Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery tender not hooked up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by J929626
If it is a blown fuse then it is the P&A fuse which would cause other things to not work.
Actually, the battery tender is a dedicated dual wire usually black cable. Both positive and negative are connected directly to the battery. There is an inline fuse on the positive side, closer to the battery end. Trace the cable to the battery and you'll find the fuse.

The battery tender fuse is on the dedicated battery tender cable. Nothing else is impacted by it. Nor do any other fuses control it.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Actually, the battery tender is a dedicated dual wire usually black cable. Both positive and negative are connected directly to the battery. There is an inline fuse on the positive side, closer to the battery end. Trace the cable to the battery and you'll find the fuse.

The battery tender fuse is on the dedicated battery tender cable. Nothing else is impacted by it. Nor do any other fuses control it.
14 and newer, tender plug, found behind left side cover, is incorporated into the bikes wire harness and not connected directly to battery. At least the 14s I've looked are that way.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If your're measuring for voltage at the end of the wire from the battery tender (not plugged in to the bike) then it will read 0 volts. It has to be hooked to the battery with a good inline fuse to charge.

My charge light blinks red when I unhook it from the bike-no voltage then.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:14 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
14 and newer, tender plug, found behind left side cover, is incorporated into the bikes wire harness and not connected directly to battery. At least the 14s I've looked are that way.
It is this way on my 15' SGS and the fuse is in the fuse box behind the left side cover

Old 10-09-2015, 01:35 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Wth? I put a volt meter on the tender lead and there's nothing. .....

Is that something I'm supposed to hook up? It came from the dealer and I assume factory with the lead installed under the left side cover.....
The obvious thing to do would be to hook it up to a battery tender. The red and green light will diagnose and tell you everything you need to know. If I didn't have a battery tender, I wouldn't be testing the plug because it's a moot point.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Well, I hooked it to the battery tender and the red light was flashing so, I called the tech at the dealership and we tried to diagnose it over the phone.

No blown fuses, everything else is working. And yes, this tender lead is incorporated into the harness on the bike.

I even pulled the screws holding the left side tray on to see if I could find something...... no dice.
I tucked it back under the cover and put the lead on the battery that came with the tender and I'm going to use it that way for now.

Sucks I can't get the factory one to work though.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Is it possible that the 2 wire lead you are checking is really a switched plug for heated gear and the factory tender plug is elsewhere? Maybe dangling by the left shock or strut

Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Is it possible that the 2 wire lead you are checking is really a switched plug for heated gear and the factory tender plug is elsewhere? Maybe dangling by the left shock or strut

Funny you ask that.....I have an accessory switch I can't for the life of me figure out. I have a couple of plugs that don't have anything plugged into them but, the switch has no effect.

I also tried the switch with the tender lead...........

OH SHEITE!!!!!!! It just dawned on me that I NEVER turned the IGNITION on when trying to figure out that switch..... heading to the garage now.....

Stay tuned......

Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 PM
hedgie57
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off the seat and see if it is hooked up

Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by J929626
If it is a blown fuse then it is the P&A fuse which would cause other things to not work.

Guess what? YOU win the prize! The P&A fuse WAS blown......... It was for the battery Tender AND the mystery switch on the dash!!!!!!

I found the "plug to nowhere", touched the leads from my MM to the terminals, and promptly BLEW another P&A fuse.......

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited

You sir, get the runner up prize for jarring my brain into trying another test....

Thanks All!

My EVOs sure were less complicated, but, nowhere near as fun as this Road King!

Quick Reply: battery tender not hooked up?