Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra cutting out...con't

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 AM
timshog
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Ultra cutting out...con't

The following was posted on Sept 21 and we received several suggestions we followed up on.

2008 Ultra engine cutting out
Posting for a friend who will be on here shortly. He has a 2008 Ultra that has been running great until a recent road trip. Otw home from Sturgis he started experienceing the engine cuting out when he would hit a bump or a dip in the road. If he has the cruise control on, it will cut out the cruise and almost act like there is no fuel getting to the engine. Then if he gets on the throttle it kicks back in and drives fine till he hits another bump or dip in the road. If cruise is not and he has the throttle open and hits a bump or dip it will backfire. Only when going over bumps or a dip AND only with a rear passenger. He came home from the trip and rode all over with out his wife on the back and the issue didnt appear. I told him not to ride with the wife anymore but thats not always an option. We checked the wireing harness from the ECM back and cant find any obviouse damage. Any thoughts guys?

Since that original post: All suggestions looked at.. I have no codes thrown..ALL wiring harnesess and exposed wires pulled, twisted and manipulated. After speaking with a bike tech, friend of a friend, the injector wires and wiring in the fairing checked as well...nothing. ECM, Power Commander, twisted and manipulated...still nothing. Removed rear tire and checked harness to rear lights..all good and no signs of damage or rubbing from rear tire. Sat on bike, running and had 2 buddies pull up and down of the rear saddlebag rails to replicate rough roads...nothing again. I am lost on all counts as well as my buddies and those we have seeked advise from. Again, the ONLY consistancy is having a rear passenger on the bike. This does not happen while riding solo.

Besides "ur srcrewed" LOL, does anyone have the magical remedy to this most bizarre situation ?

Please help before I find a tall building or shallow pond!! LOL

Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I suggest you read this full article and then... there is a tech bulletin released concerning the fretting at the TCA.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/manufac...e-control.htm/

Old 10-06-2015, 03:58 PM
timshog
Intermediate

Read both articles and both provided sound info. My only thought is would either respond in an adverse way due to extra weight on the bike or extra drag in general ?

Thoughts?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

You mentioned the power commander, but its not clear from the post - did you remove it and see if it still cuts out?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 PM
orthorep
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 ultra and have experienced the same thing. Where the swing arm,frame and wiring harness meet on the left side, small pin hole in the harness caused the same issue. It would get pinched on hard bumps. Isolate the wires there and insulate them from the swing arm.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 AM
timshog
Intermediate

Thanks guys....The next step was unconnecting the Power Commander ( wiring nightmare) but definitly checking the harness at the swing arm. A buddy of mine feels it has something to do with a"pivot point" due to the "bounce" issue. That may be the next point of inspection before the Commander. Thanks a lot.