Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headed to southern Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Um, South Rim.

the train from Williams is a fun day trip ( GREAT for kids)- use your AAA discount.

Mike

Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
NewAgent
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll love the ride in Arizona. Pine forests and deserts in a few hours. Coming from the south be sure to go thru Bisbee, nice little town. Tombstone is ok but very much a tourist trap. If you like twistees and riding thru the mountains take Hwy 191 north of the 10, follow east at Safford and go north at Clifton. Take that all the way to Springerville. Stay the night in Alpine another nice little town. Out of Springerville take the 60 west into Phoenix for more beautiful scenery thru the Salt River Canyon. That Hwy191 from Clifton to Springerville is one of the top rides in the nation. Last time out there met a group from Italy and a group from France who flew out and rented bikes just to make that ride.Going north out of Phoenix take the 60 to Wickenburg to 89 north to Prescott and Sedona and on to Flagstaff Beautiful country. Enjoy and have a safe trip.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While in Tombstone please go into Big Nose Kates and have a shot of Old Overholt for my uncle who passed away in 2006. He used to play Doc Holiday there and would greet guests at the saloon as soon as they walked in the door. He was the toughest Vietnam Marine I had ever known and I miss him dearly.

RIP Uncle Jim

Old 09-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts
Default headed to southern Arizona

Originally Posted by 69cj
Flagstaff and Williams Az. are must see places. Esp. the west rim of the grand canyon.
I second that! Flagstaff is terrific. Do not go all that way without going to the Grand Canyon! It's only a few hours from Sedona.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:33 PM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

I am jealous of your trip. Arizona has been my favorite state we have been to! I would go back to Bisbee in a heartbeat! If you make it there look up the Bisbee Breakfast Club for breakfast. All the shops and buildings on the same street as BBC are owned by the owner of the Broken Spoke Saloon in Sturgis. Lots of old cars and bikes to look at! Check out the old copper mine too. We stayed in Tombstone, and it was 'great although a little "touristy". We rode to Sonoita one evening and ate at the "Steak Out" and it was a great ride and great food.

Being from Texas I am pretty biased on states, but I like Arizona a lot. You will enjoy your trip! Here is my ride report of the trip we took ....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...tombstone.html

Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 PM
KylePutzier
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I retire I am just going to ride back-and-forth on the 89. It's a great ride. And like the other guy said, if you like twisties go for the 191 in eastern Arizona. There are so many hairpin turns you will literally get worn out. Plus, there is a huge Copper mine on the south end of it. Well worth seeing.

Last edited by KylePutzier; 09-02-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,848 Likes on 8,411 Posts

The super cells aren't all that bad. Just sorta like riding with a fire hose spraying in your face. I did my iron butt ride while working in Sierra Vista for 6 months, (South of Tucson) back in 2010.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mOOn
I'm leaving Indiana in the morning and headed to southern Arizona. Wish me luck! This will be a 10-11 day tour of the general area.

I plan on passing through Roswell NM on the way down (perhaps see an alien ?!?!?!). Should be there Friday sometime. From there I'll make my way towards Tombstone. Still haven't decided how I'm getting there from Roswell but hope to be in/through Tombstone area Saturday sometime.

Beyond that I"ve looked at several routes around and between Tuscon and Phoenix while making my way towards the Prescott and Sedona area. Still not sure how I'll be getting there since there are several interesting options. Any suggestions?

I'll have to wait and see when I get to the Sedona area before I decide if there is enough time to visit one more area before heading back to the Hoosier state.

What I really need for y'all in Arizona to do is make it stop raining!! LOL Looks like it will be a pretty wet weekend. Oh well.

Any suggestions on "must see" routes or stops along my general route would be greatly appreciated. The last two years I toured northern NM, AZ and southern UT so I'm concentrating this trip on places south of 40.

Thanks for listening.
©¿©
Take HWY 180 in Deming to Silver City, NM to Alpine, AZ from there take AZ 191 to Morenci through the mine to Safford then down to Sierra Vista to Tombstone. AZ 191 has lots of twists. Google earth and zoom in on the route

When in Alpine stop and have lunch, you will need the energy!!!!!!

Last edited by patrick74; 09-02-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 AM
westnash
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Patrick Said!

Also it makes no sense to go to Arizona June-August unless you stay in the far north or ride only in early morning. It is too hot to enjoy otherwise.

Some have no choice, but why do long trips over Labor Day w/e? Prices are way up and hotels full.

It rains almost every day in areas of the monsoon, sometimes violent winds and rain that doesn't last too long but is dangerous if you are in it.

There are too many places elsewhere where temp and weather conditions are nice to ride during this time.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:56 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

AZ 191(The Coronado Trail) is an awesome ride but watch out for critters. Last year we were in Alpine for a Blues Festival in June and some guy center punched an elk on his bike so just watch the road but it is well worth the ride.

Quick Reply: headed to southern Arizona