Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-haul trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default U-haul trailer?

Hello all -

Has anyone ever used the U-Haul 5x9 trailer (with ramp and built-in motorcycle chock) to haul a touring-sized Harley?

How well does the built-in chock up front work?
Will it keep the bike upright while you tie it down?

Here's the trailer I'm referring to:
http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Ut...amp-Rental/RT/

Only need it for a trip of about 350 miles (one day).

Thanks....

Old 09-17-2015, 09:50 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I used one without a chock and it worked fine, only went 8 miles though. I used a 6x12 one and hauled 2 road kings about 80 miles and was ok. Just check your tie downs, ball for tightness, if the hitch is sloppy it makes everything move.
Just check everything periodically and youlll be fine. Triple check the rails or tie down loops in the trailer, remember these are abused by dumb people that rented before you.
I found the ribbed floor held the tire in the groove very well.

Do you know they have a motorcycle specific trailer you can rent? Its low to the ground and has a nose shield to protects it from rocks. Thats what I was going to rent that time but the welded rails had cracked welds so I took the 5x9 one.

Last edited by bagman1; 09-17-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used one a couple of times to haul my bike in for service.
Bike needed to stay for a couple of days and I had no way to get home once I rode it to shop, so I rented the U-Haul trailer.
Worked fine for me.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used those trailers a few times, worked great and was under $20.00 for the day.
Now I have only hauled one or the other of my FXRs, but you'll be fine I expect.
The "chock" is just a narrow indent outwards, in the front wall of the trailer.

Attached Thumbnails U-haul trailer?-trailer.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Damn_Yankee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used one to haul a softail. It worked great, but the chock in mine was just a block with a v-shaped channel in it... it didn't hold the bike upright on it's own.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used the Motorcycle Trailer to take my Chopper, I'm building, to the welder. It pulled nice behind my Suburban but it was a lighter bike.

If you have an option, get the newer trailer with the LED tail lights. I've used an older and a newer Motorcycle Trailer and the newer was much better than the older.

The Motorcycle Trailer is only about $15.00 per day. I would think the 5x9 Utility Trailer with Ramp would be more.

From their website: Our motorcycle trailers for rent have a maximum towing capacity of 950 lbs.
5x9 Utility Trailer with Ramp had a loading capacity of 1,600 lbs.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:58 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I used one to bring a bike from Virginia to San Antonio.

Works great.

It will not hold the bike upright without a strap on it, however.

Ride it into the chock, put the kickstand down, strap the front left, but don't pull into the suspension at all, strap will feel loose. Strap the front right, as you tighten the front right, stand the bike up, this will pull the front left tight, tighten the front right until the bike is level. Add a few more straps to stop lateral movement of the rear, and for safety.

Easy peasy.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Shep42
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is a little different twist I own a flat bed 10' with a ranp and bought a chock. as long as I get the my 85 Electra glide in straight it will stand while I tie it down. When it is a little off, it still easy to get one tie down on, on the away side to hold it upright. I haul my my bike a lot, mainly to get my trailer where I need it, it doubles as my boat trailer for a 12 ft port-a-boat (with wheels) I have a v mounted on the top rail that the front of my boat sits in and both work great for me.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I used the same U-Haul trailer a couple of weeks ago to pick up my bike from the dealer in Albuquerque where I bought it. Didn't have anyone to drive me up, so I had to trailer my bike home. Strap it down as SafetyMan indicated above and you will be fine. I stopped after about 5 miles to re-check the straps since the road was bumpy and if anything came loose it would have. After that, I checked them when I stopped for gas/food/restroom (yeah, I took my time, enjoyed the scenic desert view and rain coming down).