Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Street Glide Special - Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Ford385
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Street Glide Special - Buffeting

Hi All,

New to th e site and new to the Harely world and motorcycles for that mater. In May 2015 I bought by first motorcycle, a Harely 2015 Street Glide Special. Sine purchasing the bike I have tried 5 aftermarket wind shields: 7 & 10" wind splitter, 10" freedom shield, 10 windvest, xlarge Cleariew. I have put the wind deflectors on the bottom of my upper fairing, I have installed lower fairings (mainly because I wanted the two extra speakers), and I have installed the GADS lower tree deflector; none of these thing and/or combo made a dent in the head buffeting I was experiencing.

I then found one post where someone mentioned the Road Glide Delector Kit 57000063 and that the put them on their SG. I bought a set and and can say, from all the other items I purchased and tried, they were the only purchase that actually dramatically reduced the buffeting. I find myself cruising at 80+mph now; before it was all I could do to even pull past 65-70mph.

Just thought I would share in case someone else is having trouble. I spent a lot of money trying to figure it out and the $40 un-modified deflectors did the trick.

I'm 6'1", riding a super solo mustang seat and 14" wild1 Bagget bars.

The defectors do rub just befor full lock; however, they rub the bottom the batwing and are actually pushed back towards the tank. No real harm.

The following users liked this post:
rusty289 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

One persons wind is another persons buffeting.
Glad you seem to have figured it out for you.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford385
Hi All,

New to th e site and new to the Harely world and motorcycles for that mater. In May 2015 I bought by first motorcycle, a Harely 2015 Street Glide Special. Sine purchasing the bike I have tried 5 aftermarket wind shields: 7 & 10" wind splitter, 10" freedom shield, 10 windvest, xlarge Cleariew. I have put the wind deflectors on the bottom of my upper fairing, I have installed lower fairings (mainly because I wanted the two extra speakers), and I have installed the GADS lower tree deflector; none of these thing and/or combo made a dent in the head buffeting I was experiencing.

I then found one post where someone mentioned the Road Glide Delector Kit 57000063 and that the put them on their SG. I bought a set and and can say, from all the other items I purchased and tried, they were the only purchase that actually dramatically reduced the buffeting. I find myself cruising at 80+mph now; before it was all I could do to even pull past 65-70mph.

Just thought I would share in case someone else is having trouble. I spent a lot of money trying to figure it out and the $40 un-modified deflectors did the trick.

The defectors do rub just befor full lock; however, they rub the bottom the batwing and are actually pushed back towards the tank. No real harm.
What helmet are you riding with? I had a great windshield collection going for awhile till I realized using a different helmet made the buffeting stop. When I wear my shorty there is zero buffeting. When I wore my shoei RF1200 I hated my life and couldn't stand riding more than an hour without taking a break. The Shoei GT Air has been pleasant so far albeit a bit heavier on my head.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Thanks for posting about the deflectors, even though I have every known wind deflection device, I'll thow those into the mix too.
My goal is to get rid of the fork mounted deflectors.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 PM
fonso003
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was in the same boat man. I got tired of having to hang all this crap off the bike that in my opinion ruined the way it looked and still have the amount of buffeting that I still had. I ended up trading it in on a road king and am much happier. Something about the stock windshield works better for me as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford385
Hi All,

Funny my buddy and I were just looking at this the other day, I have a 15 RG and picked up the deflectors for it while he has a 14 SG. The bikes were parked beside each other and I said I bet those deflectors would go on your bike just as well as mine. We have not tried it yet but he was considering picking up a set, I'll have to pass this info on to him.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:41 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

Are there fork mounted fang type wind deflectors that will work on a 16 Limited? I had them on my Road King and they were great. My wife says she is getting a lot more wind on the Limited. I put a Long Ride Shield on and it helped but she is still complaining about wind...

Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 AM
irishfootballboy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Freedom shield on my 2010 ultra and it is the best $100 I ever spent on the bike. my buffeting is gone, most of the bugs are gone, my neck doesn't hurt, I can hear sounds I couldn't before, and my wife says it knocked a lot of wind off here too. and it still looks good.