Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Year around riding......

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I really don't have much to add beyond what has been mentioned about Austin, Texas.

I lived in the Houston area for several years before moving to rural central Texas. Austin is my favorite city with San Antonio a very close second. The reality is, no matter which city you move to, you'll actually live 20-30 miles outside of the city. All the major cities are very populated and the traffic is evidence of it. As a consequence, everyone is moving to the burbs outside the city limits so the surrounding metropolitan areas are getting crowded as well.

Whether it is Katy to the west of Houston or Sugarland to the southwest, they are rapidly growing in size. The same is true for Round Rock or Georgetown outside of Austin. The suburbs of Austin is great for young couples and families. Lots to do. Austin is very health conscious with great food and activity, especially music. Riding is only good 12 months of the year. The other months you'll have to park it.

The caveat is you have to like heat.

The best advice I can give you is this: DON'T eat at Papa Murphy's pizza in Georgetown, Texas. You may not like the topping.
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/c...als-on-/nhNKT/

Have a safe trip and enjoy Cali.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

We sold everything and traveled full time in our 5th wheel before deciding on where to land. After hearing about different parts of TN, GA, and a few other states where riders "claim" to ride 12 months a year we decided against those. Nice roads but I'm just not a fan of riding in 35-40 degree temps.

California would have to spend billions on their roads over the next 50 years before I would consider them.

Florida won out over all the states we spend time in. If you want 70 and 80 degrees during much of the winter stay south of Sarasota on the gulf side. If you want slightly cooler summer temps then move north of Ocala or up in the northern part of the state. Cost of living for us has been about the same except property taxes are about 1/5 of what Illinois was.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe you'll have to go a little further south than Charlotte if you plan to ride year round.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
I believe you'll have to go a little further south than Charlotte if you plan to ride year round.
You know, now that you mentioned that, I have to agree. I went on a golf trip in mid-October, and even that early in the fall it was still downright nippy in the morning.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Dozer40
Supporter
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

I've lived In California my entire life. I've rode all through her east, west north and south. It just so happens, I had a discussion with the other half just tonight on this topic. We're moving to Arizona as soon as we can retire. We do okay right now with both working and the kids grown, but on a fixed income... goodbye golden state.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
My guess is we will be farther up the coast and not in SoCal due to a little better likely hood for jobs for my gf. I can likely deal with whatever, so long as I don't have to make it thru another MN winter. Where did you live in MN? Born and raised there?
I lived in Mpls. Apartments near Loring Park, and eventually edge of Kenwood neighborhood. Worked for KSTP for a long time. Grew up in NY, but high school friends settled in the Twin Cities and I came out to visit in '89. Wound up liking it and stayng...Moved to Los Angeles to marry my wife. Year round riding has been a bonus. Now we both ride so it's just gets better and better.

I'm sure there would plenty of work for your GF in SoCal too...like I said, lots of professionals with families that need services. Their kids are very important to them and school districts reign supreme. Kids of all needs levels. Economy is pretty strong here. Whole state is pretty amazing though so I'm sure you'll find plenty of options.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

hey! ditch the gf and go where the heck you want.....................hehe just kidding.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:06 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by t. sawyer
hey! ditch the gf and go where the heck you want.....................hehe just kidding.
She's my hot sugar mama though! Seriously, this girl is totally worth it. She's 41 and looks 30. I'm 35 myself. Neither of us ever married or kids, so I think we know what we are looking for. My only complain....she'll never learn to ride her own bike. I can live with it....she loves sitting on the back.

And for everyone else....I don't necessarily need 12 months of riding, but at least 9-10. In MN, realistically, we can ride April-Oct.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
She's my hot sugar mama though! Seriously, this girl is totally worth it. She's 41 and looks 30. I'm 35 myself. Neither of us ever married or kids, so I think we know what we are looking for. My only complain....she'll never learn to ride her own bike. I can live with it....she loves sitting on the back.

And for everyone else....I don't necessarily need 12 months of riding, but at least 9-10. In MN, realistically, we can ride April-Oct.
Ryan: You can ride here year round as long as it's not raining. And some do that, though I am not among them.

As others have said; it's expensive here. Be prepared for sticker shock when you look for housing coming from MN. That being said, the beauty is endless, and you can ride somewhere different virtually every weekend, and never grow tired of the riding. Anywhere within spitting distance of the coast from San Fran on down to Santa Barbara will leave you constantly amazed at the beauty and good riding.

Good luck in your decision making.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,553 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
You may not ride everyday in January (with an average high of 51 degrees,) but there are always nice sunny days pretty much 12 months out of the year.

Quick Reply: Year around riding......