Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done with stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:34 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelikesbikes
Dude, don't let the secret out. Then again the newest touring bike I have owned is on 05. Can't speak for the new models other than the ones I have taken for short rides. May upgrade the front tubes but the rear air is fine.
About 60k miles ago, I installed 13" Works Steel Tracker shocks which were far superior to the stock shorty air shocks. In June, I ordered my #2 Ohlins, 13.25" with 3.7" travel from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. I thought the Works were pretty good. No comparison to the Ohlins. My wife, with her bad back completely endorses this purchase. Sharp edged bumps, they're not sharp anymore. Until you experience something better, how do you know? My bike has a little better than 85k on it now. I ride enough to appreciate the drastic improvement. Your back and butt will thank you. If it's a bar hopper with low mileage, never mind.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:59 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I too drank the cool-aid and can say I went back to the oem's that came on my RK and they ride twice as good the as aftermarket shocks I bought.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Me likely my Ohlins 2-2a's for over 20k happy miles!

I got tired my stockers losing air. Now my pump only comes out for my friends motorcycle when they need air.

YB

Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
About 60k miles ago, I installed 13" Works Steel Tracker shocks which were far superior to the stock shorty air shocks. In June, I ordered my #2 Ohlins, 13.25" with 3.7" travel from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. I thought the Works were pretty good. No comparison to the Ohlins. My wife, with her bad back completely endorses this purchase. Sharp edged bumps, they're not sharp anymore. Until you experience something better, how do you know? My bike has a little better than 85k on it now. I ride enough to appreciate the drastic improvement. Your back and butt will thank you. If it's a bar hopper with low mileage, never mind.
Did you ever have your Works rebuilt? At 60k miles they should have been rebuilt two times. Also, Steel Trackers now come with an adjustable preload to setup proper sag. They did not always come that way. For $90 Works will rebuild both shocks. If you and the misses gained a few lbs in the past 60k miles, Works could of also changed out springs. Anyway, if you never had the Works rebuilt and/or your weight changed, your comparison may be skewed a bit.

Last edited by KumaRide; 10-03-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Did you ever have your Works rebuilt? At 60k miles they should have been rebuilt two times.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 512 Posts

We're not talking about air bags are we?

Buddy of mine was playing with his new
rear air bags/bag (?) with killer reviews.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
Stock shocks seem fine to me. 265lbs. keep it at 30lbs of air. Never have bottomed out. Hope the shocks you get do what you are looking for.
I feel for the OP. I "only" weigh 175 lbs and it didn't matter how much air I had when I was solo. Now.... When riding 2up? The bike rode fantastic. I too had to replace the shocks. I went with the hand adjustable premium and noticed a huge difference. The rear end doesn't wander when cornering and even if I hit that huge pot hole, I now only worry about bending the rim, not flying 6 inches off the seat.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Did you ever have your Works rebuilt? At 60k miles they should have been rebuilt two times. Also, Steel Trackers now come with an adjustable preload to setup proper sag. They did not always come that way. For $90 Works will rebuild both shocks. If you and the misses gained a few lbs in the past 60k miles, Works could of also changed out springs. Anyway, if you never had the Works rebuilt and/or your weight changed, your comparison may be skewed a bit.
The fact is, as well as the Works performed from the onset, having the springs and valving both matched with your weight and riding style, ending up with a custom result, there was no comparison to an off the shelf purchase. At the time I ordered the Works, there were 2 spring options, normal and heavy. Weighing 250, I ordered the heavy. The compliance and performance were never as good as these Ohlins. The Works lacked the ability to fine tune the dampening like the Ohlins. I've had the benefit of trying both. The slight improvement in travel may also provide some benefit.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
I too drank the cool-aid and can say I went back to the oem's that came on my RK and they ride twice as good the as aftermarket shocks I bought.
We're not talking about ordinary aftermarket here. Try custom-built Ohlins and you'll be on Cloud 9!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:45 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by surfcitybeach
I'll have to do the forks as well, to complete the package. Can't wait to find out......
Definitely do the fronts. The overall effect is quite dramatic in terms of handling and comfort.

Quick Reply: Done with stock shocks