Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Master Cylinder question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:43 PM
roadhog0120
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Master Cylinder question.

I have a 07 Ultra Classic that I didn't ride for about 6 weeks, too damn hot to ride here is TX. I took it out and my rear brakes only had a little stopping power. The pads are good so I replaced the brake fluid which was dirty and that didn't fix the problem. Is there a way to know if it's the Master Cylinder or the caliper?

Thanks

Old 10-04-2015, 01:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

a leaky master cylinder will make pressure ( like when you come to a stop), then slowly bleed down as you sit there with your foot on the pedal...there may not be any fluid leak- it could be leaking internally past the seals.

mike

Old 10-04-2015, 02:17 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If the caliper was binding to the point that you had to exert more pressure in order to stop, it would stay in a bind and drag. If you are stopped and rest your foot on the brake and it slowly sags down, it would be the master internal leakage(assuming no external leak). If it has a spongy pedal and requires more than normal pressure in order to stop, you have air in the lines and need to bleed the system. I have seen flexible lines break down and get balloony without leaking and give the spongy feeling also.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:18 PM
roadhog0120
1st Gear

There's little pressure anytime, the pedal just goes to the bottom with little resistance or stopping power.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:42 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by roadhog0120
There's little pressure anytime, the pedal just goes to the bottom with little resistance or stopping power.
If your positive any air in system has been bled out,it sounds as if your master cylinder needs replaced.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:06 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roadhog0120
Assuming it was working fine and you didn't do anything to the system, I will say you have internal bleed-by in the master. Replace it.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could rebuild it.
42382-87E
REPAIR KIT master cylinder | FB/FC/FF/FR/FS/FV/FY/KB
$62.12

Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 AM
roadhog0120
1st Gear

Originally Posted by GTK
If your positive any air in system has been bled out,it sounds as if your master cylinder needs replaced.
I bled the brakes after this started and it didn't help so it does look like the master. Thanks for all the input.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Woah there! Don't go spending any money just yet. You say your rear brake doesn't have much stopping power, do you mean the pedal is spongy, or firm? If spongy you probably have an air bubble, if firm you may have a caliper problem. That could be the pads are hanging up or one or more pistons are sticking. I suggest removing the caliper and cleaning it, checking that all pistons move and that the pads are free to move. I have one bike (different brand) that routinely clogs up with brake dust and binds the pads.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM
roadhog0120
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
Woah there! Don't go spending any money just yet. You say your rear brake doesn't have much stopping power, do you mean the pedal is spongy, or firm? If spongy you probably have an air bubble, if firm you may have a caliper problem. That could be the pads are hanging up or one or more pistons are sticking. I suggest removing the caliper and cleaning it, checking that all pistons move and that the pads are free to move. I have one bike (different brand) that routinely clogs up with brake dust and binds the pads.
The pedal goes easily to the bottom and minimal braking. I bled the brakes just in case there was a bubble and that didn't help.

Quick Reply: Rear Master Cylinder question.