Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

se street cannons vs. rinehart

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default se street cannons vs. rinehart

Anybody switched from street cannons to 4 inch rinehart slip ons? I have had my street cannons on for about two years. Like the sound but I want a little louder note. Cat still in headpipe. When funds allow will change the headpipe. My question is will it be a noticeable difference in volume between the two pipes or about the same?

Old 10-10-2015, 10:45 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjo
Anybody switched from street cannons to 4 inch rinehart slip ons? I have had my street cannons on for about two years. Like the sound but I want a little louder note. Cat still in headpipe. When funds allow will change the headpipe. My question is will it be a noticeable difference in volume between the two pipes or about the same?
With the cat still in the head pipe, there probably won't be that much difference in sound between them.

I had the Rinehart 4" slipons on my Street Glide. They sounded OK, but not that loud.
When I replaced the factory head pipe with V&H Power Duals, the sound really changed. Much louder!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to pull the Reinharts off my my RK and sell them. Not nearly as loud as I had hoped.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Do the cat thing first, you might be happy.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I had Street Cannons on my 2014 Limited with the stock header, cat in place. They sounded good but I knew at some point I wanted to remove the cat to get rid of the extreme heat it puts off. I switched to an S&S Power Tune Duals header and kept the Cannons. The Cannons sounded awful with the cat-less header. I swapped them out for 4" Rineharts and I have never been happier. There are several on the forum with similar experiences and the same opinion of Cannons on a cat-less header. p51bombay is one of those members. Maybe he will chime in here with his experience. If not, you would do yourself well to private message him.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

In my opinion the 4" Rineharts are best all around for sound. Not too loud but you get noticed when you want. I have the 4" MGS Custom Bike slip on and can be pretty loud when hammering on it but good compromise around town. Maybe Rineharts, R.C. Components or V&H Hi Outputs in the future. Just not sure yet.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the SE street cannons on my 15 FLHR and was not impressed at all. They got very minimal use before I went to the RH slip ons. The sound to me, was an improvement. A couple weeks back, I added my tuner and the VH power duals and the sound to me, is much better. Good low note, not obnoxious when your headed down the highway at 65 or even 85.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Am looking for a pair of Rineharts. Please shoot me a PM if you decide to sell them.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Puddles
I had Street Cannons on my 2014 Limited with the stock header, cat in place. They sounded good but I knew at some point I wanted to remove the cat to get rid of the extreme heat it puts off. I switched to an S&S Power Tune Duals header and kept the Cannons. The Cannons sounded awful with the cat-less header. I swapped them out for 4" Rineharts and I have never been happier. There are several on the forum with similar experiences and the same opinion of Cannons on a cat-less header. p51bombay is one of those members. Maybe he will chime in here with his experience. If not, you would do yourself well to private message him.
I still have mine, didn't ride all last winter and most of the summer due to back issues so I never got around to addressing this. I have tried them both with and without the stock cat header pipe. With the cat, as you know - they sound really nice, but very quiet. Take the cat out and they will get about 3dB louder but as puddles and others said, the sound "quality" takes a dump in that they loose that deep tone and sound tinny. I put my cat header back on for this reason (had a spare modified and kept the stock one) but due to the heat issues the cat HAS to go.......there's around 300°F difference in gutting it. The spare pipe I gutted by cutting the window and having it welded seemed like a good idea but it apparently did "move" slightly due to the welding.......maybe they didn't do it slowly enough or whatever but the RH side where the slip on goes on did move inboard a little - just enough to make it a PITA to get proper axle clearance so moral of the story is make sure the pipe is clamped in place somehow or just buy one already done by a competent shop.

So with all said - the stock pipe is currently off to make some other changes and I will be drilling/scraping it out this time (got small USB borescope camera to check progress.......I pooh pooh'd this method for a long time until I saw someone's photos afterwards and it was as clean or cleaner than mine that I spent 2 hours grinding on so I'm gonna have a go at it.

As far as the SC sound goes - I've seen reports of two methods to cure this issue. It seems the problem lies with the long end caps - there was a user who gutted the pipe, found the sound sucked and to test his theory.......simply removed the end caps and the good sound returned so he welded on some 2" "extensions" to the mounting plate (where the tips attach to) which is very similar to what HD does with the stock CVO slip ons) Problem solved.

Another user experimented with taking the baffles out and wrapping the core and I think putting the stock wrap back on over top of that(the stock wrap fits loosely to the core - sort of like wearing a rubber so big it doesn't touch your ding-a-ling) - and again........problem solved.

Coincidentally, about this time.........HD releases these new "short" end caps which would likely take car of the problem also. Moral of the story, if you buy or bought SC's and take the cat out - don't give up right away - they are well made (by V&H's) good looking pipes with an emissions stamp if that's important to you.

Last edited by p51bombay; 10-11-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to back up what I said - right after I posted this I see a post on the Facebook HD Touring group with Street Cannons and a VH Dresser Duals so I go have a look thinking they will sound bad but NOOOOOOoooo, the don't sound bad. In fact they sould extremely good and when the camera gets moved........sure enough - he's go the short end caps on there and they sound every bit as good as a set of Monster Rounds.

Turn up the sound folks:

Quick Reply: se street cannons vs. rinehart