Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King specific forums?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Road King specific forums?

I'm contemplating moving to a Road King from my Street Bob and was wondering if there was a Road King specific forum or resource page anywhere? Something like roadglide.org or streetglide.com. Just searching through posts on the touring part of the forum I get the impression that Road King owners are pretty loyal to that particular bike and it just seems like there should be a specific website dedicated to them.

The reason I'm asking is it's a bunch easier to sift through all the options and see what Road King owners are doing to their bikes, where they're riding etc.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:22 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Only thing I found was this one but it doesn't look like it gets a lot of traffic.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/Live2Ride

I get the most info from the touring section here. Especially since the mechanical parts are the same or similar.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:35 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I haven't found a forum specific to the king. You are right though. King owners are loyal. We don't care about stereos or being flashy. I just hang around as most topics are cross platform.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I'm contemplating moving to a Road King from my Street Bob and was wondering if there was a Road King specific forum or resource page anywhere? Something like roadglide.org or streetglide.com. Just searching through posts on the touring part of the forum I get the impression that Road King owners are pretty loyal to that particular bike and it just seems like there should be a specific website dedicated to them.
What drew me to the bike is that it is my opinion that it best represents the old FLH from back in the day. Not to take anything away from the other bikes, but it seems to me that there is a segment that just wants the basic motorcycle with bags- and much plastic.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm with time machine, the RK does represent the old FLH, I owned a 1972 back in the day. The only other forum that i visit is v-twin but I consider this forum the better resource for my needs.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I'd say you are painting yourself into a corner...the RK differs by 5% dna ( or weight) from any of the other touring series bikes.

you can avoid the discussions about speakers, but the performance, suspension and electrical concerns will be common across most of the touring line.

same as with your street bob the bike is a variant of the Dyna series they are all pretty much the same with slight variations

the touring models forum give a wider knowledge base for 95% of your questions (#1 RK Owner question: "what fairing should I buy" )

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-26-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
(#1 RK Owner question: "what fairing should I buy" )
I doubt that. Most of us dispise the fairing. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:47 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny you should mention the old FLH. The Road king was born from FLH as the FLHS Electra-Glide Sport .

http://www.moccsplace.com/lcriders/r...forum/what.htm

http://philosfx.blogspot.com/2011/09...-davidson.html

Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by grapeapes
... The Road king was born from FLH as the FLHS Electra-Glide Sport...
The history in the link is close but a couple of missteps.

With the rubbermount swingarm frame ( with extended neck and reverse triple tree) taking over the touring line, those who wanted a "FLH" style bike had to make do.

the 84/85 FXWG was a contender ( kicker 4 speed) as was the FXR with a front end swap.

many riders were using the FLHS...the instrument nacelle was pretty ugly and with some rewiring and a swap of the dash to a speedo type, a nacelle could be used up front.
( the FLHS used the touring frame, never the FXR frame)

HD essentially copied what owners had been doing to come up with the RK.

similar to how the superglide and the streetglide were based on common owner mods to existing models.

The last version of the solid mount shovel FLHS are pretty cool- a stripped bagger- again, taken from common owner mods.

mike

Old 11-29-2015, 06:38 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Talk about dedication to a RK, I am on my third and last one. If there is such a thing called "Harley Nirvana", it's the RK for me. I am into minimalism when it comes to a RK.

My wife of 42 years asked one day, "How many Harley's have you owned? I couldn't come up with an answer without taking an afternoon to figure it out. Yea, that many. Keep the ride going guys!

Quick Reply: Road King specific forums?