Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Year around riding......

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw a guy riding yesterday and it was 38 degrees and raining! Just a leather jacket and no helmet! I guess it all depends on how tough you are. If the sun is shining and its not too windy, Im good down to 50 degrees but thats about it

Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stockton is a great place for all year ridding. The Sierra's are a short ride away with great ridding through the mountain passes. The traffic is bearable. About the same as Minneapolis. The beaches are also in easy reach. Modesto HD has one of the best HOG groups around. For motorcycle ridding, you will not be dissapoibnted.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Ryan: You can ride here year round as long as it's not raining. And some do that, though I am not among them.

As others have said; it's expensive here. Be prepared for sticker shock when you look for housing coming from MN. That being said, the beauty is endless, and you can ride somewhere different virtually every weekend, and never grow tired of the riding. Anywhere within spitting distance of the coast from San Fran on down to Santa Barbara will leave you constantly amazed at the beauty and good riding.

Good luck in your decision making.
Thanks for the heads up, but we are not *too* worried about sticker shock. We live near downtown in Minneapolis and although one might not think that's expensive, it's comparable to some places we have checked out, albeit briefly. Minneapolis is one of the higher rental markets in the US, save for your SF, NYC, etc. It's the other little things that I think will add up, like higher taxes (although MN is quite high there as well), gas, food, etc. Obviously we won't be getting a place in DT SF or on the beach in Santa Barbara, but hopefully something decent. We won't move unless it makes sense. If not CA, places like Austin, Charlotte, and Phoenix are on the table too.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

San Jose is a place where both the incomes and housing prices are sky high. Lots of good riding areas, but anything near the San Francisco multiplex is plagued with bumper to bumper traffic.

San Diego is a mecca for motorcycle riding. Fantastic combination of the worlds best climate and no bugs. For many, the no bugs thing is even more appreciated than the mild weather.

Little rain (except maybe this year when El Nino is expected to bring more than usual). The back country roads are fantastic. Depending on your mood, a day trip can take you into mile high mountains, wide open deserts, beautiful beaches or just cruise over to any of the 6 local Harley dealerships.

Emissions not an issue for bikes, as there are no testings. California Harleys are the same as everyplace else, except for a small carbon canister that traps evaporating fuel for reburning.

Housing prices are higher than other states, but in line with other big cities. San Francisco can be twice as expensive, but there are nice houses in most price ranges. If you want the best areas, you are going to pay through the nose, but everybody gets the same riding climate no matter what your rent.

Couple buddies and I will be going for a ride tomorrow. Will be in the 70's and sunny in Temecula. This is a winery area, North of San Diego, with great restaurants and beautiful surrounding. Will be thinking of you guys

Certaintly worth checking out.

Last edited by Uncle Paul; 11-30-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
San Jose is a place where both the incomes and housing prices are sky high. Lots of good riding areas, but anything near the San Francisco multiplex is plagued with bumper to bumper traffic.

San Diego is a mecca for motorcycle riding. Fantastic combination of the worlds best climate and no bugs. For many, the no bugs thing is even more appreciated than the mild weather.

Little rain (except maybe this year when El Nino is expected to bring more than usual). The back country roads are fantastic. Depending on your mood, a day trip can take you into mile high mountains, wide open deserts, beautiful beaches or just cruise over to any of the 6 local Harley dealerships.

Emissions not an issue for bikes, as there are no testings. California Harleys are the same as everyplace else, except for a small carbon canister that traps evaporating fuel for reburning.

Housing prices are higher than other states, but in line with other big cities. San Francisco can be twice as expensive, but there are nice houses in most price ranges. If you want the best areas, you are going to pay through the nose, but everybody gets the same riding climate no matter what your rent.

Couple buddies and I will be going for a ride tomorrow. Will be in the 70's and sunny in Temecula. This is a winery area, North of San Diego, with great restaurants and beautiful surrounding. Will be thinking of you guys

Certaintly worth checking out.
My gf is going to focus her search on NorCal due to the better job market for school psychs and Spec Ed administrators. That being said, we both know if something comes up near SD or it's feasible, we are likely there.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:44 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
I definitely would like to be in an area such as Chico (other than being farther from the coast and "things going on"). I'm not so sure the gf would be in for it though. She's more of a city person. I don't mind the city, but don't want to spend two hours of driving/traffic to escape the urban/suburban sprawl. One reason I like Minneapolis is that in 30 minutes, you've escaped the metro and can just ride.

I'm a little familiar with California, with a couple longer MC trips there, but not enough to "know" anything other than I love the scenery.
The best areas I know of, that would provide what I'd consider the best balance between access to the city while having a minimum of density would be Ventura County in SoCal (with the exception of Oxnard). I think the city of Ventura is probably the last affordable coastal city of significant size left in California. I lived in Thousand Oaks for about 12 years and really liked that, but it may be out of the Minesota type price range. The city and area around Santa Rosa in NorCal would be worth a look. Check with Trullia, RedFin or other Real Estate websites and then use Google Maps to see what the area looks like and also to see how traffic works during commute hours.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:43 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

In Texas, I've lived in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. Any of those 3 cities could provide year round riding.

But IMO, Austin / San Antonio area is going to have better riding - more hills and good riding roads. Being close to Houston- I have to get really far away from the city for decent riding. But I'm in the medical field, and Houston is a great place for that industry.

Best of luck!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 AM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing for sure stay away from Northern Illinois, but I bet you knew that already.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DLW_FLHTC
One thing for sure stay away from Northern Illinois, but I bet you knew that already.
Haha.....yes, I was aware to keep that area of the list!

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The best areas I know of, that would provide what I'd consider the best balance between access to the city while having a minimum of density would be Ventura County in SoCal (with the exception of Oxnard). I think the city of Ventura is probably the last affordable coastal city of significant size left in California. I lived in Thousand Oaks for about 12 years and really liked that, but it may be out of the Minesota type price range. The city and area around Santa Rosa in NorCal would be worth a look. Check with Trullia, RedFin or other Real Estate websites and then use Google Maps to see what the area looks like and also to see how traffic works during commute hours.
What is the exception with Oxnard, OP?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Dezz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can handle a chit load of people, a chit load of political bullchit, and have the means to make a good living then come to Cali. If not, I'd stay out lol

Quick Reply: Year around riding......