Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding from Denver to LA

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM
JonnyVegas
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I think where some of us are going is riding the SW is awesome and fun- a million route options and roads to nowhere
LV and LA and the area in between are not so much awesome unless you have a specific reason to do them- the route options are limited and depending on time of day progress can be slooow.
esp given your time constraint

anywhere is LA will be congested from 3 to 70pm, I15 out of Vegas is very think on Sunday afternoons.

So OP is more depends on what you want to do and see.

if LV and LA are on the must do, must see...hit the interstates so you can run 130 KPH.
from the interstates you'll see some great scenery- you just won't be "in it"

it's kinda the difference between tooling Ontario Hwy 3 and the 403...

Mike

i gotta do the 401 tomorrow

Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I think where some of us are going is riding the SW is awesome and fun- a million route options and roads to nowhere
LV and LA and the area in between are not so much awesome unless you have a specific reason to do them- the route options are limited and depending on time of day progress can be slooow.
esp given your time constraint

anywhere is LA will be congested from 3 to 70pm, I15 out of Vegas is very think on Sunday afternoons.

So OP is more depends on what you want to do and see.

if LV and LA are on the must do, must see...hit the interstates so you can run 130 KPH.
from the interstates you'll see some great scenery- you just won't be "in it"

it's kinda the difference between tooling Ontario Hwy 3 and the 403...

Mike
Hey mkguitar, how do you know about highway 3 and the 403?

We're not taking our bikes. We're renting Harley's in Denver and leaving them in LA. If all goes well I think I will try to plan a ride like this and take my own bike next year.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I grew up around Ottawa, lived in TO in the 80's...and just did HWY 3 a month ago Niagara to Long Point PP, then cross at Windsor.

I travel the world for a living, and inbetween jobs travel for fun.

Mike

Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

I grew up around Ottawa, lived in TO in the 80's...and just did HWY 3 a month ago Niagara to Long Point PP, then cross at Windsor.

I travel the world for a living, and inbetween jobs travel for fun.

Mike
Sounds like a nice trip. I live less than an hour from Long Point. I hope you got to ride the waterfront trail from Long Point toward windsor. It's a nice stretch along the lake.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

yes, I remember when Erie wasn;t so nice in the early 70's... I had a good swim at LPPP. back then it might have been a walk.

You guys have a great trip.

not sure on when you get out of Denver and which route you'll take but Pagosa springs and the hot springs could be a good first night.
I like to stay at the San Juan inn in mexican hat on the edge of monument valley...town closes early you gotta eat by 8

from there you could do monument valley and grand canyon stopping in tusayan ( south rim)- the best western does hog discount and has bowling alley in the basement...probably the best food too ( the cowboy bbq places are tourist traps) or you could make williams...then you are a nice dayride on rt66 then kingman and up to vegas

A cool detour could be oatman, AZ

mike

Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Taking 70 out of Denver try taking Loveland pass and rt 6 back up to Silverthorne then continue on west to Utah.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:48 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Highway 550 is scheduled for roadwork , closed most of the day, when you are passing through CO, between Ouray and Silverton.
Google "CDOT Red Mountain Pass".

Old 09-19-2015, 05:14 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I actually just got back from a 2 day road trip
I-70 up the hill - over Loveland Pass - 35 degrees and overcast at the top, took 9 down to Silverthorne to top off and stretch the legs - 40 degrees and light snow flurries, jumped back on 70 - over Vail pass to Minturn - took 24 thru Red Cliff past the 10th Mtn Divisions old training grounds to Leadville, the sun finally started to appear from behind the clouds and was mid 40's @ 11am - then stayed on 24 to 82, over Independence pass thru Aspen, Out to Carbondale and down 133 towards 50 & Gunnison 70 degrees - just shy of 400 miles - left at 8am, rolled in at 7pm - the leaves in this area are going to peak this week but the further south you run, the later they will peak - thus they all may be peaked by the time you get here Oct 1.
From Gunnison - 31 degrees when I left at 8am - we took 50 back to 285, Buena Vista - Conifer & home to Denver - where it's 80 degrees now.
The roads are in great shape, yes a few are doing work in prep for winter - but you should have a great trip - enjoy and be safe

Old 09-30-2015, 02:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Hope you Guys have a nice trip, you'll be on the cusp of a low pressure system splitting Colorado, watch the weather... it should be clear and sunny on the West side of the front
PHX today edging on a record at 106º...up North it'll be 20~25º cooler
85 at 4 corners, 78 in Flagstaff.

It is possible that the US Government may do it's bi-annual funding shut down tonight- which means the National Parks will be closed..such as The Grand Canyon.
Other services and facilities will also be curtailed.
Hopefully you do immigration at Pearson rather than denver.

just keep an eye on this in case it affects your plans- if the GC is closed then 64 will be closed gate to gate...no drive throughs.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-30-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Thanks Mike,
I haven't heard of a funding shut down before. I'll keep my fingers crossed there isn't one. 80-85 is perfect for me, I hope we are out of Colorado before it rains.

Quick Reply: Riding from Denver to LA