Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headed to southern Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Just watching the skies- tropical storm is breaking up and better chances for storms Labour Day weekend.

update: just looked out my window and can't see Piestewa Peak..a mile away.

dust storm coming in, close up the cars and start the pool pump

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-03-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Batwing Bob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should check out Prescott we are at 5000 ft and in the 80's then ride over to Jerome over Mingus Mountain the view dropping down into the Verde Valley is breathtaking, you are only two hours from the Grand Canyon from there.

Bob

Old 09-04-2015, 04:48 AM
westnash
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People hear about the Arizona heat but don't understand the severity of the Monsoon as far as winds, dust, and rain.

As many good places as there are to ride, it makes no sense to come to So Arizona during June - Mid September. If you go to the high country, and even the Monsoon impact areas of New Mexico, get your riding done in the morning and be flexible in the afternoon, depending on the storms. Skirt the storms or wait them out inside, as they usually are over quickly. They are extremely dangerous to be caught in, even for experienced riders. Hail and the blowing dust also can wreak havoc on your HD.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 AM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm late to the conversation... Went to CA coast, to get away from the AZ heat, hahaha.

The desert can be extra colorful the day after a rain, enjoy it. It can also wash sand and gravel onto the road, be careful of that too. Riding in the rain, during the heat is fun, but be alert to low spots for flooding.

AZ has prettiest sunrises and sunsets in the States. Try to get out early at least a few times to watch a sunrise, pull over at a nice spot for some sunsets. Critters are more active at dawn and dusk. Rabbits, rodents, deer, javelina can be darting across the road, but also low flying birds.

Summer late night riding is very peaceful. Try to do it away from the city, with no ambient light. Star gazing is wonderful, even better if little or no moon.

There are already some good ride recommendations listed. Tuscon area, Mt Lemmon, and Bisbee are nice. Tombstore...meh. 191 is a must ride. Longest twisty road in the States. Extra special that there is no traffic, unlike other popular motorcycle roads.

Visit South Rim Grand Canyon if you've never been. It's the view always seen in movies, so it's familiar and what you expect. IMO, dull ride there, but maybe jaded since I've done it so much. If you've done South Rim, but still want to go to the Canyon, go to the North Rim. Different eco system, with rock formations that are more rounded and carved vs shear.

Phoenix area, 89a is a must ride, which includes Sedona and Jerome.

Cave Creek and Tortilla Flats are nice places to visit. Superstition Mts, where Tortilla Flats are, has rich history that includes Lost Dutchman Mines.

If comfortable riding a graded dirt road, Tortilla Flats to Roosevelt dam is the Apache Trail, and a once in a lifetime ride. At least take it about 1/2 mile, to the bottom of the mountain. It feels like another time, if not another world. Google Street View gives just a slice of its beauty. President Roosevelt named it the oldest highway in the US. It was a stagecoach road, and before that used by Apache Indians. When done with that, you can visit the ancient Indian cliff dwellings.

If wanting a taste of old 66, go Kingman to Oatman. Narrow road, carves through twisty mountains. Washboard rough, but really gives a sense how it was during the great move west. Oatman is an old west town, with wild donkeys that come in from the mountains every day, and just walk the streets.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,294 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Um, South Rim.

the train from Williams is a fun day trip ( GREAT for kids)- use your AAA discount.

Mike
Be careful, last time I rode that train it was held up by bandits on horseback. Took me for a dollar.
Live music was nice.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:23 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope your travel has been safe and you missed the storm that hit late yesterday afternoon! I was a big wet one!

Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 PM
westnash
Tourer

Like the ones I mentioned, it is big and wet in some places and dry, dusty and windy in others. I haven't gotten any rain from any of the biggies recently. But a couple of miles away it floods.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

This time of year it will be hot down South, and we are in the Monsoon season now, so it will rain pretty much every day. Especially up in the mountains.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 PM
2mOOn
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a quick update....

I am currently in Winslow az. Downpour greeted me just as I arrived at the motel.

Will check forecast in the morning and decide which way to go tomorrow. Choices are a) to flagstaff, down through Sedona and Prescott, through wickenburg then land in Phoenix tomorrow night. Or b) head to Payson then across to show low and down to globe then Phoenix tomorrow. I'll do one tomorrow and the other on Sunday ending up back in Winslow Sunday night. I'm choosing Phoenix as a stop for tomorrow because, as some have mentioned, motel rates are obscene. Not so much in Phoenix best I can tell (hotel app on iPad)

I'll still have 2-3 days to angle my way towards Roswell before heading back home.

I'm changing things as I go (trying to minimize getting wet) but as of this moment that's the plan.

Thanks for all the suggestions, even my being crazy for being here at all at this time of year.

Larry

Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 AM
westnash
Tourer

It is a little cooler (95-99) this w/e in Phoenix but I still advise to stay to the north in higher elevation, especially in the later afternoon to come riding into Phoenix or Houston you hit a furnace and with heavy dust and winds.

There is more elevation and cooler temps if you head to Payson/Show Low/Springerville and down to Globe and forget Phoenix.

Anyone who travels on a major holiday weekend is going to get raped on hotels unless they do lots of planning beforehand.