Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:53 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Another newbie question tho:

Say later on you wished to remove the rocker shaft(s),, what would be the method for removing the inserts ?

Old 05-28-2016, 08:32 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Another newbie question tho:

Say later on you wished to remove the rocker shaft(s),, what would be the method for removing the inserts ?

Here you go... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post15187278

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:05 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
I just did my second install. Took all of 1 hr 15 min. ( that's with waxing rocker boxes) If your handy it can be done with 2 simple wrenches. The short ones here in the picture No chance of over torque with them. When both rockers are down I lined up the rocker shafts with a simple Allen wrench that is very close to the same size as the bolt . One bolt at a time. The incerts about fall in place. If they don't it's not lined up. Have to say it made a big difference on the older TC I did today
Originally Posted by Robtarra39
i see you left the tank on, did you put cam on base circle first ??, did the bike have lots of ticking, since you stated it made a big difference
I'm wondering about this too Bumpandrun ?

I'm thinking at this point I might try your 1 bolt at a time method using a dental mirror/pick, 5/16 drill bit shaft, keyboard air & Q-tips w acetone, whatever,, to clean the holes & line up the shaft. If the inserts then press into place "easily", I'm GTG, if not I can continue with the prescribed method. "Hmm, maybe I've just answered my own question" .

I'm no engine mechanic but have worked for decades offshore with HP brass fittings as well as reloading brass for firearms and have a pretty good sense of how things feel when going right vs when not,, plus,, there's a spare .

Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

For guys that are considering installing the Rockouts one at at time.... I strongly suggest you loosen all the bolts just enough to let the support plate move, but not lift up. The insert is a very close fit to the bolt when installed, if the support plate was installed too close to the bolts & tightened down the insert will have nowhere to go when drawing in. There is a "parting line"... a ring of aluminum the insert needs to get past that is right about where the shaft is. If the insert hits this rather than moving past it it likely will not go in.

And at that point it's not much more to take the assemblies out & do it on the bench

John @ Rockout

Old 05-29-2016, 12:17 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I did my installation on Friday, on the bench with all new bolts and breather kits. I thought my Ultra was pretty quiet to begin with, but the difference in the sound of the engine now is nothing short of amazing. I even thought that there was a bit of a placebo effect going on in most of the posts regarding the Rockouts, as I was quite skeptical that it could make that big of a change. I took the bike for a 3 hour ride today without earplugs. I have never done that with any Harley I have owned. That small but nasty little ticking took away the pleasure of riding. Not anymore! It's hard to believe that something this simple could make such an extraordinary change in the tone of the engine. I'm guessing that these posts have already made it to the desk of the engineers at Harley, and it wouldn't surprise me if the 2017's include this fix. Um, maybe not. Thanks!

DJK

Old 05-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
I did my installation on Friday, on the bench with all new bolts and breather kits. I thought my Ultra was pretty quiet to begin with, but the difference in the sound of the engine now is nothing short of amazing. I even thought that there was a bit of a placebo effect going on in most of the posts regarding the Rockouts, as I was quite skeptical that it could make that big of a change. I took the bike for a 3 hour ride today without earplugs. I have never done that with any Harley I have owned. That small but nasty little ticking took away the pleasure of riding. Not anymore! It's hard to believe that something this simple could make such an extraordinary change in the tone of the engine. I'm guessing that these posts have already made it to the desk of the engineers at Harley, and it wouldn't surprise me if the 2017's include this fix. Um, maybe not. Thanks!

DJK
After doing mine I swear it even shifts quieter... Okay, maybe not. Or does it?

Old 05-29-2016, 03:52 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by djkolp

DJK

I always like to let my product/users speak for themselves.... I couldn't have said it any better than that

Thanks for your support, and have a great weekend.

John @ Rockout

Old 05-29-2016, 03:53 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
After doing mine I swear it even shifts quieter... Okay, maybe not. Or does it?

Yes, that's part of the design

Thanks man,

John @ Rockout

Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 PM
CliffB
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another happy customer. I can't believe the difference it made!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by CliffB
Another happy customer. I can't believe the difference it made!
Thanks man, welcome to the tap free brotherhood

Thanks again to everyone for your continued awesome support

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...