Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King - First ride with the windshield / Batwing ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:06 AM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Road King - First ride with the windshield / Batwing ?

I bought the RK as I knew the stripped down tourer would suit our needs probably 90% of the time. I am now starting to work on making it what we want for the other 10%.

First things first is wind protection. I dont want or need wind protection most of the time but it would be nice to have sometimes. I'm thinking batwing but figured I'd give the stock windshield a try. It is horrible, beat the snot out of me at speeds above about 50mph.

I am a little over 6' and the top of the windshield is about mouth level. I wear a full face helmet and at 65 mph my head would shake so bad my vision blurrs. 90 mph with no windshield is better than 65 with.

Should I even bother with a stock style windshield or go straight to a batwing?

How do I avoid spending a grand on a batwing and having horrible buffeting issues?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:20 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Go to http://www.longrideshields.com/, they have great windshield replacements that are pretty inexpensive.

Get one that is the same size as stock, but theirs has a flare at the top that will direct the wind upward. Given your height you might consider getting one that is slightly taller than stock.

I believe they offer a forum discount. http://www.longrideshields.com/produ...crv-rdking.htm

Last edited by Keithhu; 08-31-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:25 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced my stock windshield with a Clearview recurve. My eye level is about and inch over the top of the windshield and it's very comfortable, plus I can see clearly. I'm very happy with the setup. I ride with an open face half helmet or none at all. Take a look at the Clearview site. Lot's of information.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 AM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Also add a set of Fork Mounted Wind Deflectors from Harley, part number 57400146A. It helps cut down the turbulence.

Ed

Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM
bobbyf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a 2015 Road King and I took the stock shield and cut it down to 15". Didn't like looking through the shield as it seemed to distort the view. Nice to feel the wind and still deflect the sand and bugs. I like the feel of the ride in the wind, that's why I have a bike. If I didn't like to ride with the wind and some turbulence I would have bought a convertible. JMO

Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

You need a CC Bailey's shield 2" wider and taller. I'm 6'1". This has been on my bike for six years.

Attached Thumbnails Road King - First ride with the windshield / Batwing ?-20150817_110031.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

MY stock shield works well for me well over 80mph. I am 6' even and my eyes are just at the top of the screen. If I slouch the sometimes fall below. I think yours is too short and has been cut down. Any buddies around so you can try the stick version? I looked at the curved kind but did not want that section distorting my view and stayed with stock. I would only want a slightly wider version to protect the hands when I ride in the low 40's. Good luck

Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Try LRS, great folks and sponsor.
Let then explain how high the windshield needs to be for you. I ride with my windshield on 90% of the time, when it gets burr cold I put on my Reckless XL Fairing - really moves more wind away from you, especially the hands! On the fairing I went with the LRS Elite Recurve Polycarbonate, most excellent. LRS will explain the benefits of a recurve for you.
Spring comes, the fairing comes off. That nacelle is just too pretty to cover up!
BTW - I rarely ride without some windshield in front of me. Down here, the bugs will beat you to death, especially at night as LED Headlights are big bug magnets!
I just love the versatility of The 'King...

Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyf
got a 2015 Road King and I took the stock shield and cut it down to 15". Didn't like looking through the shield as it seemed to distort the view. Nice to feel the wind and still deflect the sand and bugs. I like the feel of the ride in the wind, that's why I have a bike. If I didn't like to ride with the wind and some turbulence I would have bought a convertible. JMO
I dont think the guy was looking for preaching.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I went from a stock shield to a recurved and the difference was amazing. Between that and the fork fangs I ride in very calm air either with or without a helmet. Top of shield at nose level - I don't like looking thru it.

Quick Reply: Road King - First ride with the windshield / Batwing ?