Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner for stock Road King??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I think Eastern Performance has a deal on the Vance & Hines FP3 right now. $279.00 with an extra 5% off with a forum code. Free shipping also. I have that tuner on my bike and made a huge difference over stock.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My bike came used with stage 1 AC and gutted slipons. Ran like crap so I put stock mufflers on. I put a Fuelmoto PC3 on and it helped noticably. A huge earth shaking improvement, no, but enough I could tell. The lean surge was gone, it ran a little cooler and the throttle response was smoother and I could tell I had more power.

When I finally put a good set of slipons on then the tuner really opened her up.

A tuner will help stock. You have slipons so it will help even more. You can also get a k&N filter to fit the stock AC housing which will help even more.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

If I were to ever hop up my new bike (which I am not), I'd go this route, (this might be a llittle more than your budget however). With the stellar performance of the Powervision and numerous maps at your fingertips from proven combo's that Fuel Moto has personally created, to me, you can't go wrong. With the proper canned map from them, you'll be pushing 102tq/84hp.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed...

Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

In your current state, I would just ride it.
Save your coins, and talk with your Dealer or Indy to formulate a plan for your future Performance Upgrade that takes into consideration what you want and need. This later plan might not be as sweet with some tuner you choose today.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
If I were to ever hop up my new bike (which I am not), I'd go this route, (this might be a llittle more than your budget however). With the stellar performance of the Powervision and numerous maps at your fingertips from proven combo's that Fuel Moto has personally created, to me, you can't go wrong. With the proper canned map from them, you'll be pushing 102tq/84hp.

Just curious why you're not planning to hop up your new bike? Especially since you have a method you're completely confident about. I'm only asking because I've modded my past rides, but in this case I'm leaning more towards stock...although I'm already faltering as I look at slip-on deals on Fuel Moto's site....then the ceramic header....then a tuner...

Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by SDBIGGBOI
Hoping to get some good feedback here. I have a 2015 FLHR and it's stock as far as performance, although I did install some CFR Slip-ons. My question is would I benefit from purchasing a tuner? Would I notice a difference in power or sound? This is my first Harley so take it easy on me, haha. Looking to up performance but only have about a $400 budget for now. Thank you in advance for the advice..
Sweet bike, sir. I'm just running slip-ons and Xieds from Nightryder. it works for me. Get a little decal pop, but it's not an issue. I have been looking at the FP3 though...

Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by SDBIGGBOI
Hoping to get some good feedback here. I have a 2015 FLHR and it's stock as far as performance, although I did install some CFR Slip-ons. My question is would I benefit from purchasing a tuner? Would I notice a difference in power or sound? This is my first Harley so take it easy on me, haha. Looking to up performance but only have about a $400 budget for now. Thank you in advance for the advice..
Originally Posted by '05Train
A completely stock bike will benefit from a tuner, no matter what anyone says. There's more to tuning than peak numbers, and if they're all you care about, you probably shouldn't have bought a Harley.

I know this because I've run a tuner on every Harley I've owned, and I've seen my share of dyno charts. I have a completely stock bike at the moment and I'm running a PV with a FM tune in it. Guess what? It runs much better than it did when it was stock. Idles better, accelerates smoother, gets better mileage, and is more fun to ride.

There is a lot more to tuning than just "adding more fuel".
05Train is correct. The bike will benefit from a tuner. It will run stronger, cooler, smoother, & when done correctly, will get a little better MPG.

Here is a thread with an overview of the popular tuners.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

For your budget either the FL-ViED-10, or better yet the FP3 will work. If you can save up a bit more, and want the king of the hill in tuners, then the Power Vision.

Either of the three above will be better than the stock tune or an HD download.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride it like it is, save some money and read the forums. I would go for the Power Vision. Down the road no matter what you decide to do to the bike it will give you the most flexibility to properly tune it. Slipons, head pipe with no cat, and an intake with a tune will give you a little more power, cooler and better running bike. If you are happy with the sound of your pipes now none of the other stuff will change it much.
Next cheap power boost will come from cams. After that save more money...

BTW, sweet looking bike.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:27 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Just curious why you're not planning to hop up your new bike? Especially since you have a method you're completely confident about. I'm only asking because I've modded my past rides, but in this case I'm leaning more towards stock...although I'm already faltering as I look at slip-on deals on Fuel Moto's site....then the ceramic header....then a tuner...
Money is the main reason aside from the Rushmore being a far better running bike than previous generations. "Money" being I spent over $15 last year, mostly on mechanical, yes its true. Poor luck on my part, poor choices of mechanics, and in the end it made power where I could not care less and since the Rushmore is unbelievably smooth and with the HO cams it is more than enough for me. Warrantied the snot out of it and that is where it stands. No gobs of oil on the garage floor any more, no buying compensators by the six pack, no trips to the dyno. The only negative factor about stock, the mileage sucks compared to a good tune, a good tune I stress.

Quick Reply: Tuner for stock Road King??