Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you do your own servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:55 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Do you do your own servicing?

I bought rhe bike in my sig pic a few days ago, and so far, I'm loving it!

I always serviced every bike I've owned myself, but I've never purchased a brand new one.

I know I CAN service this one, but, I'm not sure I SHOULD (in case of a warranty issue).

I bought the factory service manual, and, I'm good to.go, just a bit nervous I guess.

Have you done all of the servicing on your NEW bike?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes I'm on my 4th new one in 19 years. Serviced all of them myself. Just do it!

Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It was my understanding that they check a bunch of other things and re tighten down key bolts, replace o rings, etc etc. Everyone I've asked who works on their own bikes recommended going to the dealer for the first service (this is the most important) and then they service it themselves after that. Honestly it is expensive, but isn't it worth the extra money to protect your investment?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 AM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Do you do your own servicing?

It's a motorcycle, not a retirement account. If you're looking at your motorcycle as an investment, you should get used to disappointment.

GM

Old 09-02-2015, 05:47 AM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had 5 Harleys over the years and have serviced them myself but none of them were new. When I bought my new street glide I was hesitant about doing my own servicing also. I'm no major mechanic but I can do all the basic stuff so I just did it. After awhile you'll wonder why you would even think of letting someone else work on your bike. I have a jack and put my bike on it once a week just to check everything out and clean it and of course have a few cold ones. Do your own servicing and don't worry about it.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:52 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Do it yourself, even the first 1000miles... Service manual tells you what critical items to check, keep good notes of everything checked, receipts for filter and oil and your fine. Neither HD or any other vehicle maker can force you to use themselves for service unless they are paying for it. I've done all my own service and the one time I had to take it in for warranty work dealer just asked about general maintenance service but didn't question that I did it.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

<p>Take notes and keep receipts and you should be good to go.</p><p>But I get it about the first service.</p>

Old 09-02-2015, 05:55 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
It's a motorcycle, not a retirement account. If you're looking at your motorcycle as an investment, you should get used to disappointment.

GM
When I drop $23,000 on a bike then dump a few grand more in for mods, I call that an investment. I've never had any disappointment with viewing my bikes as something I will have and enjoy long term. Same reason I am meticulous with their cleaning and maintenance. I invest time and money into it, for most people a bike is an emotional purchase, which is why riders are proud of ownership.
Your seem like one of those people who will buy a car, never take care of it, run it into the ground and just get another beater

Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by mndelrosario
When I drop $23,000 on a bike then dump a few grand more in for mods, I call that an investment. I've never had any disappointment with viewing my bikes as something I will have and enjoy long term. Same reason I am meticulous with their cleaning and maintenance. I invest time and money into it, for most people a bike is an emotional purchase, which is why riders are proud of ownership.
Your seem like one of those people who will buy a car, never take care of it, run it into the ground and just get another beater
It's a common thing to split hairs around here so people can feel big, buzzkill, etc. No biggie - internet thing I guess.

No, it's not an investment in monetary terms (because bikes depreciate) but it surely is an investment in happiness/fun. Most of us get that...

OP, do all your own maintenance. Does not affect warranty and you will learn some new and interesting things about your bike.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:05 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp
It's a common thing to split hairs around here so people can feel big, buzzkill, etc. No biggie - internet thing I guess.

No, it's not an investment in monetary terms (because bikes depreciate) but it surely is an investment in happiness/fun. Most of us get that...

OP, do all your own maintenance. Does not affect warranty and you will learn some new and interesting things about your bike.
Invest money/time and care into something that will make you happy. Precisely what I was getting at!

Quick Reply: Do you do your own servicing?