Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Multiple starts with no extensive drive time or tender charge is hard on the AGM battery. This type of duty will give a surface charge with no deep charge. There is a preface page in the owner's manual dealing with this information and HD's recommendations.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never thought much of battery tenders. I had my 06 RK from new and never replaced the battery until last year. . .right before I traded it (FML). And I really abused that battery. It sat sometimes for 8-9 months while on deployments and the a couple of years while I was away overseas. It should have tanked long before it did. The new bike has lots more trons flowing around and although I ride every day about 25 minutes each way I was beginning to think I could tell the battery was losing a step. Did a ton of research and landed on an Optimate Ampmatic TM-181. DEFINITELY a difference the next day. Initial starts are much stronger. I don't use it every day but if it sits longer than 24 hours it gets plugged in. This charger comes highly recommended. Its not the cheapest option, but I figured I dropped a bunch of dough on this bike, I could afford a C-note to keep it happy.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

It is still under warranty. Drop it on the dealer. The charging system, the battery having a problem, and the possibility of an unusual parasitic discharge are all possible. Telling you to put it on a maintainer DAILY puts a band aid on the symptom but doesn't cure the problem. That service guy needs his tail kicked.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:31 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I have a battery tender that I move around in the garage to different vehicles, including my riding mower, and leave it on each one sometime for days. It will definitely extend the service life of the batteries, and help provide a better, hotter start. I have a 25' Deltran Cord that eases the process.
You should NOT be required to connect the tender to your bike battery for your bike to crank after just a day or two. Something else is going on. Some people may use a tender to buy time on an old, weak battery, but in that case, they are just buying time.
I would pull the battery, put a good, full charge on it, then take it somewhere you trust and have a good load test put on it. If all is well there, I would top off the charge, reinstall, and find the parasite pulling down the battery.
The band aid approach would not get it with me. I want my bike to be full ready to start, just off the tender - or not.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 AM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I have a battery tender that I move around in the garage to different vehicles, including my riding mower, and leave it on each one sometime for days. It will definitely extend the service life of the batteries, and help provide a better, hotter start. I have a 25' Deltran Cord that eases the process.
You should NOT be required to connect the tender to your bike battery for your bike to crank after just a day or two. Something else is going on. Some people may use a tender to buy time on an old, weak battery, but in that case, they are just buying time.
I would pull the battery, put a good, full charge on it, then take it somewhere you trust and have a good load test put on it. If all is well there, I would top off the charge, reinstall, and find the parasite pulling down the battery.
The band aid approach would not get it with me. I want my bike to be full ready to start, just off the tender - or not.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a one year old battery in my EG. Recently I noticed when I hit the starter button, it hesitates then fires up. I was thinking my starter may be going bad because it did take some abuse for a few thousand miles from a banging Compensator that I had to replace.
Today I took it to the dealer and they said don't worry about it, it's normal.
I didn't know whether to feel relieved or laugh!

Old 10-10-2015, 05:02 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

I had that issue after a couple years with my glide.
I too thought that it was the battery and replaced it.
Found out it was the starter clutch.
It is the weak link in HD starters.
I will bet yours is too.
Replace it and see.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Get it load tested and take it one step at a time. One of the first signs of a failing battery is slow cranking, starter is the highest drawing circuit on a vehicle. It could be a crappy battery from day 1 and it is failing sooner than usual and/or not holding a charge. So after you get it charged 100%, take the surface charge off and load test it. If its good, start looking at your charging system.
Battery cable maintenance, climatic conditions will have an affect on a battery.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to replace the battery go with the Lightning Start. It's much stronger than the H-D and will start the motor much quicker. A weak battery doesn't start these FI bikes well.
Billy

Old 10-11-2015, 11:09 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems to me the only drain on the battery when turned off is the security system. So the bike should be able to sit for several weeks or longer before the battery is drained -- mine does since I have two bikes and one is my daily rider do to security reasons at work. My 14 has set for a quite awhile and still fires right up. as did my 09 CVO

Quick Reply: low battery?