Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 road king gas tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:25 PM
munsterlander
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2003 road king gas tank capacity

I have a 2003 Road King I picked up last November with the original tires on it. I am 70 and this is my first Harley. I get about 100 miles before I have to switch to reserve. My question is: If I start out with a full tank and leave it on reserve, will the reserve run down and allow me to switch back to full tank and have it act as a 3 gallon reserve?

I want to get the bike ready for winter and would like to run down the untreated seafoam reserve.

I know, I should have had a Harley a long time ago.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what you're trying to do with the fuel, but you definitely need to change the tires out!

Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 PM
munsterlander
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires have been changed. I want to have a full tank of gas with seafoam for winter. If the reserve tank is full and I put 6 oz of seafoam and fill the tank it will all go in the non reserve side. I would like to drain the reserve and still have enough gas in the tank to make it to a fill up. Does that make sense?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:51 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

The reserve and the tank are combined as one. The petcock valve controls the reserve fuel draw level. When switched to reserve and you run out, you are out.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Should be a 5 gallon tank, 4 regular 1 reserve, you should get around 150 miles before you hit reserve. If you only get 25 mpg I would say something is wrong.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
The reserve and the tank are combined as one. The petcock valve controls the reserve fuel draw level. When switched to reserve and you run out, you are out.
So, all you gotta do is: 1) add the 6 oz Seafoam to your tank, 2) fill er right up with ethanol free high octane gas, 3) fuggetaboudit !

In the spring, when conditions permit you to ride, start your bike and run it up to full operating temp before shutting it down again. Thats it.

Also, owing to the size of the tank and the internal baffling, fill ups were tricky for me at first. If you just put the nozzle in and fill till the pumps automatically stop, you're nowhere near full. Carefully top off and lightly wiggle your handlebars, to get the air up past the baffling. You can probably get an extra 1/2 gal in. You're getting better than 25 mpg on that bike !!

Last edited by HKMark23; 11-01-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:10 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

ALL 2003 Road Kings have a 5.0 gal fuel tank.

Since you have a petcock you obviously have a FLHR (carb model) which has 1.0 gal "reserve" capacity and adding any fuel or additive mixes with the entire capacity of the tank.

I also have a FLHRI model.

Be sure to have the cam chain adjusters checked at 20,000 miles (or so) and replace as necessary and you'll get many years of service out of that bike.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,535 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by munsterlander
I have a 2003 Road King I picked up last November with the original tires on it. I am 70 and this is my first Harley. I get about 100 miles before I have to switch to reserve. My question is: If I start out with a full tank and leave it on reserve, will the reserve run down and allow me to switch back to full tank and have it act as a 3 gallon reserve?
NO! There is a tube sticking up on your petcock to prevent accessing all the fuel when set on 'regular.' Opening to reserve accesses the rest (about 1 gallon.) Run it on reserve and when you run out, you're really out of gas - all of it. (Want to make certain that you understand that.)

And definitely get yourself some new rubber too. Enjoy!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:30 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 2003 road king gas tank capacity

As previously mentioned, it's one tank. There are 2 hoses off the bottom. One part way up (at about the 1 gallon point) and the other right at the bottom. Al he fuel switch does is select which tank port it draws from.

If you forget to switch back after you fill the bike you'll be walking when you think you've hit reserve. Don't ask me how I know

Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 PM
gomiller2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are you running your fuel so low you need to use the reserve does your fuel gauge work fill up before your gauge hits the red 1/4 mark and listen to what post#8 and post#9 tells ya have fun with your new bike.

Quick Reply: 2003 road king gas tank capacity