Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Year around riding......

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Year around riding......

Realize there are probably better areas of the forum for this post, but here it goes:

Girlfriend and I are considering a major move. We both live in MN and dislike winter. She is a Special Ed administrator and previous to that, 13 years as a school psych. So her finding work should be somewhat easy. She's also lived out of MN previous. This would be my first move.....

Anyway, she lived in Stockton, CA for 3 years around 2000 while pursuing a Master's. We would both like to ideally go to CA, but also realize considerable expense.

Looking at areas around San Jose. Anyone who lives in and around this area want to chime in on how year around riding is here?

How about other places in the US? We both have been to Charlotte and like it. I like Austin, TX and Phoenix. Any other areas that are reasonable for good riding 10-12 months of the year? The South is mostly out for us, other than probably NC.

Chime in and keep it civil please!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Personally, I'd stay away from CA - very expensive and weird emissions laws. CA folks I'm sure would rightfully claim some amazing riding tho.

My personal goal is eastern Tennessee, Specifically the Knoxville area. There are some times when the weather prohibits riding, but If I can ride at least 1X/month in Michigan, I can get a hell of a lot more riding in in TN. Great Smoky mountains and the surrounding areas are huge and amazing.

Add in no state taxes and affordable housing and cost of living and I think you have a winner.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:18 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Personally, I'd stay away from CA - very expensive and weird emissions laws. CA folks I'm sure would rightfully claim some amazing riding tho.

My personal goal is eastern Tennessee, Specifically the Knoxville area. There are some times when the weather prohibits riding, but If I can ride at least 1X/month in Michigan, I can get a hell of a lot more riding in in TN. Great Smoky mountains and the surrounding areas are huge and amazing.

Add in no state taxes and affordable housing and cost of living and I think you have a winner.
I hear ya on Knoxville. If it were up to me, it would be on the shorter list, but the gf is not a big fan of the south. I have lots of friends in Nashville and like the weather, etc. I know CA is very expensive, but damn I love riding there.... I realize living vs visiting is nothing alike. Money, life and reality come into play big time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,778 Likes on 18,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu

Pretty much sums it up for me ... although I'd add northwest North Carolina to the choices too

Old 11-27-2015, 10:31 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Realize there are probably better areas of the forum for this post, but here it goes:

Girlfriend and I are considering a major move. We both live in MN and dislike winter. She is a Special Ed administrator and previous to that, 13 years as a school psych. So her finding work should be somewhat easy. She's also lived out of MN previous. This would be my first move.....

Anyway, she lived in Stockton, CA for 3 years around 2000 while pursuing a Master's. We would both like to ideally go to CA, but also realize considerable expense.

Looking at areas around San Jose. Anyone who lives in and around this area want to chime in on how year around riding is here?

How about other places in the US? We both have been to Charlotte and like it. I like Austin, TX and Phoenix. Any other areas that are reasonable for good riding 10-12 months of the year? The South is mostly out for us, other than probably NC.

Chime in and keep it civil please!
I've personally been to every one of those towns.

I grew up in central California, and when I was working there our regional office was in San Jose. Stockton was one of the worst hit cities in the US during the '07-09 depression. Thousands of homes in foreclosure. The town is, unless you're fairly wealthy, a giant slum. San Jose is, along with most of the southern Bay Area, one of the most expensive places in the US. A quarter million will buy you a fixer-upper in a bad neighborhood. And you better check out the neighborhoods and the schools in either Stockton or San Jose, especially if you have or might have kids.

Does year round riding include summer? If you leave your bike outside in full sun and 120 degree temps in Phoenix, you better put it under a cover and bring thick gloves. Or asbestos underwear. If your gf spent a few years in Stockton, at least she's used to 100-105. But, trust me, 115-120 is a whole 'nother thang.

Of the cities you listed, I like Charlotte and Austin the best. Like music? Austin. Charlotte will probably be significantly cheaper, Austin will have significantly more things to do. Well, depending on what you like to do. Both cities are roughly the same population, so restaurants, culture, arts, etc., should be comparable. I actually prefer Charleston to Charlotte because I love the ocean and seafood, but Charleston is a much smaller town. 130k, vs 800k. People who live in Austin call it "the little blue dot in the middle of Texas". You've been warned.

Can't go wrong with either one. Personally, it would be Austin. My two cents, obviously.

Good luck on your adventure!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:32 PM
CharlieMac
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Murphy NC which is the most Western town in North Carolina bordering both GA and TN, and I ride year round. I have made about 8 trips out west riding each time about a week, and I have enjoyed the riding in the west. However, the riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains is fine with me. Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina both have a lot to offer for riding experiences. Knoxville, Chattanooga and Asheville are nice urban areas with easy access to great riding in the mountains. Good luck on your choice.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:33 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Best year round weather is either san diego or the low lands of south Carolina(Hilton head...) imo. plus SC extremely low property tax and still not to far from civilization

Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I've personally been to every one of those towns.

I grew up in central California, and when I was working there our regional office was in San Jose. Stockton was one of the worst hit cities in the US during the '07-09 depression. Thousands of homes in foreclosure. The town is, unless you're fairly wealthy, a giant slum. San Jose is, along with most of the southern Bay Area, one of the most expensive places in the US. A quarter million will buy you a fixer-upper in a bad neighborhood. And you better check out the neighborhoods and the schools in either Stockton or San Jose, especially if you have or might have kids.

Does year round riding include summer? If you leave your bike outside in full sun and 120 degree temps in Phoenix, you better put it under a cover and bring thick gloves. Or asbestos underwear. If your gf spent a few years in Stockton, at least she's used to 100-105. But, trust me, 115-120 is a whole 'nother thang.

Of the cities you listed, I like Charlotte and Austin the best. Like music? Austin. Charlotte will probably be significantly cheaper, Austin will have significantly more things to do. Well, depending on what you like to do. Both cities are roughly the same population, so restaurants, culture, arts, etc., should be comparable. I actually prefer Charleston to Charlotte because I love the ocean and seafood, but Charleston is a much smaller town. 130k, vs 800k. People who live in Austin call it "the little blue dot in the middle of Texas". You've been warned.

Can't go wrong with either one. Personally, it would be Austin. My two cents, obviously.

Good luck on your adventure!
Thanks for the reply. I have spent a decent amount of time in Austin, TX. I don't mind the high heat, but months on end might get oppressive. I have family in Phoenix and they stay indoors 3 months out of the year....not much different than what I do in MN in the winter. I'd prefer the heat. I personally would go for Austin myself. I don't mind the blue dot....I'm a crazy liberal, but not crazy. Socially liberal, but like guns, hunting, etc.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:39 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,880 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Heck, you could just go to Mexico then sneak back into California and live like a king on the handouts for illegal aliens.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,778 Likes on 18,556 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Heck, you could just go to Mexico then sneak back into California and live like a king on the handouts for illegal aliens.
Shhhhhhhh ... Don't tell everyone :>)

Quick Reply: Year around riding......