help.
3. Normal. I know I don't like it either but it is normal.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Some Observations/Concerns

1. Bike off, run/stop set to run, ignition off. cycle the ignition 4 times by
Turn ignition to on, count 1-2-3-4
Turn ignition to off, count 1-2-3-4
Repeat 3 more times
Don't hit the start button while doing this.
This will reset the idle

No need to twist the throttle on start up of a fuel injection bike.
When turning bike off, make sure it has settled to idle before doing so ( some suggest removing right hand from grip before turning off)

Old 08-31-2015, 06:12 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

for the shift linkage, try replacing the stock shift rod ends with heim joints. that will tighten it up nicely.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:22 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

There is a reset for the high idle. Turn the switch on for 10 sec. And off for ten secco cons 4 times, that should bring your idle back to normal.

There is also a download available to the ECM that is supposed to help. - one of my friends had an 08 and he said it helped some, but didn't fix the problem. He was always resetting so it wouldn't idle high.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
smitty8202
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
1. Bike off, run/stop set to run, ignition off. cycle the ignition 4 times by
Turn ignition to on, count 1-2-3-4
Turn ignition to off, count 1-2-3-4
Repeat 3 more times
Don't hit the start button while doing this.
This will reset the idle

No need to twist the throttle on start up of a fuel injection bike.
When turning bike off, make sure it has settled to idle before doing so ( some suggest removing right hand from grip before turning off)
I will give this a try. I don't have to roll the throttle on I have to roll it off in order for it to start properly. Almost as if it's giving it has without even touching it.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:31 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 628 Likes on 454 Posts

The fix for the high idle is is correct. Typically the cause is from rolling the throttle forward slightly at shutdown. Many hold the front brake as they shut down and this can cause a slight forward roll on the twist grip without even realizing it. There is an increase in engine vibration when the front mount fails. Check for obvious cracking and deterioration. The factory mount is sensitive to oil and changing the oil filter without getting at least some oil on the mount is rare. If the mount is then not carefully and thoroughly cleaned it will deteriorate at an accelerated rate. You may need a replacement.

The factory shift linkage ball joints are prone to failure starting at around 30,000 miles. The heim joints installed BEFORE the failure will save trouble on the road. The forward shift shaft on which the toe and heel shifters are mounted can be removed and greased. Check the rear shift arm (the one attached to the transmission) for looseness. It must be tight on its shaft or the splines will eventually strip and it is not an easy replacement.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 PM
smitty8202
Cruiser

Originally Posted by btsom
The fix for the high idle is is correct. Typically the cause is from rolling the throttle forward slightly at shutdown. Many hold the front brake as they shut down and this can cause a slight forward roll on the twist grip without even realizing it. There is an increase in engine vibration when the front mount fails. Check for obvious cracking and deterioration. The factory mount is sensitive to oil and changing the oil filter without getting at least some oil on the mount is rare. If the mount is then not carefully and thoroughly cleaned it will deteriorate at an accelerated rate. You may need a replacement.

The factory shift linkage ball joints are prone to failure starting at around 30,000 miles. The heim joints installed BEFORE the failure will save trouble on the road. The forward shift shaft on which the toe and heel shifters are mounted can be removed and greased. Check the rear shift arm (the one attached to the transmission) for looseness. It must be tight on its shaft or the splines will eventually strip and it is not an easy replacement.
Good explanation. So the motor mount is located under the oil filter. And I did notice a bracket on the top of the engine what's that?

Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 628 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty8202
Good explanation. So the motor mount is located under the oil filter. And I did notice a bracket on the top of the engine what's that?
The top bracket should have a link from it to the frame. That is one of the engine package locating links. The engine, transmission and rear swing arm are joined together and can be relocated from side to side and tilted vertically. The top link sets and holds the vertical tilt. Just aft of the voltage regulator is another link that sets and holds the left/right adjustment. If either of those links is adjusted to improve chassis alignment the front motor mount mounting bolts should be loosened and the mount allowed to shift to relieve any side load on the mount. If the nut on the bottom of the center bolt that holds the engine to the engine mount is loosened or removed the bolt should be free enough to slide up and down easily. If that bolt binds the engine mount is not centered under the engine support and it should be adjusted. The shade tree way to do that is to have the two engine mount to frame bolts loose, start and run the engine for a couple of minutes. The vibration at idle should help the engine mount to slide into the proper position under the engine support. Shut down the engine. If the center bolt now slides up and down easily, tighten the two engine mount to frame bolts and tighten the nut on the center bolt. Go for a test ride and see if the vibration level has decreased. All of this is in the shop manual along with a wealth of other information. I urge you to get one if you don't have one already. The price of the manual should be considered as part of the purchase price of the machine.

My new engine mount did not respond to this technique. I had to push the center bolt up far enough to see the shaft of the bolt and look closely to see on what side of the hole it appeared to rub. Then I tapped the engine mount (with the mount to frame bolts loosened) in the direction needed to center the bole in the hole. It doesn't need a hard hit, a piece of pipe, a cold chisel or a long punch will do the job.

The back end of the transmission casting has a tunnel cast into it and the swing arm pivot shaft goes through that tunnel. The pivot shaft is mounted in rubber bushings allowing the shaft, along with the swing arm, transmission and engine to be moved as a unit to set chassis alignment. IN all, the upper and lower links at the front of the engine, the engine mount and the swing arm bushings allow the "power package" to be properly located in the frame.