Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may have found the fix for the crappy Sirius Antenna

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Posting to find later

Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 AM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mkguitar: What
kind of wire did you use to extend the line so you could mount it on the tourpak?

That spot is ingenious........

Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I had to modify a car mount kit to add xm to my bike, the wiring was long enough already.

Mike

Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,189 Likes on 8,355 Posts

Originally Posted by EricW
2015 FLHXS. I installed the Sirius kit that came with antenna and it has never been worth a crap. I even mounted the antenna up on the inner fairing and it was still 50% in all but the desert. I have an 09 with the Biketronics setup and it never missed a beat. My 09 will work in the shop better than the 15 works sitting outside.

I got to looking at the differences in antennas and it was noticeable. On the 15 there is an odd (Fakra) connector that connects the antenna wire to the Sat module. It is factory pressed on so you are stuck with that antenna.

I found the Fakra adaptor below and ordered the upgraded Sirius antenna below and the two work great on the 15 so far. I have not been on the road yet, but sitting in the shop with doors closed now works without a hitch. The OEM antenna didn't work that good parked outside. I will update after a ride in the next day or two. Here are the details:

Supplier - http://www.tss-radio.com/?gclid=Cj0K...geUaAvSO8P8HAQ

Adaptor - "SMB to Universal FAKRA Connector" (not the opposite) $7.99

Antenna - T10A Sirius DOT Micro Car Antenna $29.99

OEM Antenna and signal strength (inside closed shop)

New antenna and signal strength (inside closed shop)

OEM on right, new on left

Test location

I'm so happy with this thing for being inside the shop I am going to test it first inside the fairing on a curvy road in the mountains. I'll post back. I hope this is a legit fix, I hated the radio on the bike I love. EW
All of that expense and fooling around when for $5/month you could get commercial free music of your choice with Pandora on your phone. The only thing you would need to connect is a bluetooth (which you should already have) or a cord to your unit.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have found the Sirius/ XM antenna's are cheaply made with very poor connectors on anything they sell. I have a box full of their radio's and antenna's and noticed that not much is interchangeable .
I have used a Tram antenna on my big truck that has held up over 150000 miles and three head units.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:39 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
All of that expense and fooling around when for $5/month you could get commercial free music of your choice with Pandora on your phone. The only thing you would need to connect is a bluetooth (which you should already have) or a cord to your unit.
Not only cheaper but better sound quality and volume with Pandora

Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Not sure Why anyone would go to all the trouble when you can Bluetooth music off your phone? I had the free trial all summer and it just isn't worth paying for even if it didn't drive me crazy cutting in and out all the time. I might give them $10 a year for the weather part but that would be a maybe at best.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:33 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping

All well and good if you're riding in areas that have good cell coverage. Otherwise, you're out of luck. Then there's that data streaming charge I presume....

Steve

Old 09-05-2015, 12:38 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by stellarpod
... Then there's that data streaming charge I presume....

Steve
T-Mobile doesn;t charge for data used for a number of streaming services.

but yeah.....phone/xm/ipod is apples/oranges/pears

mike

Old 09-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I tried the route of Pandora and Itunes radio only to find out where I ride is rough for Data reception. I've tried a few xm antennas but still have issues. It seems that there is no, or little buffer built into these modules.
The only good thing is I've never had it turned off after my free trial was up last September. I've survived 2 or 3 times when they "Hit the big red button" that turned them on for 2 weeks. That may change next week as this week again the 2 week trial is up September 8th.
If it does get shut off, I'll dump the module on Ebay. It's just not worth the shoddy performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I may have found the fix for the crappy Sirius Antenna