Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Bushing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Handlebar Bushing Question

OK, going to install khrome werks 14" bagger apes. Thinking of replacing the bushings while I am at it. I currently have 12" Wild Ones on there. Nothing to indicate I need new bushings other than what I have read on the forum.

Here is my question, I have read somewhere that the HD and other poly bushings are too tall or something. Top clamp doesn't fit right? I think Wild One has reduced height bushings so the top clamp is flush?? Is the only clearance issue with Wild One bars or with Khrome Werks as well?

Not sure if any of that makes sense but if I need new bushings I want to get the right ones and I cant find the threads on it.

Thanks all.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried a drag poly and alloy art bushings and they were to thick for my road king, could not get them to seat right, and I ended up with the wild ones bushings

Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

I used whatever poly bushings eastern pc sent me and they worked just fine

Old 11-30-2015, 07:11 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the HD poly bushings and never had a problem with them fitting. They stopped my bars from moving around. I've since pulled my apes off but the bushings are still in there.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

Ok, so what causes the need for wild ones shorter bushings? Help please, just don't want to tear it down again for the new bar install and have the new bushings to tall. What happens if the wild one bushings are too short? Is that possible?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to hijack but ,What wild one bushings are being used ? Their website says their touring bushings will not fit the 14+ years .
Op if you already have poly bushings no need to change them out, but are suggested. I have the alloy art riser bushings , they were taller than stock I had to get longer bolts to make them work, I did not have any issues with the top clamp lining up or not fitting.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 AM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WO 803 is what I used. it says not for 14s

Old 12-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Juan-The-Human
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jessem
OK, going to install khrome werks 14" bagger apes. Thinking of replacing the bushings while I am at it. I currently have 12" Wild Ones on there. Nothing to indicate I need new bushings other than what I have read on the forum.

Here is my question, I have read somewhere that the HD and other poly bushings are too tall or something. Top clamp doesn't fit right? I think Wild One has reduced height bushings so the top clamp is flush?? Is the only clearance issue with Wild One bars or with Khrome Werks as well?

Not sure if any of that makes sense but if I need new bushings I want to get the right ones and I cant find the threads on it.

Thanks all.
Greetings from SO-FLA,

I would just go ahead and replace the bushings since you have them all taken apart. I bought the Arlen Ness ones on EBAY, Brand New for like $30-40.

It was a simple swap out and they fit perfectly. As others may note, the taller the handlebars the more leverage you are putting on that fulcrum point, thus a "Brand New & Stiffer" bushing is always going to help!

Good Luck. Ride Safe and Ride Often. Rubber Side Down. Over and Out.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

perfect timing, I was going to order my poly bushings today. I was looking at the alloy art ones. Has anyone else had trouble fitting these to a road king? If longer bolts are needed , how much longer? any help would be great!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

I was going to use wo803 for a 2011 rk. I know wild one had a description of the bushing problem... just couldn't find it again on there website. Why wouldn't I just replace with the same size bushing as stock but different material?

Quick Reply: Handlebar Bushing Question