Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a "cupped" tire safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:39 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Rear tire just do some burn outs

Old 11-29-2015, 06:35 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I spent most of my adult life as a Brake and Front End Mechanic and did thousands of wheel alignments, so I have seen just about every tire condition there is.
Point I will make is tire pressure makes a HUGE difference in how a tire wears and once a tire starts a wear pattern it is very hard to change that pattern.
Low tire pressure on a four wheeled vehicle or two will cause outside and inside edges to wear and cup to much air will wear the middle of the tire. simple theory to little air the edges make more contact and scrub to much air same but in the center of the tire.
These harley 407/408 tires have edges on the outsides that are very prone to this low/high air theory.
I ride two up about 80% of the time and always have to much crap in the bags and TP so I run 41-43 in the rear and around 38-40 in the front I still get cupping but not as bad and I believe it is nature of the beast of this particular tire.
That being said if they start cupping I bump the pressure up a couple pounds and ride them till it's time to change then I put on the American Elites, Love that tire.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:42 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,612 Likes on 5,176 Posts

Keep your tire pressure right you won't have problems like this.
On the post 2009 frames I have been getting 20-21 on rear tires and a lot more on the front.
I check it every two weeks and have never had a tire cup.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

friend of mine cupped a set bad lots of tread left,he took a belt sander to em. jaced it up held the belt at an angle so it would spin the wheel evened em right out.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Back in 09 I had a electraglide classic with 4 k miles and on a trip to the Black Hills I noticed my front tire cupped badly. Went to Rapid City HD and they got it covered under warranty.
Warranty issues with the original tire due to "ply" problems on your scooter. HD replaced them at n/c for customer satisfaction.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
friend of mine cupped a set bad lots of tread left,he took a belt sander to em. jaced it up held the belt at an angle so it would spin the wheel evened em right out.
I've seen this done and while it sounds radical ... it did work. :>(

Old 11-29-2015, 09:05 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

I think if you put 2black1s ’s and santajim ’s theories together you will have your answer about causes of cupping.

Go back to the problems with the 2009 front tire cupping issue.
When they realized there was a big problem (premature cupping) they replaced it with a redesigned tire (it appeared all they did was reverse the tire rotation from what it originally was so the open part of the V on the treads hit the road first rather than the pointed end.)
But they would not replace the tire unless there was visible cupping AND the owner complained about the ride and noise. If the tire was too worn they would not replace it, if not worn enough they would not replace it because it did not show significant cupping yet.

I had mine changed at 10k and I was fanatical about tire pressure. At 10k on the replacement tire there was absolutely no indication of cupping.
So, to the OP’s question, apparently neither Harley nor Dunlop thought cupping was a safety issue or there would have been a recall instead of a service bulletin.
( also notice in the bulletin what they believe causes cupping )

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
M-1258A.pdf (152.7 KB, 324 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

according to this, if your tire is doing what it's supposed to do, it will cup. I've always maintained proper (if not slightly high) tire pressure, and I've always had my tires cup, eventually. I notice right now, at 18k, that my rear tire is somewhat cupped, and I do notice it when pushing it through a sweeper on the interstate (I get a slight 'wiggle' in my ***. but it is only slight, and I don't feel the slightest sense of being in 'danger'. but i'll probably be replacing these tires with my 20k service. now that there is an option, i'll be trying the American elites next time.

CUPPING:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, but we will use the more common term "cupping" here, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns (thank you for that Mr. Tire!). This cupping develops within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when one banks into a turn. Upon examination of the pictures at left of our sample rear Avon, our dusted front VTX Dunlop D256, and the picture of our chalked Dunlop D206 one can see how the cupping follows the tread pattern. The leading edge of the tread does not flex much as it grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern where the tread flexes more causing less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the cupping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this cupping will develop. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is softer. As one can see, the simple tread pattern of the Avon pictured produces a simpler scallop pattern while the more complex VTX D256 Dunlop is somewhat involved, though still easily seen in our photo. Cupping on the Valkyrie Dunlop D206 is very hard to photograph because of the complex tread pattern. Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many serviceable miles by running low. Improper balance has nothing to do with cupping on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate within certain specific speed ranges.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM
skibum0607
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's fair to say there's no single reason why tire cupping occurs. It could be caused by tire pressure, tire material, road conditions, etc, and my reasons might be different than yours. The bigger question to me is whether or not a cupped tire is safe to ride on. Since I've had my share of motorcycle accidents, I tend to err on the side of safety as I get older, whether it's in my equipment or how I ride.

The grip or traction of your tires is obviously a huge safety factor for any motorcycle, so do you think that is compromised by a cupped tire? Has anyone ever experienced any perceived or actual loss of traction as a result of a cupped tire?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:44 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum0607
...The grip or traction of your tires is obviously a huge safety factor for any motorcycle, so do you think that is compromised by a cupped tire? Has anyone ever experienced any perceived or actual loss of traction as a result of a cupped tire?
Here's an excerpt from my previous post #8 with my thoughts on your safety concern...

"As for a reduction in traction. I'd suspect that does occur under certain conditions, but maybe not all. It's quite possible that under whatever condition caused the cupping that you may actually have better traction as the highest pressure points have been worn down and you now have a more uniform force within the contact patch. I'm not saying this as fact, I'm simply thinking aloud."

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-29-2015 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rdglider (03-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Is a "cupped" tire safe?