Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella T ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Rotella T ????

Can Rotella T be used in the primary. i have some and ive heard on here now and then that guys use Rotella But this is Rotella T. thx in advance

Old 09-05-2015, 01:11 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Thousands use it.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

ok cool. i thought maybe the T was a different kind. Im not familiar with the Rotella brand

Old 09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

As long as it's JASO-MA certified for bike clutches, which it is. I ran the stuff in my Goldwing without any problems.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:08 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
Can Rotella T be used in the primary. i have some and ive heard on here now and then that guys use Rotella But this is Rotella T. thx in advance
===================

ROTELLA T COMES IN MULT GRADES INC 15W-40 ROTELLA T IN STD DINO & SYN , 5W-40 SYN ALSO CALLED ROTELLA T ,ETC.

So which grade & type oil are you reffering to?

Bottom line is will the primary self destruct using improper oil thats not properly designed and or formulated to be used in an HD primary,no it wont,well not anytime soon.

But would using an oil specifically mfg'd and formulated for use in HD primary be a much better choice that could extend the srv'c life of everything in the primary thats lubed by prim oil,YES!.

See below for a hi quality oil specifically mfg'd & formulated for an HD primary case.

Scott

http://performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?cat=65&pg=4

Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil 1-qt
Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil 1-qt. This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturers’ instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity helps eliminate clutch “drag” and slipping.
List Price: $12.04
Price: $7.95

Last edited by wscott; 09-05-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by AZdryheat
As long as it's JASO-MA certified for bike clutches, which it is. I ran the stuff in my Goldwing without any problems.
=========

When i questioned shell oils engineering staff with respect to rotella t 15w-40 in std dino and syn along with the 5-40 syn rotella t on another oil related topic i was researching at the time the shell oil engineer told me those oils had a small amount of friction modifiers in their additive pkg's.

So with that said i'd not rec them for use in a HD prim case especially with a wet clutch because over time in some cases/not all it could lead to clutch slippage.

If your a conservative rider that always ride 1 up with no bag loaded in flat areas not loadeing the clutch as much your likely ok.

But if the bike is modded for a little/or a lot more power ,gets ridden 2up often more aggressively too in mountains loading the clutch a lot more thats where you could over time/miles eventually run into a clutch slip issue especially if your still running stock clutch spring.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-05-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
=========

When i questioned shell oils engineering staff with respect to rotella t 15w-40 in std dino and syn along with the 5-40 syn rotella t on another oil related topic i was researching at the time the shell oil engineer told me those oils had a small amount of friction modifiers in their additive pkg's.

So with that said i'd not rec them for use in a HD prim case especially with a wet clutch because over time in some cases/not all it could lead to clutch slippage.

If your a conservative rider that always ride 1 up with no bag loaded in flat areas not loadeing the clutch as much your likely ok.

But if the bike is modded for a little/or a lot more power ,gets ridden 2up often more aggressively too in mountains loading the clutch a lot more thats where you could over time/miles eventually run into a clutch slip issue especially if your still running stock clutch spring.

Scott
Yeah, I used to do that, Get someone to verify what I wanted to hear because I had already made up my mind. It was what I was gonna do no
matter what anyone else said................

Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The Shell Rotella T6 not T5 or just Rotella is a syn oil spec'd for wet clutches. When you talk about Rotella you must identify the specific version. All squares are rectangles not all rectangles are squares.

I use it in all my bikes now from a Street 750 to a 120R. Walmart has it in 4 qt. containers for under $20. If it did not work with a HD wet clutch it would show up in a clutch being challenged with a 120R. All Shell employees that have HD's use T6. I have talked to many at various semi truck shows over the years where Shell brings in a display and reps. Of course they get it cheap.

Good enough for 600HP diesel engines good enough for a Briggs and Stratton Harley Davidson.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-05-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:53 PM
jumpinjack571
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
the shell rotella t6 not t5 or just rotella is a syn oil spec'd for wet clutches. When you talk about rotella you must identify the specific version. All squares are rectangles not all rectangles are squares.

I use it in all my bikes now from a street 750 to a 120r. Walmart has it in 4 qt. Containers for under $20. If it did not work with a hd wet clutch it would show up in a clutch being challenged with a 120r. All shell employees that have hd's use t6. I have talked to many at various semi truck shows over the years where shell brings in a display and reps. Of course they get it cheap.

Good enough for 600hp diesel engines good enough for a briggs and stratton harley davidson.
i agree whole heartily,
jj

Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Rotella T 15w40 conventional diesel oil is fine for Harley wet clutches as it does not have friction modifiers in it which would harm clutch plates. I also use it in my crankcase, but not in the gear box.

Quick Reply: Rotella T ????