Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tire gauge test

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:52 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
AWww ! Thats not fair ! Everyone (Country) should get to use the identical symbol, regardless of the quality of what they produce. Isn't that what they're teaching kids in school these days ?

IT'S CHINA - Therefore in stands for Copy Everything

Old 10-05-2015, 03:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

You chaps seem to be fixated on China and with good reason, after all your wheels were made there!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:48 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You chaps seem to be fixated on China and with good reason, after all your wheels were made there!
yea,and were lucky if they are round.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoodlives
...I won't mention brands because the most accurate one I have might have been a fluke. I will say, however, that the most expensive one I purchased was not the most accurate. In fact, the cheapest one [a digital] was one of the most accurate...
You really don't have to keep your results a secret...

Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 AM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't find the HF guage on their website. Is it an in store only deal?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
yea,and were lucky if they are round.
Not onry that, but rucky if they are lound too.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:21 PM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Manometer Pictures

At least one previous poster wanted to see the pics so here we go. A couple of notes to hopefully make some of what you see clear.

All the PVC pipes are simply air chambers. I wanted as much air "volume" in the system so that when a gauge is attached and a small amount of air is lost that the mercury level changes as little as possible.

There are 2 vertical tubes 1/2-inch in diameter, connected at the bottom in typical manometer fashion. They are filled half-way with mercury. At rest, exposed to atmospheric pressure, determines the "Zero" on the scale.

There are two air input points. Both, BTW, flexible hose extensions purchased from Harley Davidson. One runs down toward the bottom, has a check valve and quick disconnect. This is where the "foot pump" attaches.

The other hose is where the gauge under test is connected.

Using the foot pump you can raise the pressure in the system, observe the pressure indicated by the mercury level and compare to the gauge reading on the gauge in your hand.

Someone also wanted to know the brand of my gauges. Keep in mind that the actual gauge I have might or might not be indicative of all similar models.

The most accurate is the "Joe's Racing 32310". It was right on from the lowest reading up thru 32 psi, the highest my manometer can go.

The most expensive was the "Motion Pro 08-0402". It varied in accuracy and was 0.75 psi low at 32 psi. This is w/in factory specs.

My "Auto Gage" is 1.5 psi high @ 32 psi. The accuracy improves at lower pressures ending up 0.5 psi high @ 8 psi.

My digital "Accutire MS-4350B", which reads in increments of 0.5 psi, was right on up to 32 psi.

I had several pencil type gauges. Most were w/in 2 psi thru 32 psi. One was totally off the charts, probably due to rough handling and dirt, that I cut open just to see how they work.

Attached Thumbnails Cheap tire gauge test-dsc_6167.jpg   Cheap tire gauge test-dsc_6169.jpg   Cheap tire gauge test-dsc_6170.jpg   Cheap tire gauge test-dsc_6168.jpg   Cheap tire gauge test-dsc_6171.jpg  

Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that this matters much...

I have a dial gauge with a hose and 90* chuck (to allow access to those 28 spoke stock wheels on 09-13 Ultras & Limiteds).

Later, put t-valves on the wheels to allow for tire pressure monitoring system transmitters to be mounted up top and have a 90* schrader to be able to double check reading and add air if needed.

I found the dial gauge and the TPMS readings to be within 1 or 2 tenths of a pound...

Gives a warm and fuzzy on my tire pressure...

Recognizing, of course, both devices could be off by the same amount...

;^)

Old 10-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoodlives

I wanted as much air "volume" in the system so that when a gauge is attached and a small amount of air is lost that the mercury level changes as little as possible.
Are you using mercury columns without any means of collection (drip tray) ?

Old 10-05-2015, 03:16 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
Well, this may not make you laugh:

The EU mark is drawn from two adjacent circles, the Chinese logo uses intersecting circles. Harley parts often carry with the 'thinner' one ...

Not to start a war or anything, but this is from;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

"A very similar CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products. However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008. The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European legislation."

"There are mechanisms in place to ensure that the CE marking is put on products correctly. Controlling products bearing CE marking is the responsibility of public authorities in Member States, in cooperation with the European Commission. Citizens may contact national market surveillance authorities if the misuse of the CE marking is suspected or if a product's safety is questioned.

The procedures, measures and sanctions applying to counterfeiting of the CE marking vary according to the respective Member State's national administrative and penal law. Depending on the seriousness of the crime, economic operators may be liable to a fine and in some circumstances, imprisonment. However, if the product is not regarded as an imminent safety risk, the manufacturer may be given an opportunity to ensure that the product is in conformity to the applicable legislation before it is obliged to take the product off the market."

To be clear then, it is known that the CE mark is incorrectly or fraudulently applied, as is the UL mark. However, speaking from experience, we sell product manufactured in the US where the CE mark has the letters closer together than not. I know the product is manufactured in the US because I have been to the factory and seen it for myself.

The whole thing is a myth started by someone who either knew the mark to be fraudulent, or assumed because the spacing was different and the product labelled as such came from China. OR maybe they just hate Chinese imports ... God knows it's tough on the economy and our exports. The product being Chinese has nothing to do with the fact that it bears a CE mark of adjacent or intersecting circles. An easy myth to catch on in these times.

Quick Reply: Cheap tire gauge test