Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving Touring-model Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Hello...

I experienced a slow side-to-side oscillation of the handlebars that made me think I was about to have a speed wobble, though it subsided before anything came of it.

Thanks for your input!
This is affectionately known as "Bagger Wobble". No one really knows what the cause is. There are products like tru-track that claim to alleviate this condition. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Check or just replace the swingarm bushings. This is no small task just so ya know. On a 15 year old bike, I'd replace all of the bushings for the engine as well. After checking and re greasing the steering head bearings if you get a a good fall away, you'll have a baseline to start from... or, you might find the ride acceptable.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring!

Old 11-30-2015, 12:58 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
This is affectionately known as "Bagger Wobble". No one really knows what the cause is. There are products like tru-track that claim to alleviate this condition. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
You mean you haven't read my thread on the subject?! Get yourself a long drink and a snack.....

Old 11-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you all for so generously sharing your knowledge and experience.

I see that I've got some work ahead to get to the bottom of my wobble, but thanks to you I know what to do.

As for suspension improvements, I don't need this to handle like a WG, but I need it to handle much better than it does, and I have a lot of work to figure out where to take it from here. Let the fun begin!

Now I just need to find a way to return the favor!

Much appreciated

Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 PM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

With my 04' road king I went with the progressive monotube front suspension, true track rear stabilizer and Legend revo shocks in the rear. all in all these made a huge improvement in the handling, especially in long sweeping turns. Now he bike feels planted and I can dive into a turn with confidence. My only issue now is a slight shimmy sometimes at high speeds... triple digit speeds.

So as of now I am placing my order for the glide pro stabilizer system (front and rear mounts) tomorrow and then bringing it in to be properly aligned.

The front triple tree and riser bushings are something I never thought of. I'm sure my risers bushings could be replaced. Anyone recommend or could point us to some upgraded risers/bushings? does anyone make anything like that?

Also anyone mount up a steering dampener on their bike? any info on that would be awesome!

Not the threadjack your thread O.P. but I figured these questions would contribute to the conversation. all the best, Jeremy

Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Z, we can help you overcome the immediate problems, then take your ride quality on to another level, if you wish!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SpaceReapersNOLA
With my 04' road king I went with the progressive monotube front suspension, true track rear stabilizer and Legend revo shocks in the rear. all in all these made a huge improvement in the handling, especially in long sweeping turns. Now he bike feels planted and I can dive into a turn with confidence. My only issue now is a slight shimmy sometimes at high speeds... triple digit speeds.

So as of now I am placing my order for the glide pro stabilizer system (front and rear mounts) tomorrow and then bringing it in to be properly aligned.

The front triple tree and riser bushings are something I never thought of. I'm sure my risers bushings could be replaced. Anyone recommend or could point us to some upgraded risers/bushings? does anyone make anything like that?

Also anyone mount up a steering dampener on their bike? any info on that would be awesome!

Not the threadjack your thread O.P. but I figured these questions would contribute to the conversation. all the best, Jeremy
No worries, Jeremy, they're good questions that contribute to the discussion. Thanks for posting them.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Thank you all for so generously sharing your knowledge and experience.

I see that I've got some work ahead to get to the bottom of my wobble, but thanks to you I know what to do.

As for suspension improvements, I don't need this to handle like a WG, but I need it to handle much better than it does, and I have a lot of work to figure out where to take it from here. Let the fun begin!

Now I just need to find a way to return the favor!

Much appreciated
If I were you with that bike, I would start from the front of the bike and go through everything until you get to the end. I would do mono tube front suspension, fork seals, handlebar bushings, neck bearings, clutch service, then on to the engine and do a full out service on it with fluids and greases and replace the cam tensioners. Then, I would replace the engine mounts, swingarm bearings/bushings, etc. I would upgrade the rear shocks, I would definitely put a true track on it. Add brakes and tires when needed and it should ride way better than brand new?

Last edited by bill_1202; 12-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bill_1202
If I were you with that bike, I would start from the front of the bike and go through everything until you get to the end. I would do mono tube front suspension, fork seals, handlebar bushings, neck bearings, clutch service, then on to the engine and do a full out service on it with fluids and greases and replace the cam tensioners. Then, I would replace the engine mounts, swingarm bearings/bushings, etc. I would upgrade the rear shocks, I would definitely put a true track on it. Add brakes and tires when needed and it should ride way better than brand new?
That pretty much sums it up, an axle-to-axle going over. I see I've got some work ahead.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 12-08-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:40 AM
greggmig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BB59 where was it worn through? I ran the GlidePro had terrible luck with the rear mounts I went through 4 sets the metal sleeve kept separating from the urethane. The owner will no longer warranty them and sent me some of my money back. I just serviced my brothes 2004 Screaming Eagle Electriglide which I had installed the same GP mounts and they were torn also. I think Jake the owner of GP is using the wrong urethane formulation. its way to soft. Long story short I went back to a set of new rear mounts that Ron at Truetrack recommended after purchasing a complete stabilizer and bushing kit from him.

Quick Reply: Improving Touring-model Handling