Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voltage regulator uncovered

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:45 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you draw the schematic by eyeballing the traces on the boards?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by dansflhti
Did you draw the schematic by eyeballing the traces on the boards?
No that's just a typical 3 phase rectifier, and Voltage limiters were often just a Zener diode with a reverse bias at the value you wanted to maintain. The drawings were from Wiki.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal

Ever wonder what's inside the Volage Regulator ?
To have a finer view of the components, could you scan both circuit boards including their rear side ? You can cut away the bulky connectors to lay the regulator circuit as flat as possible.
The 40Amp Maxi-Fuse protects the regulator from being fried by the battery in the case of a short circuit on it's output side. This could be interesting to understand what can be done if either the Maxi-Fuse or the regulator dies without using the cell phone

Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Must be some platinum and gold in there to justify the dealership price of those things.
just fyi...

if your voltage regulator fries, the stock vr is 74505-09A and retails for $221. you can buy the chrome replacement, 74622-09 which retails for $179. so buying the chrome one will save you almost $50.....

Old 11-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by Expat1
To have a finer view of the components, could you scan both circuit boards including their rear side ? You can cut away the bulky connectors to lay the regulator circuit as flat as possible.
The 40Amp Maxi-Fuse protects the regulator from being fried by the battery in the case of a short circuit on it's output side. This could be interesting to understand what can be done if either the Maxi-Fuse or the regulator dies without using the cell phone
Here you go:

Undeside of top

Top of bottom piece

Bottom

Old 11-26-2015, 04:37 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go:

Undeside of top

Top of bottom piece

Bottom
Vernal, thank you for sharing sharper pictures.

I spotted at least 20 surface mount transistors (Q1>>Q20) on the "Gecco" board held by pins (PIN1>>PIN11), so we can forget about repairing this thing
When you search the printed board reference RTF D-1 94V-0 you end up on a Chinese web page ...

I guess the best thing to do if this component fails is to disconnect it completely and run from the battery through the 40A Maxi-Fuse.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Ever wonder what's inside the Volage Regulator ?
=================================================

Thanks for posting that,it shows it was overheated melting electrical components in the process.

Thats why i never install a chrome cover for looks on the v-reg & keep it clean of dirt at all times to ensure it gets full airflow for max cooling at all times .

And thats not taking into account the front wheel & fender that are already blocking x-amount of airflow from getting to / cooling the volt reg so covering it with chrome cover for looks and or not keeping i clean of dirt can reduce cooling even more with is a RCP for the v-reg to overheat & fail prematurely.

scott

Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
just fyi...

if your voltage regulator fries, the stock vr is 74505-09A and retails for $221. you can buy the chrome replacement, 74622-09 which retails for $179. so buying the chrome one will save you almost $50.....
Originally Posted by wscott

Thanks for posting that,it shows it was overheated melting electrical components in the process.

Thats why i never install a chrome cover for looks on the v-reg & keep it clean of dirt at all times to ensure it gets full airflow for max cooling at all times .

And thats not taking into account the front wheel & fender that are already blocking x-amount of airflow from getting to / cooling the volt reg so covering it with chrome cover for looks and or not keeping i clean of dirt can reduce cooling even more with is a RCP for the v-reg to overheat & fail prematurely.

scott
Scott,

It's interesting you brought up the (over)heating of the VR. I went to a dealership to purchase a chrome VR. The parts guy told me that several customers have mentioned that their chrome VRs were overheating and failing. I asked him if he was aware of similar problems with the chrome covers and he said no.

I took his advice and bought a chrome VR cover. I have had it for a couple of years now without a problem.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by wscott

scott
Actually this was a working Voltage Regulator. The bike it came off of had been in a wreck and the backing material where the plugs came out cracked a bit. What looks like burnt material is just some of the rubber backing material that sticks to everything. There is no "burnt" odor indicating anything was ever hot. I used pics and small screwdrivers to get it that clean but some of that material just would not let go.