Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's tuned a carb around here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:53 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who's tuned a carb around here?

I'm getting ready to install S&S quiet tour slip-ons and a Fuel Moto stage one air cleaner on my carbureted '03 Road King. I'm figuring that the carb will need to be "tuned" in some way to compensate for the increased air flow in/out of the motor. I searched around and ordered the CV tuning kit from CV performance based on reviews I've read around the inter web.

Has anyone tuned/jetted their carbs before, with a similar setup as mine? I've never messed with carbs before. Or motorcycles in general for that matter. I'm a pretty decent shade tree mechanic, I just did the timing belt on my wife's van.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

most of the "carb kits" on the market are crap ( incl. dynojet, yost).

beware of anything that replaces the slide with plastic.

nightrider.com has a bike tech section and a piece on modding the CV carb, and a 2nd piece on evaluating the tuning of the CV carb

( the stock keihin CV carb is awesome and has also been used by KZ, triumph and honda- who own keihin)

the CV carb mods listed at nightrider are essentially the same mods we've been doing since the CV was introduced on big twins in 1990- with the addition of chamfering the leading edge of the slide- about $20 in parts from the dealer

at first go it is important to ensure that the float bowl diaphram is not leaking, nor the slide diaphragm...and check the float for proper float bowl level. all easy

swapping the needle for a slimmer taper N65 ( sporty needle) and changing the low speed and high speed jets.

baseline jets for an 88 might be 45 or 48 and 180/ 185.

once the bike is running reasonably well, then the jets may be altered to get best power and economy-

on my carbs the 4 x 4mm float bowl screws are replaced with allen heads so that I could swap jets roadside when tuning- using a mirror to see . that way the carb stays on the bike...of course you close the petcock first and open the float bowl drain

the Cv carb has the 4 circuits each of which affects the other above it:

idle circuit ( remove the aluminum plug- put LOCKTITE on the adjusting screw! whether stock or the EZ-just)

low speed jet

midrange is affected by the needle taper moving in and out of the high speed jet.

and the high speed jet which at full throttle may have the needle almost full out

add the accelerator pump which shoots in raw gas any time the throttle is opened quickly

tuning requires patience and paying attention to changes resulting from your actions- but once you have an idea what you are looking for you'll find it easier

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-24-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:50 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

The stock jets should be 45/190. I ended up with 46/195 before and after cams.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Take the cap for the idle mixture screw, gently seat it and come out 1 3/4- 2 1/2 turns. I'd start with 46 lo speed jet and the cv Kit needle ain't that bad. Stock 185 main or a 190 should do.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The kit came in the mail today. It came with 46 and 48 low jets, the new needle, 190 and 195 mains, a thumb screw to replace the mixture screw with and a different diaphragm spring. I'm gonna get out there in the next week or so and mess with it once it's back from getting the frame fixed.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I used to use a 1988 Sportster needle. That was the only year they didn't have an accelerator pump. A 48 slow jet and 195 main. Took the plug out of where the idle jet is and screwed the screw all the way in very gently and then backed out 1/2 + turns until the idle suited me. I also cut 1 coil off of the slide return spring.

This was with 80 inchers running stage 1 with an Andrews EV13 cam.

Bill

Old 10-25-2015, 07:46 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

The Joe Minton method which uses the sporster needle always worked well for me

Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
most of the "carb kits" on the market are crap ( incl. dynojet, yost).

beware of anything that replaces the slide with plastic.

nightrider.com has a bike tech section and a piece on modding the CV carb, and a 2nd piece on evaluating the tuning of the CV carb

( the stock keihin CV carb is awesome and has also been used by KZ, triumph and honda- who own keihin)

the CV carb mods listed at nightrider are essentially the same mods we've been doing since the CV was introduced on big twins in 1990- with the addition of chamfering the leading edge of the slide- about $20 in parts from the dealer

at first go it is important to ensure that the float bowl diaphram is not leaking, nor the slide diaphragm...and check the float for proper float bowl level. all easy

swapping the needle for a slimmer taper N65 ( sporty needle) and changing the low speed and high speed jets.

baseline jets for an 88 might be 45 or 48 and 180/ 185.

once the bike is running reasonably well, then the jets may be altered to get best power and economy-

on my carbs the 4 x 4mm float bowl screws are replaced with allen heads so that I could swap jets roadside when tuning- using a mirror to see . that way the carb stays on the bike...of course you close the petcock first and open the float bowl drain

the Cv carb has the 4 circuits each of which affects the other above it:

idle circuit ( remove the aluminum plug- put LOCKTITE on the adjusting screw! whether stock or the EZ-just)

low speed jet

midrange is affected by the needle taper moving in and out of the high speed jet.

and the high speed jet which at full throttle may have the needle almost full out

add the accelerator pump which shoots in raw gas any time the throttle is opened quickly

tuning requires patience and paying attention to changes resulting from your actions- but once you have an idea what you are looking for you'll find it easier

mike
mike - very well written summary on tuning/jetting. As an old guy who has done a lot of time consuming tuning/jetting of carbs; I'm kinda liking this fuel injection/fuel mapping stuff. Guess I'm just too old and don't have the time/patience anymore.

The following users liked this post:
Moe horowetz (05-02-2019)
Old 10-25-2015, 01:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,298 Likes on 2,353 Posts

+1 on Joe Minton's set up. It been on my 02 carb 95" with cams for a over 5 years and still going strong.

The following users liked this post:
Moe horowetz (05-02-2019)
Old 10-25-2015, 05:57 PM
oasis856
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Mistake

I worked on my sportster carbs last month and ran into a problem.
Neighbor solved the problem....
Ensure the bike is warm before making the adjustments. You will be upset when the job is complete.
Carbs are a breeze.

Last edited by oasis856; 10-25-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Who's tuned a carb around here?