Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 57H

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:57 PM
DOC H
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andrews 57H

Hello all, Im a newbie to this forum. After having a surgery two weeks ago, the Doctor told me I couldn't ride for awhile, so i did what any reasonable biker would do. I tore open my brand new engine, and started removing inferior and obsolete H-D factory parts, knowing I won't be riding for awhile and knowing I want more power when I can ride again. Over the last week or so, I've installed an Andrews 57H cam with new bearings, Fueling pump and cam plate, GM LS lifters, Barnett clutch, Big Sucker a/c, S&S power tune duals, and finally V&H Dual slipons. So great, I've got a basic stage something or other upgrade. Pretty sure i did my homework correctly on the parts mix. Upon completing assembly and making sure my clearances were ok and parts wern't slamming into each other incorrectly,I decided to fire up the beastie and see how it now runs. As you can imagine, without a proper tune yet, it sounded like the gates of hell itself were opening up and starting WW3 inside my shiney new slightly modified engine. Black smoke was belching from my pipes, the detonations were quite disturbing, and gave me the impression the jugs were going to fly through my gas tank at any moment, but all of that stock valve train noise seems to have disappeared. I immediately turned off the engine and double checked my work again just to be on the safe side. During this process, it occured to me that in my post surgical recovery narcotic induced haze, that i neglected to see of my current stage 1 tuner would handle these upgrades. Alas, the Vigilante 5842 will not, but it would probably detonate my engine if it even made it to the end of the street. After hours of research, I've decided to buy a TTS SuperTuner. It seems like one of the more versatile ones on the market without the need for permanent placement or sensor manipulation. That being said, I need a map for my setup if anyone has a a like equipped and tuned scooter. Thanks in advance. I really want to pull a wheelie after im healed up, maybe.
Doc H

Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 PM
DOC H
Novice
Default Make

Its a 2015 FLHXS

Old 11-30-2015, 10:57 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Haul the bike to the best dyno guy in your area or Call Fuelmoto and get a powervision.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:07 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default compression check

proably wouldnt hurt to do a compression check on each cylinder to verify the cam timing is correct im guessing with the 57's you will be about 194 in each cyliner using big boyz calculator with stock heads and gaskets. ive done 2 cam changes and in both cases the compression was ony different by a cpl of lbs in each cyl to each other. seen posts in here where the bike didnt run right and after doing a comp check the numbers where off by 20-30 lbs indicating the cam dots werent lined up dead on , hope its just the tune but wouldnt hurt to verify this. u will have to force open throttle plate a bit with some thing and unplug the acr's to get a correct reading, or u can pull the acr fuse to disable also , if u decide to read with acr working then disabled u will be able to see how well the acr is dumping pressure also. I would leave one plug out just to make it easier to crank over and again in some posts u will see to leave spark plugs plugged in and ground to eliminate change of coil damage. I have never done this and had no problems, but have seen too many posts saying to do this or coil damage could occur, your choice.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DOC H
... As you can imagine, without a proper tune yet, it sounded like the gates of hell itself were opening up and starting WW3 inside my shiney new slightly modified engine. Black smoke was belching from my pipes, the detonations were quite disturbing, and gave me the impression the jugs were going to fly through my gas tank at any moment,...
Actually, I can't imagine that. If you have all those issues simply starting the bike, then you have problems beyond that of a tune.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:25 PM
DOC H
Novice
Default Thank you

Thanks, thats actually very helpful. I will tske a look at that. I should clarify, it runs, and stays running, it just runs poorly, and not well enough to ride. I will let you know how the results are after a tune, and if its still not right, you most likely are, and the timing marks are off. The fouled plugs, and triple checking my work are making me sway more towards tuning; however. Its the first twin I've worked on since 08.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Check your compression.sounds like you got it a tooth off
It will run but not good.it will do just as you say it's doing now.
Take your plugs out and get a compression tester will not take but a few minutes to check
Both cylinders should be within a few lbs

Old 12-01-2015, 03:06 PM
fxstdsei03
Advanced

Did you use adjustable push rods? Even if the tune of off the bike should start and idle normally when cold because the ecm will be in warmup enrichment. Did you fill the lifters will oil before starting? Maybe they just need more time to pump up. Some take longer than others to quiten down.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM
DOC H
Novice
Default Got it

Yeppers, a tooth was off. It didnt help that the compression tester was an epic POS, so i just pulled the timing cover and gears. Indeed, it was slightly retarded. Mental note. Check multiple times. Ok, so it runs and sounds like it has some potential now. TTS on the way. Oil pressure is really good now with the Fueling setup and most valve train noise is gone. A wee little chatter from the airbox, but thats normal i suppose.
Thank you all. I' ll update after the tune

Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default curious about comp numbers

did u get any compression numbers curious what they were with it off and did u get any once it was fixed

Last edited by 2009blackpearle; 12-02-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Andrews 57H