Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wobble - death??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 AM
WB
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the wobble at very low speed.. Right before a complete stop or in a tight turn. The more weight I had on the bike the worse it got. First time I noticed it I was two up and loaded for a 4 day trip.. I could shake the bars at low speed and induce the wobble.. Neck bearing adjustment solved it.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:28 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
this fall away spec/test is a crock. hahaha. if u dont want headshake then tighten up your steering stem to the point were you have to actually push the handlebars to make them hit the stops. this way you are using your bearings and tightness as a steering dampener. trust me. your not gonna hurt modern bearings my tightening down on them. i do this and i have no headshake. been doing this on motocross bikes for years and the beating they take is much more than a harley gets even a 900 lb ultra. i always laugh when i see this test on you tube.
Trust me you can tighten the neck bearings too tight.It will create terrible low speed maneuvering and can also turn into a disastrous high speed weave. You are giving dangerous advice.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Trust me you can tighten the neck bearings too tight.It will create terrible low speed maneuvering and can also turn into a disastrous high speed weave. You are giving dangerous advice.
Exactly. Vs just making sure everything is adjusted and inflated properly. Because no motorcycle manufacturer is going to be responsible for what happens when your hands are not on the bars, rightfully so.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Generally stability improves the more hands you have on the handlebars.
Brilliant!

When all is said and done, the front wheel of all motorcycles is no more than a slightly improved supermarket trolley castor. There are going to be times when the darned thing will wobble.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:17 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My 03 Fatboy started doing that and I fixed it by replacing my fork bearings and handlebar bushings.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b17467
My bike does this every time the front tire is worn out.
Put on a new tire and problem is solved.

You might be noticing other symptoms as your front tire wears. If you have more than 40k miles, check out your neck bearings and handlebar bushings. My bike shook more when the front tire was worn more but I found out that my fork bearings were going and I just replaced my handlebar bushings and the bike felt brand new again!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Hands off!!

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Generally stability improves the more hands you have on the handlebars.

Actually hands off the handlebars is an excellent way to check tire alignment; front to rear. At around 45 to 50 mph take your hands off and bike should track in a straight line. If it veers to either side on a relatively flat road it is out of alignment. I take my hands off all the time to adjust helmet, gloves, etc. No big deal.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Slow wobble...

Originally Posted by WB
I had the wobble at very low speed.. Right before a complete stop or in a tight turn. The more weight I had on the bike the worse it got. First time I noticed it I was two up and loaded for a 4 day trip.. I could shake the bars at low speed and induce the wobble.. Neck bearing adjustment solved it.

Wow, that's good to know. I had the same thing happen as I turning into a parking lot at very low speed with my lady on the back of my '07 RK. The "wobble" was so bad I got off and was shaking parts and looking for something falling off. Will have to check those neck bearings for sure. Would you tighten or loosen to cure this ultra low speed wobble btw?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:02 PM
WB
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. We stopped on the side of the road and started calling for tow..
You need to tighten.. It will also make your ride track way better in the twisties also. Couldn't believe how much better it handled.. Shoot some good lube in them first. It may solve your problem for a while!!!!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...hip-rocks.html

Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If it were me (but it isn't)) I would tighten up on the neck bearings just a little before I replaced them. Lots of guys like a tighter front end than the manual calls for with their swing test. Me for one.
Just remember that it will tighten up a little when you put the torque wrench on it.

Quick Reply: wobble - death??