Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1157 red rear stop, Tail & Turn bulbs that don't look pink.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default 1157 red rear stop, Tail & Turn bulbs that don't look pink.

i just bought smoked lenses for my ride, the front looks great with the amber bulbs, but the red bulbs for the rear look pink.

Not sure if the kit just came with cheapo bulbs, or if the all wash out to pink. So my questions is, if I get a set at autozone, will they be better, or is there some special bulb I need to look for, or should I just put my red lenses back on with clear bulbs, and be done with it?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Mobeus102
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bulbs

it depends on your rear brakelight setup but (custom dynamics) may have an led setup for your model that will have no pink in the way it looks.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:39 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mobeus102
it depends on your rear brakelight setup but (custom dynamics) may have an led setup for your model that will have no pink in the way it looks.
I have just the regular road glide/street glide stock taillights. Not looking to spend a bunch of money, just wanted to change the red lenses to smoked ones.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:00 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Thanks, not looking at spending 90 bucks to get my $10 lenses to work, so I switched them back to the red ones.

I did like the look with the lights off, but the pink was a no go for me.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:42 AM
_Daswine_
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kuryaken makes the bulb dipped in iridium and glows red.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had red bulbs in my smoked lens before I went Custom Dynamics. The bulbs came from Drag Specialties and I didn't notice any pink. I'll get the part # for you.
Found the part #. As I said, I'm not sure these are any different but they are dark and I didn't notice any pink.

I will add that my riding buddies noticed that my brake/turn signals were very hard to pick up in daylight when following me. Since I didn't want to get rear-ended by them or a car I went with Custom Dynamics LED's. They see me now! I like to save money too but I like living better...lol

Attached Thumbnails 1157 red rear stop, Tail & Turn bulbs that don't look pink.-20151129_083649.jpg  

Last edited by Dguy; 11-29-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:55 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I went threw this same ridiculous problem. Like the OP, I was just about ready to put the stock lenses back in and call it a day. The bulbs were either pink, or the red coating started flaking off almost before I could get them in the housing. I ordered three different sets of bulbs off ebay and Amazon till I finally spent the extra two bucks and bought the Kuryakyn bulbs. They were the ONLY red incandescent bulbs that were actually "RED". So I immediately re-ordered a set of 4 more so I always have spares. Other than the Kuryakyn's, switching to LED's is probably the only option that would make me happy. But they aren't cheap, and many LED options require a load equalizer.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been through this also. You can try and find the red glass bulb which is what I used. I've ran the Radiantz smoked lay down led for a couple years and it works well. Bit the bullet and ordered the retro led turns the other day. Led is the way to go.http://www.radiantz.com/category-s/120.htm

Old 11-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
....Other than the Kuryakyn's, switching to LED's is probably the only option that would make me happy. But they aren't cheap, and many LED options require a load equalizer.
I don't know how these would work with a smoked lens, but I use Pilot brand LEDs and am very pleased with them. About $25.00 for a pair. The picture is my bike with a Pilot LED in the tail light with the stock red lens. Just as bright as all the stock HD LEDs.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2687&ppt=C0326

I have experimented with Sylvania/Osram LEDs and had poor results. Stick with Pilots.

FWIW. YMMV.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:13 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

Go to autozone and get the 1157 red led from sylvania and get the matching front set 1157 in white. About 22 bucks each set

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1157 red rear stop, Tail & Turn bulbs that don't look pink.