Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner for stock Road King??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 AM
SDBIGGBOI
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tuner for stock Road King??

Hoping to get some good feedback here. I have a 2015 FLHR and it's stock as far as performance, although I did install some CFR Slip-ons. My question is would I benefit from purchasing a tuner? Would I notice a difference in power or sound? This is my first Harley so take it easy on me, haha. Looking to up performance but only have about a $400 budget for now. Thank you in advance for the advice..

Old 11-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

Your bike in signature picture?

Old 11-29-2015, 12:48 AM
SDBIGGBOI
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaystn62
Your bike in signature picture?
Yes sir

Old 11-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

You have the CFRs. Probably talking a tuner,head pipe and intake to make it complete. That's just to be safe. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:57 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

if you just have slip on's you won't benefit much from just a tuner. Headers without cat's then yo might lose some heat and gain a few ponies but not enough to justify the cost of the tuner. If you do go that route go with the power vision.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

most tuners will allow the fuel mixture to be changed...maybe richer, maybe leaner- the settings are crucial to any power gained...and often lost.
for example an overly rich mixture produces less power.

and the same with spark timing.

so the person making the changes needs to be as smart as the machine ( see post below, where the owner has good results)

I often hear, see or smell bikes which are not running well...but the owner is happy as a clam with 32 MPG and maybe pooting out a cloud of black smoke

As Todd says above with just slip ons, you won;t benefit.

with a header you can gain about 7 to 10 horsepower with some tuning compensation and the right settings ( the '15 has an ok air cleaner stock for a stage 1 motor)

you can get a stock header with the catalytic converter removed for about $150 on ebay

But for now, leave it as is and enjoy that warranty- a tuner will likely void the warranty.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-29-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:54 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

A completely stock bike will benefit from a tuner, no matter what anyone says. There's more to tuning than peak numbers, and if they're all you care about, you probably shouldn't have bought a Harley.

I know this because I've run a tuner on every Harley I've owned, and I've seen my share of dyno charts. I have a completely stock bike at the moment and I'm running a PV with a FM tune in it. Guess what? It runs much better than it did when it was stock. Idles better, accelerates smoother, gets better mileage, and is more fun to ride.

There is a lot more to tuning than just "adding more fuel".

And no tuner will void your warranty. With a flash tuner (TTS, PV) you can return to the stock calibration in minutes. With a piggyback tuner (PCV) you can just take the thing off. The only time your warranty might come into play would be in the event of an engine failure in which the tuner played a part. That's so unlikely as to not be worth worrying about. Even if your dealer has an issue with your tuner, the warranty will still be intact for the rest of the bike.

Nothing voids the warranty.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:24 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Check out www.nightrider.com Some forum members who added mufflers to their stock
Bikes have used these fuel enriching devices to add a little more fuel to the engine.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:26 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes you will benifit from a proper flash tuner with a proper tune, especially with CFRs.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 PM
JCCASH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can probably get the Harley Pro Tuner for $400.00. I just replaced the tuner on my 2011 Street Glide when I upgraded the cams. I went with Thundermax. So far so good. Lot more power and smooth ride.

Quick Reply: Tuner for stock Road King??