Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Heavy
Over the weekend I installed the inserts, and am amazed by how much quieter the top end is. I though I would pass along an observation and a question.

Observation: While in the rocker box, I replaced the breathers with new ones. The new breathers are "thinner" (top to bottom) than the stock breathers on my 2010 with about 30k miles on it.

As part of the breather kit, new bolts are included. The new bolt are shorter than the originals, but even with the thinner new breather dimension, the breather bolts extend farther into the threads than the originals did. And I had a serious case of hydro-lock.

Thank goodness the hydro-lock issue has been posted here or I would have broken through the bolt holes for sure. An awful lot of oil blew out of the breather bolt holes, and once cleaned out, they fastened right down.

Question: The original rocker plate bolts clearly had no thread lock on them. The manual did not specify applying thread lock on the bolts during reassembly (and I didn't).

Normally, I'm a "locktite everything" guy, but between the manual and the clean original bolts, I did not this time.

Any thoughts on if threat lock really should be used there? Maybe I'll give them a check in a few hundred miles.

Thanks. -Pat

Thanks for reaffirming the importance of getting the oil out of the bolt holes. This has been in my instructions from the start, and is one of the reasons for doing the install on the bench.

As for the bolts.... I looked in my '15 touring service manual & they don't say. But then they also say to install the bolts with their flat washers and there are none. Whenever I do R&R on mine I use new bolts for 2 reasons.... they're only $1 each, and I want to see if there are any new wear patterns on the bolts. The new bolts from the dealer come with a dry thread sealer patch on each. So I guess if I was to choose I'd say a drop on each bolt would be a good thing.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
Slowpoke62 (11-08-2016)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM
10Heavy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace rocker plate bolts

Just replacing the bolts is probably the best approach.

I'll do that.

Thanks again. -Pat

Old 10-13-2015, 12:21 PM
10Heavy
1st Gear
Default threat lock

I locked the rocker cover bolts too. Manual was clear about that.

I had a dyno tune done a couple of weeks ago and I'm still chasing the "loose screws" and new leaks that resulted form that. Rear rocker cover was one of them.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:08 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,243 Likes on 809 Posts

A few q-tips also do a fine job of getting the oil out from the bottom of bolt holes.

If you're really cheap, you can keep using the same q-tip, and squeeze it dry(ish) with a paper towel.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:04 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
A few q-tips also do a fine job of getting the oil out from the bottom of bolt holes.

If you're really cheap, you can keep using the same q-tip, and squeeze it dry(ish) with a paper towel.
You are cheap!

Old 10-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Flhr Rider
Cruiser
Received 180 Likes on 85 Posts

Would like to know what gaskets and/or o rings are needed for the rock out install. Thanks

Old 10-14-2015, 02:01 PM
rubberguy
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Thanks for reaffirming the importance of getting the oil out of the bolt holes. This has been in my instructions from the start, and is one of the reasons for doing the install on the bench.

As for the bolts.... I looked in my '15 touring service manual & they don't say. But then they also say to install the bolts with their flat washers and there are none. Whenever I do R&R on mine I use new bolts for 2 reasons.... they're only $1 each, and I want to see if there are any new wear patterns on the bolts. The new bolts from the dealer come with a dry thread sealer patch on each. So I guess if I was to choose I'd say a drop on each bolt would be a good thing.
I work with hydraulic hoses, usually that "dry patch " is not thread sealant. But is an anti- galling compound. Steel into aluminum after all. A dab of lock tote wouldn't hurt.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:17 PM
10Heavy
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Flhr Rider
Would like to know what gaskets and/or o rings are needed for the rock out install. Thanks
All you need (in addition to the ROCKOUT kit), is a couple of rocker cover gaskets. The kit contains the two breather o-rings. While I was in the rocker box, I also replaced the breathers. The sponges had pretty much turned to mush.

You might be able to get away with reusing your rocker cover gaskets, but they are pretty cheap.

Last edited by 10Heavy; 10-14-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Flhr Rider
Cruiser
Received 180 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks 10Heavy, have the rock out kit, will get the gaskets and sponges. Cooling off here in the midwest, will have plenty of time to get it done.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought about replacing the sponges... but then said nah. how many miles on your whip 10Heavy?

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...