Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Ultra Classic LTD brake pad material

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 10 Ultra Classic LTD brake pad material

I have 26k miles on my FLHTK and haven't checked yet but going to do some winter maintenance. Just replaced the fuel filter and now thinking of brakes, if needed. What material? Sintered HH or Kevlar for use on OEM rotors?

Not sure what OEM is and I don't want to stray from OEM just looking at other options.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:22 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brakes

I just did my fronts at 28000 mi. I found the OEM stuff expensive here in Canada, but the horrible exchange and the distributor's greed makes it that way. I could have ordered from the 'States but it would have cost about the same and had to wait a week. You're smart doing it proactively.
I figure at that mileage I got a good run for the pads even though I do a lot of highway riding. So for me the OEMs were a good choice. Next time though, at 50000 mi, I'll order a set from a US source.
As far as material selection, everyone has their preferences. There are many threads here, although the way the algorithms are set up makes "search" a frustration. Easier to use Google and check the threads results.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:19 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree about the search process. I tried this morning to find one of the many threads on what Batteries everyone finds good replacements and typed in every way I could to get that search and it kept coming up with all kinds of crap that didn't have anything to do with batteries. Time for the gurus to rework the search engine here.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

A good search reference is to Google hdforums brake pads. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w.hdforums.com As far as pad choices, I find that OEM pads work as well as any others I've tried, but they cost more and are a bit dustier than my current Lyndall pads.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:26 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Sintered may have been the choice for some when the brakes weren't as strong as they are now with the Brembos, so Kevlar is where I go now in order to save the rotors and still stop the bike. Aftermarket for me, about $20 for a set.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Thanks guys. Found these on eBay for $20 and free shipping;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fr-R-Kevlar-...pRW6at&vxp=mtr

Now if I check and do need them I'll do a little more research. Never heard of this manufacturer, Foreverun Motor. Last thing I need is the brake pad unglued from the mount.

Last edited by jdvorchak; 11-26-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
Thanks guys. Found these on eBay for $20 and free shipping;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fr-R-Kevlar-...pRW6at&vxp=mtr

Now if I check and do need them I'll do a little more research. Never heard of this manufacturer, Foreverun Motor. Last thing I need is the brake pad unglued from the mount.
Here's the company that manufactures those for future reference:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...08194040,d.eWE

Old 11-26-2015, 07:22 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

hh rated sintered ebc perform just like oem for $31 set, I have used many sets with great success. Tried some other compounds but did not like the feel or stopping distance. Mike

Old 12-01-2015, 01:47 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

I took the rear caliper off today and found that the rear pads are worn out or very close. Same with the front. Ordered a full set of HH Sintered brake pads from D2Moto, which I have dealt with in the past and was very satisfied. So I'll get new brakes on her as soon as they arrive.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 PM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Aftermarket for me.
Will have to keep D2Moto in mind for the next change.
Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: 10 Ultra Classic LTD brake pad material