Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gloves or grips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I like the stock heaters on my new Limited, but I've been using a set of heaters called "Polly Heaters" on my 2010 Heritage with no problems in 5 years. The best part? They cost $35. (P/N: PH200) Go figure. Also you can use any Grip you want. These cartridge heaters sit inside the Handlebar. They have two settings: Low and High. Trust me . . . you'll never need the High setting. They were originally made for Snowmobiles. They also have a set now that wasn't available 5 years ago that their web site says is for motorcycles (P/N PH400) for $45. I'd probably go with them as, like I said, I've almost never used the High setting on mine. And yes I have and do ride in some seriously cold weather now and again. Not LA though.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Forget heated grips. Not even a fair comparison. Gerbing makes Harley's electric gloves. Just get a pair of Gerbings. You can plug directly into your bike's battery tender wire (if you don't have one, you should) or, better yet, spend the bucks and also get a heated jacket with a double heat controller. That way you can have heat to only the gloves or only the jacket or both. Believe me ........ you end up saying "Wow! How did I live without them!".

Old 10-08-2015, 06:30 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

I have both.

Heated grips for me, is only good until a certain temp.

Heated gloves for me, is good all winter long below freezing temps.

I also added some hand guards, that add to triple protection!

With all 3 and my heated liner, it's always summer on my bike!

YB

Attached Thumbnails Heated gloves or grips?-image.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest that both heated gloves and grips would be your best bet...............Having both, your covered for most any temp you wanna ride in.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

Warm-n-Safe (First Gear) makes a wireless controller for heated gear. Battery powered (CR123 i think) and can put it anywhere on bike or person. Only plug in you have to do is the main power connection to the bike. I have a dual controller and keep it in my windshield pouch. I actually have heated jacket, gloves, liner and socks. Dont always were all of them together, but they are available if it is cold enough. 1 controller channel is for the jacket and 1 is for the gloves/socks. Works great!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Wind is wind, and if it's traveling over your fingers, it's going to strip the heat away.

This sort of thing is ugly to look at, but they work *real* well at keeping the heat in, and thereby keeping your hands and fingers far warmer than you'd expect:

http://www.hippohands.com/Harley%20Hippo%20Hands.htm

Your right there not easy to look at, but I dislike cold hands more and not useto wearing thick gloves. Bet they work well with the heated grips and a thin glove. I seen these on a lot of mopeds in Korea, just looks like something you should not stick your hand in LOL!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Heated grips. They are always there. You have them with even when you think you wont need them.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:37 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicWNY
Question. 30 Years ago, While serving in the Army, stationed in Germany, My fingers were frostbitten. Fast forward to my new to me 08 Ultra classic I just can't seem to leave home. Driving to work every morning, if it's 55 or below, my 20 mile hike doing 70 turns my fingers numb and white with gloves on. I am thinking either the flame heated grips from HD, (staying with the flame theme)
@ 269.00 OUCH or maybe heated gloves? I see the gerbing's or joe rocket can be had for 140 or so. Any input as to which route to go, plus minuses to either? I see the Joe Rocket has a rechargeable battery operated glove. No wires !
I have heated grips and like them, I ride all winter long. Heated grips vs: heated gloves is with heated gloves when you stop and pee your dick will get warm too.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:53 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Heated liners for me. Gloves wear out, but the liners can go from glove to glove to glove. Plus, I can stick liners in super light weight gloves for fall, then heavier gloves for winter.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:57 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

I use heated gloves on my RKC, but have not needed them on my CVO (lowest has been 31), grips set at 2 with medium weight gloves worked just fine.

Quick Reply: Heated gloves or grips?