Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary fill and Comp problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Primary fill and Comp problems

I was looking at several diagrams of the factory fill level on the primary of twin cams. The factory fill level seems to be at the bottom of the clutch plates in every diagram ive seen. if you follow a straight edge to the left towards the compensator, the oil level seems to be well below the bearing and everything that needs lubing. If you just pour in 38 ounces of primary oil like the service manual recommends, the the oil level is at the clutch spring and actually almost coming out of the derby cover hole and this is after a thorough drain. now if u run a straight edge over to the compensator, the comp. is much more submerged in an oil bath. Many folks dont have comp issues after 50. 60. 70 thousand miles or so. im wondering if there is a connection here. However. if you fill your primary this high, to the clutch spring, ive noticed louder clunking when shifting. Any thoughts on this?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There's an oil deflector in the case that is suposto help oil the comp and bearings. But if your a comp eater then your a comp eater, I think it's how you ride. If you decel and excell hard consistently the cam lobes rotate to there fullest in both directions. After a while the lobes and the lobes and where they contact the sprocket wears and allows even more movement in both directions and the wave springs can't compensate that mush movement? That's my theory how ever dumb it may sound to some.

The easer you ride and do not engine brake and geardown hard the longer the comp will stay health. Please jump on my comp eater theory like a pack of banshees!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:32 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

i originally thought this was the case too but ive heard many folks on here say that they babied there engines and still had comp problems. Harley must think its a lube issue since they added a roller bearing and deflector. would a deflector be nessecary if the primary case was filled with oil? just some thoughts. Asking this question because ive not had issues and im just waiting for the comp to go. 22k on bike. change all three holes every 3000 miles religiously and fill primary with 38 oz which puts oil level almost to derby cover lip. wonder how the 15, faired?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
There's an oil deflector in the case that is suposto help oil the comp and bearings. But if your a comp eater then your a comp eater, I think it's how you ride. If you decel and excell hard consistently the cam lobes rotate to there fullest in both directions. After a while the lobes and the lobes and where they contact the sprocket wears and allows even more movement in both directions and the wave springs can't compensate that mush movement? That's my theory how ever dumb it may sound to some.

The easer you ride and do not engine brake and geardown hard the longer the comp will stay health. Please jump on my comp eater theory like a pack of banshees!

You bring up good points!
Is that deflector on your primary cover?
That deflector is NOT on my stock primary cover. There are aftermarket deflectors to help bathe the comp in oil though.
The Rushmore (I think) has the SE comp, it should work good with Harley Formula+ oil filled up to the clutch plates,,,,,,,,,But, since the bike is probably not completely upright when filling, going past that point is probably ok and good for oiling the comp. This next oil change I'm going to make a point of using enough oil.
Riding habits might be a problem with the comp galling, I baby my bike but don't ride like a grandpa so I hope it holds up.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Well I read a little low is better than high, because of the oil between the clutch plates. Too much oil and it can't be squeezed out quickly enough and clutch slip is likely. I do not know this to be true, never filled it above the recommended level and tried it!

Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with the OP to an extent. Babying the bike tough has nothing to do with carrying 300lb bio material, 50lb on luggage and you do hill work, and "love" the twisties.

On my way to arcata and the redwoods I experienced some of CA, reduced radius sweepers with an odd canter and I see bikes getting on it A little till the next turn.

Anyways, oiling is an issue obviously Harley has made some changes in the cover, bearing washer, and additional glue in tray to modify the cover to "todays" standard.

I fill mine (or did when I could - primary remains off the bike until I can find my final drive gear sprocket lock or I buy a new one) to the clutch spill point (to each their own) but I did buy the Compensaver which deletes the HD roller bearing washer.

smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

This is it but hard to see with HYD clutch. Don't over think this. This is bike straight up no madder what year or model.
Put lot of miles on my HD's and know a lot of others that do also. I have never met 1 single owner that has had a compensator fail. Not one.

Attached Thumbnails Primary fill and Comp problems-primary-fluid-level_.png  

Last edited by smitty901; 10-25-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The '14 and up primary covers have the deflector cast into the webbing. That photo is a softail"B" cover, The touring "A" covers deflector is in a different spot on the bottom edge. The plastic glue in deflectors that have to be used with 09 up SE comps come with both in the kit. Took me all day trying to figger out where the other one went lol.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldMike
You bring up good points!
Is that deflector on your primary cover?
That deflector is NOT on my stock primary cover. There are aftermarket deflectors to help bathe the comp in oil though.
The Rushmore (I think) has the SE comp, it should work good with Harley Formula+ oil filled up to the clutch plates,,,,,,,,,But, since the bike is probably not completely upright when filling, going past that point is probably ok and good for oiling the comp. This next oil change I'm going to make a point of using enough oil.
Riding habits might be a problem with the comp galling, I baby my bike but don't ride like a grandpa so I hope it holds up.
The plastic oil deflectors have tobe glued into the the primary cover, special glue, not sure of all year models my 14 has it. There's some grinding involved to install it also. I'm sure it's a diy job with a little research on YouTube.

Last edited by Gwaxley; 10-25-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:15 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Here's a picture of my stock cover, looks like the casting has a deflector.
I have the narrow cover on my bike now.

Last edited by OldMike; 10-25-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Primary fill and Comp problems