Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Press Start, hear pop, no start, voltage drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Press Start, hear pop, no start, voltage drop

I posted this in electrical as well.

Bike ran fine a week ago. (Bike is a 2010 flhtk with 30k miles and no problems til now). Took bike out a week later. Tried to start and

heard a pop. After pop heard lots of chatter. Next day I looked into problem and here is what is happening:

I put a volt meter on battery after charging the battery. charged to 13 volts. Put back in bike, check voltage and at 12.8 volts, turned

on main switch and run/stop button and pressed starter button and hear a pop after which lighting relay chatters. Pulled lighting relay

and System relay chatters.
Notice on volt meter voltage drops from 12.8 to around 5 volts. Turn main switch off and voltage climbs slowly. Once voltage gets to 12

volts I can turn on main switch and run switch and all lights work, fuel pump come on, turn signals, horn,
radio, etc... all work .Once I hit start switch I get a pop ( which I traced to starter. Sounds like it is stuck) and the symptons start

over again. Ie..voltage drops to 5v and lighting relay chatters. I remove it and system relay chatters. I remove it and once voltage

climbs to 12v all electrical works. I get a code of p1003. I replaced the starter, system, and lighting relay since they were inexpensive

but same problem. All battery connections look tight. Battery is about 2.5 years old, never tendered, and has shown signs in the past of

slow starts but eventually cranks. Before I throw real money at it I am wonndering if this is a starter issue or a bad battery that shows

when I hit the start button and the starter pops like it can't turn or something else. (Had my hand on starter when pressing start button

and it acts like it is locked or can't turn.). I did add chrome switch housings and 12" apes and extended wiring but that was 3 years ago

and never had a problem in over 25,000 miles. Every thing I read is possible bad battery but want to get opinion of experts here first.

the relays were inexpensive to replace but want to make sure before throwing parts at it. Since battery is over 2 years old and never

tendered I plan to get a new one but wondering if it could possibly be something else. Bike has been flawless otherwise.

thanks for any help

Duck

Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

your battery is duff.

and all that chattering is putting carbon on teh contacts in your relays

it shows the 12 volts ( or whatever) but cannot supply any current at that speed. ( volts is a measurement of how quickly the electrons are flowing- amps or current is a measurement of the force with which they move) ---see correction in post below-it was late)

many of us get our big crank batteries from batterymart on ebay or amazon, about $100 to your door.

with a new battery, charge it ( charger not a "tender") first then install it.

the nylon pull strap under your old battery may be worn through- careful you don;t drop the battery on your tank or toes

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-24-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: referenced correction- duh!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I agree, battery first. Big Crank brand works for me. Clean and tighten cables well.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Sounds like a classic case of dirty or corroded cables to me. I'd take them off and clean them,and the battery posts,and retry. A simple load test will tell you if the battery is good or not.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Press Start, hear pop, no start, voltage drop

Load test the battery. 12+ volts mean nothing if doesn't have the amps to crank. If it was me, I'd just go ahead and replace battery first.

The following users liked this post:
62hdbiker (04-17-2024)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
your battery is duff.

and all that chattering is putting carbon on teh contacts in your relays

it shows the 12 volts ( or whatever) but cannot supply any current at that speed. ( volts is a measurement of how quickly the electrons are flowing- amps or current is a measurement of the force with which they move)

many of us get our big crank batteries from batterymart on ebay or amazon, about $100 to your door.

with a new battery, charge it ( charger not a "tender") first then install it.

the nylon pull strap under your old battery may be worn through- careful you don;t drop the battery on your tank or toes

mike
I think Mikes right, pull the battery and get it tested. Not sure what your Pop might be.

Mike, I think you meant to say: Amps or current is a measurement of how quickly the electrons are flowing- Voltage is a measurement of the force with which they move.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:39 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

Yup...current is similar to water flow rate and voltage is similar to water pressure

Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Duck
I posted this in electrical as well.

Bike ran fine a week ago. (Bike is a 2010 flhtk with 30k miles and no problems til now). Took bike out a week later. Tried to start and

heard a pop. After pop heard lots of chatter. Next day I looked into problem and here is what is happening:

I put a volt meter on battery after charging the battery. charged to 13 volts. Put back in bike, check voltage and at 12.8 volts, turned

on main switch and run/stop button and pressed starter button and hear a pop after which lighting relay chatters. Pulled lighting relay

and System relay chatters.
Notice on volt meter voltage drops from 12.8 to around 5 volts. Turn main switch off and voltage climbs slowly. Once voltage gets to 12

volts I can turn on main switch and run switch and all lights work, fuel pump come on, turn signals, horn,
radio, etc... all work .Once I hit start switch I get a pop ( which I traced to starter. Sounds like it is stuck) and the symptons start

over again. Ie..voltage drops to 5v and lighting relay chatters. I remove it and system relay chatters. I remove it and once voltage

climbs to 12v all electrical works. I get a code of p1003. I replaced the starter, system, and lighting relay since they were inexpensive

but same problem. All battery connections look tight. Battery is about 2.5 years old, never tendered, and has shown signs in the past of

slow starts but eventually cranks. Before I throw real money at it I am wonndering if this is a starter issue or a bad battery that shows

when I hit the start button and the starter pops like it can't turn or something else. (Had my hand on starter when pressing start button

and it acts like it is locked or can't turn.). I did add chrome switch housings and 12" apes and extended wiring but that was 3 years ago

and never had a problem in over 25,000 miles. Every thing I read is possible bad battery but want to get opinion of experts here first.

the relays were inexpensive to replace but want to make sure before throwing parts at it. Since battery is over 2 years old and never

tendered I plan to get a new one but wondering if it could possibly be something else. Bike has been flawless otherwise.

thanks for any help

Duck
==========================

Seems like the battery too dump or possibly bad connection or relay someplace too.

But i'd suspect battery at this point.

With that said here are some good prices on good quality higher output agm batteries then HD's much more expensive $180 agm repl battery.

Scott

==========================================

Here ya go,some of the best prices on upgraded more powerful Maint free fact activated AGM stock type batteries.

Stock HD repl fact act mant free AGM battery is 385cca at a whopping $180+.

These same type maint free fact activated agm batteries are higher output @ 400cca , 500cca & 600cca at $20 , $70 to as much as $100 less for a quality Deka 400cca AGM battery then hd's lower output repl battery.

See below links for details.

Scott

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deka-ETX30L-...item1c573cfe0f

http://powersportbatteries.com/more-...nk-etx30l.html

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121429861963

Old 09-24-2015, 03:16 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Bad battery , and why would you replace all that other stuff before doing the simple stuff? A simple jump start should tell you if it is in fact the battery.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a voltometer?

The first thing I would do is dig the probes into the lead of the battery and hold them tight with each hand (see note) while an assistant hits the start button. If the juice goes way down, the battery is shot, if not, trace along to find the drop.

Note- One of the fundementals of voltometers is always either clamp one probe to ground, or hold both in a single hand. You never want one probe in each hand, but this is just 12 V.

Quick Reply: Press Start, hear pop, no start, voltage drop