Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 AM
scottbob99
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I agree the market is flooded with used touring bikes. I wanted a RK with under 10k miles and I had several to choose from. A month ago I ended up with an 06 RK with 5400 miles with a lot of nice extras for under $10k. Good luck with the sale it's a nice bike!!

Old 10-08-2015, 04:30 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I agree.

The used market is flooded with baggers. Also, some buyers shy away from bikes with mileage north of 20K. I never understood the thinking. I recently bought a '06 Ultra with 43K miles.

Market activity slows this time of year, especially in the snow belt states. I suggest lowering your price by $1500. Unless you're really motivated to sell, hold the price 'till spring.

To me that's sport bike thinking. I wouldn't buy a sport bike with 20k+ only because most likely it was a hard 20k and they are much harder to work on. I've never rebuilt a Harley but it looks like the engine comes out pretty easy and looks like it would easy to rebuild.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 PM
shineola
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Turn back to stock and reduce the price of the bike..... sell the goodies off of it to recoupe some of your money....that's what I would do. Stock air cleaner and pipes .....people will think it was pampered all of its life. As far as buying used bikes , I put the cash on the seat and let them tell me to go home if it's too low of a price, it tends to get the buyer to think real hard as I don't think people make cash offers everyday on bikes.....cash is KING

Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

You have to look at it like this, you're trying to sell a bike at the end of prime riding season. It's seven years old going on 8. Most banks won't loan on vehicles that old. In my area that bike has a KBB retail value of just north of $11k and a trade value of mid $8k. The aftermarket parts add no value to a bank. So, you need to find someone that wants your exact bike, that likes what you have done to it, has $14k cash to spend, willing to park it in the garage for winter, and is ok with the miles that are on it. I don't think the miles are high personally. However you can find a lot of garage queens that are priced according to their blue book value. KBB says that bike has a little over typical mileage for it's year. I bought my 11 Electra Glide Classic last year with 42k miles for $13,500. So that was a 3 yr old bike at the time. I felt I got a good deal on it. Whoever buys yours needs that same feeling, that their getting a good deal. You might also consider the fact your bike was the first year for the new chassis, and a lot of people stay away from the first year of a major change to a model. Just my opinions on the subject. I think the bike looks awesome. I hope you make a deal with someone that you can both be happy with.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As with anything we sell or buy, it's all about comparables. Looking at your bike as an individual, 35K miles isn't that much. But when compared to other bikes currently for sale in your area, 35K miles may seem high by comparison. Nobody looks at just one bike when looking to buy. We generally scan through many. From a buyer's standpoint, the value he places on your bike is directly related to the cost and mileage of other comparable offerings. Bikes are generally 2nd or 3rd vehicles and it's never too hard to find a low mileage for sale.

BTW, that's a really nice bike.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 AM
scoooter9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is looking for a cheap price or wanting you to give it away.
Hang on to it, eventually you will sell it or just keep riding it.