Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tire gauge test

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Too much to think about on a day off! lol

Good info though and reminder that not all gauges are the same. I use the same tire gauge to at least be consistent.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou'sUltra
Too much to think about on a day off! lol

Good info though and reminder that not all gauges are the same. I use the same tire gauge to at least be consistent.
I use the same tire gauge to at least be consistent ... There ya go :>)

Old 10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Many tire gauges are like eggs, you drop them and they are done accuracy wise. That is why you see some tire gauges that have the rubber covers for protection. If you have an older gauge giving you bad readings, it more than likely hit the ground once to many times. Treat them well and they will be there for you when you need them. If you want to do a good quality/test comparison, try it with new gauges. Longacre makes some awesome gauges.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
When I was at engineering college, a long time ago, we tested a few tyre gauges and the pencil type were surprisingly accurate. I use a dial type nowadays, but to buy a calibrated one ain't cheap. Unfortunately 'calibrated' all too often simply means a gauge has graduated markings, not that it has been verified as accurate.
I agree with you concerning the pencil gage: one piston with one coaxial compression spring provide a reliable instrument when kept clean. The drag of the low-mass graduated plunger has negligible effect (loss of accuracy) on the displacement of the moving piston.

The dial gage uses many parts:
- a 'Bourdon' tube fixed to the dial,
- an adjustable link to set the angular deflection,
- a set of gears,
- a hairspring to compensate play between the gears,
- a needle positioned by taper fit over a polished shaft ...
Drop the dial gage once and you have many sources of error.

A quality 'Piezo' or 'Polysilicon' pressure sensor is affordable and sufficiently accurate for most calibrations. Used with a Milton® 699 air chuck, you have the best of both worlds

I have a fancy 4" Intercomp gage labeled "Made in the USA" on it's front side and "CE" (China Export) on the rear; it's off by 2psi @ 30psi compared to the Schrader® gage from the technical inspection shop. My Milton® S921 pencil gage is spot on the value given by the Schrader® while the multi-standard cheap inflater gage is off by 4-5psi.
Rubber protections around my gages don't prevent the needles from bouncing back and forth so accuracy and repeatability are only wishful thinking.
I use a 2" (4Bar) rear mount industrial gage on my inflater; my pencil gage does the rest.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:59 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I send all my DMM, torque wrenches, pressure gauges (O2 and N2) and mega ohm meters to be calibrated every year. One year, I sent the HD shock digital gauge in too, it passed with flying colors at 3 to 50 psi.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Expat1
I have a fancy 4" Intercomp gage labeled "Made in the USA" on it's front side and "CE" (China Export) on the rear; it's off by 2psi @ 30psi compared to the Schrader® gage from the technical inspection shop.
That CE mark could simply be a conformity mark, for sale in Europe, nothing to do with China!

"The CE mark is required for all new products which are subject to one or more of the European product safety Directives."

Old 10-04-2015, 05:31 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoodlives
Several years ago I became obsessed with finding an accurate tire pressure gauge.

For my "standard", I built a mercury manometer. Because of size limitations, mine is only capable of going from 0 to 32 psi. Even at that it stands almost 7-feet tall including the valves and frame. It is calibrated at 0.5 psi increments. Note that 0.5 psi results in a vertical change in mercury level of slightly over 1/2". Therefore it is easy to estimate down to ounces of psi. The vertical scale was calculated mathematically and then engraved accurately on a milling machine.

I purchased several of the gauges you mentioned in the op plus a few others I had laying around. Most were close . . . varying within +/- 2 psi. Only one was right on from 5 to 32 psi.

I won't mention brands because the most accurate one I have might have been a fluke. I will say, however, that the most expensive one I purchased was not the most accurate. In fact, the cheapest one [a digital] was one of the most accurate.

The worst were the "pencil" type.
any pics your 7ft mano-meter:icon_worthle ss:

Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 PM
harfooz
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[...]
I have a fancy 4" Intercomp gage labeled "Made in the USA" on it's front side and "CE" (China Export) on the rear; it's off by 2psi @ 30psi compared to the Schrader® gage from the technical inspection shop.
]...]
If it's not too much trouble, could you post a picture of the CE logo?

I'm thinking that's going to be the logo indicating your American-made gauge meets a European standard.

Does it look like this one?

'fooz

Old 10-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That CE mark could simply be a conformity mark, for sale in Europe, nothing to do with China!

"The CE mark is required for all new products which are subject to one or more of the European product safety Directives."
Well, this may not make you laugh:

The EU mark is drawn from two adjacent circles, the Chinese logo uses intersecting circles. Harley parts often carry with the 'thinner' one ...

Old 10-05-2015, 03:49 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Well, this may not make you laugh:

The EU mark is drawn from two adjacent circles, the Chinese logo uses intersecting circles. Harley parts often carry with the 'thinner' one ...

AWww ! Thats not fair ! Everyone (Country) should get to use the identical symbol, regardless of the quality of what they produce. Isn't that what they're teaching kids in school these days ?

Quick Reply: Cheap tire gauge test