Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Tour Pack, Old Style or Rushmore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 AM
crnt918
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adding a Tour Pack, Old Style or Rushmore?

I'm adding a tour pack to my 2011 Electra Glide Police bike. Is there any consensus as to which style of tour pack is more comfortable for the passenger?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

If you have larger passengers the rushmore tourpak is the way to go.
Wider and further back.

The little chick I'm dating likes both styles though for the actual back rest portion. Both styles are comfy.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I suspect there are more of the older style available, if looking for secondhand, possibly also cheaper.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Get the Rushmore. Holds much more than the older ones.

I went with the newer style TP for my King. I have the chopped TP, and it holds more than the older king-size TP. The wife seems to like it better as well, as the back rest is angled back more. I think the older style is more up-right, but could be wrong.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:47 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

My wife had ridden many miles on both and has said nothing either way. I would go with the latest design. They are larger and look more refined. They seem to be a lower profile as well. May actually lower the center of gravity but I never actually measured the difference if any. Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

if u end up with older style i have a mustang backrest for it for sale(and I'm kinda local).my ol likes the newer style better says its even with the mustang for the older style. hates the oem old style.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Rushmore imo, looks better and more user friendly !!!!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Get the Rushmore. Holds much more than the older ones.

I went with the newer style TP for my King. I have the chopped TP, and it holds more than the older king-size TP. The wife seems to like it better as well, as the back rest is angled back more. I think the older style is more up-right, but could be wrong.
Harley advertises the new tour pak as 4% larger overall than the previous tour pak so I'm not buying the chopped version holding more them the full size. With a 4% difference I would go with which ever one the OP likes the looks of,,,

Carry (slightly) More
On the cargo-carrying front, there’s a new Tour-Pak for 2014, and although Harley say this hard trunk on the tail looks more compact than the previous case, it offers 4 percent more volume, which means it’s still able to hold two full-face helmets. New LED rear lighting takes up less space in the new Tour-Pak, which is equipped with a single one-touch latch, a self-centering catch and a retractable tether that makes it possible to open and close the lid with one hand. Revised hinges are said to eliminate exposed rivets, and a new support structure allows the Tour-Pak to be adjusted one inch fore or aft to help reposition the passenger backrest.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

If you still have the Police puck saddlebags lids remember that the TP will need to be raised in order for the bags to clear with the older style. Maybe the Rushmore version offers more clearance ???

Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I've read the same thing on the HD website, but has anyone actually verified this? Just because the new tour-pak is advertised as larger doesn't necessarily mean that you get more usable space. I was recently speaking with someone that upgraded to a new Rushmore from an older ElectraGlide and specifically asked him about the space in the tour-pak. He told me that he was surprised, in that he was able to fit more beer in the older model tour-pak!

Originally Posted by Duracell
Harley advertises the new tour-pak as 4% larger overall than the previous tour-pak

Quick Reply: Adding a Tour Pack, Old Style or Rushmore?