Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble/wave

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:35 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Wobble/wave

03 rkc. 100,000 miles. At about 80,000 I did ohlins rear shocks. Love them. Still lots of wobble in front, but better. So, added progressive tour link at 85,000. Made a huge diff in high speed curves, but still had the wobble. Just improved. But now, this year, bike seems back to its old ways. I had engine rebuild at 85,000 K as well and new front motor mount and progressive springs in front.
Just FYI... I also have updated 09 oil pan. Not sure if this changes any possible mods that may be out there???

What should my next step(s) be?

Old 09-26-2015, 04:47 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

buy a new bike... i don't know why i said that. first thing that came to mind i guess. i do believe this is something your just gonna have to deal with unless you upgrade to a 09 or newer bike. go on its only money. you can even keep your current bike. what wife say you cant have one? sissy listening to your wife. a real man would just buy a new bike. so what if you cant pay your rent or mortgage. you got a new bike. you have to eat ? ppfffttt that's bs there are homeless shelters that will feed you. all that matter is that you have a new bike. that's how id fix your problem if i was you. cant wait to see pics of your new bike. unless of course your to scared of the wife or not eating or having somewhere to live. in that case turn in your man card at the door when you leave and don't come back. (this was sarcasm some people dont know what that is)

Last edited by mainboom150; 09-26-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: because
Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Has the steering head bearings ever been adjusted? Sounds like they need tightened up. That should calm it back down.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:25 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mainboom150
buy a new bike... i don't know why i said that. first thing that came to mind i guess. i do believe this is something your just gonna have to deal with unless you upgrade to a 09 or newer bike. go on its only money. you can even keep your current bike. what wife say you cant have one? sissy listening to your wife. a real man would just buy a new bike. so what if you cant pay your rent or mortgage. you got a new bike. you have to eat ? ppfffttt that's bs there are homeless shelters that will feed you. all that matter is that you have a new bike. that's how id fix your problem if i was you. cant wait to see pics of your new bike. unless of course your to scared of the wife or not eating or having somewhere to live. in that case turn in your man card at the door when you leave and don't come back. (this was sarcasm some people dont know what that is)
I wasn't quite sure if you were drunk or high. Or both. Seriously. And I'm well versed in sarcasm

I actually did buy a new bike this year to boot lol

Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Use the search function. There are several major threads on this. Several with a checklist you can run down.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:12 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

For 08 and older bikes, check the cleve bushings in the swingarm. They are made out of aluminum and i have seen them wear out in as little as 12 k miles.

Drop the swingarm, replace the cleve bushings with bearings from (sta bo ) and you will notice a world of difference

I did this to my 04 bike and it now handles like its on rails
A brace like tru track just masks these worn bushings

Old 09-27-2015, 08:20 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
Use the search function. There are several major threads on this. Several with a checklist you can run down.
This is always my favorite post.....

I did. And actually have them bookmarked from past searches. I felt like starting a new thread, so I did

Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Steering head adjustment, Maybe after 100000 miles or so new bearings in both steering and wheel too. This all comes to mind, I am sure you have checked the front tire for bad wear.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:16 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
This is always my favorite post.....

I did. And actually have them bookmarked from past searches. I felt like starting a new thread, so I did
What is the best oil?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

First time today had mine over a hundred a it went into a scary wobble, most the time it's just fine. Have everything up to par. Sure it was the blocks past there limit, even though they look like new. Just had to hit the c-note once, 80 really all I do most the time. Link to those bearings would be nice. The only other thing I've seen is upgrade to newer swing arm with the link upgrade.

Quick Reply: Wobble/wave