Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:49 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!

Hello everyone. I've got at 2014 SGS and I'm pretty sure it was built on a Monday. So far I've stripped 2 shifter shafts, had an inner primary leak and now a base gasket leak. They've warranted everything but are now refusing to cover the base gasket leak, saying its seepage and it's not covered under the warrantee. Needless to say I'm not very happy. Does anyone have any advice on how to navigate this with the MoCo.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the motor is stock...The first question is... is it the Dealer not covering it or directions from the MoCo saying not to cover it. The majority here will say its a motor related gasket defect and should be covered like any other issue. ie: rocker covers, primary, etc.

Sometimes a lawyer is your only defense but unfortunately, unless you know one that will do you a favor & write a letter. The legal fees can be far more than the cost of getting it repaired. Good Luck

Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Can you try a different dealer?

Old 09-16-2015, 03:29 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

First, there are no base gaskets, they are o-rings.

Second, what does it look like? Oten its just excess assembly lube from the factory and it goes away.

Here's what mine looked like with less than 1000 miles on it. I sprayed brake cleaner on it, and it has not returned 30K miles later.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

As stated above, a Twin Cam motor doesn't have a "gasket" per se on the bottom of the cylinders. It has an o ring that is covered with assembly lube when it's built. When the bike is new (as described above) it will weep a little lube. Clean it up and keep an eye on it. If it's really a leak, it'll become apparent soon enough. If it isn't then you didn't spend a lot of time being frustrated over nothing.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-16-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

You did not mention how many miles you had on the bike and how much warranty time left.I would take the suggestions here and clean up with brake clean and see what happens.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Road King that leaked from the base cylinder. A seep IS a leak and if you have a warranty on it I would get it fixed. As others have said clean the area up and see if the leak returns. If it returns go back to your dealer and if they wont fix it, go to another dealer that will.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser

The dealer is telling me its the MoCo but I'm going to call there customer service line and ask them directly. Any lawyers on here want to do me a favor? Lol!

Last edited by ScrapingFloorBoards; 09-16-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
First, there are no base gaskets, they are o-rings.

Second, what does it look like? Oten its just excess assembly lube from the factory and it goes away.

Here's what mine looked like with less than 1000 miles on it. I sprayed brake cleaner on it, and it has not returned 30K miles later.

Thanks for the correction.I had no idea. When did the switch to an O-ring? I've tried cleaning it and it returned. So I'm pretty sure its not assy lube.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:27 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GTK
You did not mention how many miles you had on the bike and how much warranty time left.I would take the suggestions here and clean up with brake clean and see what happens.
Almost 9,000 miles and Ive had it for a year so a year left on the warrantee.

Quick Reply: Base gasket leak it not covered under warrantee? WTF!!