Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 ultra classic primary drain plug

Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 2005 ultra classic primary drain plug

I have a 2005 ultra classic. No where in the service manual can I find the correct tool used to remove the primary drain plug. Does anyone know what size torx wrench or Allen size this drain plug is. Also if you know what page it's on in the service manual that would also be nice . Thanks in advance Jonnierock

Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The manual does not say what size the fastener is, only that it is on the front left side of the pan. It also says to torque it to 14-21 ft-lbs when reinstalling. Page 1.3

Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

My recommendation is to use a socket to remove and install it. That drain bolt has an allen key in the center but a bolt flat outer perimeter. Using a socket is much easier and you have a much more solid grip on the bolt. This is what I do with all of my bikes.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,873 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Slow down fellas, he is asking about the "Primary Drain Plug" which is the small allen plug on the primary cover, left side of the bike.

OP, I just changed all the fluids on my 2005, do not remember the size but if you are attempting to do the change yourself I will assume you have a set of allen keys. It is not metric if that helps. It is the small bolt under the derby cover, it looks different than the bolts holding the primary cover in place, kind of recessed looking.

You will also need to remove your derby cover to refill the fluid and the inspection cover to check your chain tension. To remove the derby cover you are going to need to remove the left passenger floor board, again an allen head bolt, large size.

If you do not have, you need:

- set of allen sockets
- set of torx sockets
- HD service manual

PS the first chapter of the manual is all about scheduled maintenance, the primary fluid changing procedure is there.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Duh, my bad. It says primary right there, don't know how I missed it.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Slow down fellas, he is asking about the "Primary Drain Plug" which is the small allen plug on the primary cover, left side of the bike.

OP, I just changed all the fluids on my 2005, do not remember the size but if you are attempting to do the change yourself I will assume you have a set of allen keys. It is not metric if that helps. It is the small bolt under the derby cover, it looks different than the bolts holding the primary cover in place, kind of recessed looking.

You will also need to remove your derby cover to refill the fluid and the inspection cover to check your chain tension. To remove the derby cover you are going to need to remove the left passenger floor board, again an allen head bolt, large size.

If you do not have, you need:

- set of allen sockets
- set of torx sockets
- HD service manual

PS the first chapter of the manual is all about scheduled maintenance, the primary fluid changing procedure is there.

I completely understand the procedure, and know where the plug is located, I was just was wondering about the tool used to loosen the drain plug. So your saying that it is positively an allen wrench and not a torx. I just want to use the correct tool so not as to stripe the plug out.
Thanks again Jonnierock

Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,873 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Yes, all drain plugs are Allen.

All covers are Torx.

Why? No idea why the MoCo changes them around. A nice set of ratchet attachments for both types is a good investment. And every once in a while you will run into a metric allen, like the bolt to take off the lower legs.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

T27.....

Old 09-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

A 1/4 hex or a 5/8" SAE socket will fit the primary, transmission or crankcase drain plugs. All 3 are the same.
A hex key will fit in the center of the plug or the SAE socket will fit the outside of the plug. Pretty handy.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1/4 inch allen head or 5/8 inch open end/box wrench?

It's in a note in the '07 manual in the section for changing Primary Chain Lubricant.

Last edited by Woodchuck; 09-29-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Location of wrench info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 ultra classic primary drain plug