Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone use a Steering damper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:41 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default anyone use a Steering damper?

Hi guys, there are a a couple of threads about touring bike handling going right now and I am in the middle of tweaking my bike so I figured I would start a thread about steering dampers. Anyone use one? recommend one? any info on this?

On my bike I have the progresive monotube front end, true track rear stabilizer and Legend revo shocks out back. I am ordering my glide pro stabilizer front and rear mounts today along with poly riser bushings. wheel bearings are all new. I am looking for the best possible handling I can get out of the touring platform. It handles great now but the front end floats a little at very high speeds so I was wondering if a steering damper would be the ticket. Thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. All the best, Jeremy

Old 12-01-2015, 11:01 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceReapersNOLA
Hi guys, there are a a couple of threads about touring bike handling going right now and I am in the middle of tweaking my bike so I figured I would start a thread about steering dampers. Anyone use one? recommend one? any info on this?

On my bike I have the progresive monotube front end, true track rear stabilizer and Legend revo shocks out back. I am ordering my glide pro stabilizer front and rear mounts today along with poly riser bushings. wheel bearings are all new. I am looking for the best possible handling I can get out of the touring platform. It handles great now but the front end floats a little at very high speeds so I was wondering if a steering damper would be the ticket. Thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. All the best, Jeremy
What year is your bike? The floating issues were pretty much fixed in 2009. It's really more of a tire problem than suspension if the bike is set up correctly. Pre 09 Dunlops have terrible floating problem, especially on rain grove highways.

Beary

Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

IIRC CCE make a damper, or at least the bracketry for one. I've owned bikes over the years with factory dampers, but IMHO our touring Harleys have more serious short-comings than a damper can rectify! Having mentioned them I have a CCE Tour Trac Tree Kit, which I have modified to take Ohlins cartridges.

Our stock forks have a fundamental design flaw, only put right with the Rushmore models. The top tree doesn't clamp the fork tube, indeed the top of the tube is not properly supported at all. This means the legs hove poor torsional stiffness, or resistance to twisting. If you ever ride over an unmade surface you can feel the front wheel fighting against the handlebars, even pointing in the other direction!

One solution is provided by CCE, a yet better one is available from HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal, who can supply a new set of trees, with 49mm forks and fully adjustable Ohlins cartridges. I have the 'budget' Ohlins cartridges, which are not adjustable!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:30 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

My only experience with damper were on off road and flighty front end sport bikes. I haven't seen much market for that on the touring bikes.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

My bike is an 04'. I understand the flaws and the "bagger wobble" and the steps I have already taken have pretty much cured that. My issue really is the front end floats a little around 110-120 mph. I dont push it like that all the time but you know, thats when you REALLY dont want the front end floating around! I was thinking a steering damper might correct that.

I was looking at those top triple trees, nice looking piece. do they work with all the stock risers, covers etc?

I would love to upgrade to the Ohlins inverted front end but first I am going into the motor...maybe next year.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I don't think it will help! Other things we haven't mentioned yet can make a contribution to what you describe. Those high bars are one factor, as you are sitting like a sail in the blast, when at speed. The noise levels at those speeds will also have an influence, so that the sensation you refer to could be simply explained by you gripping the bars tight. I suspect we would all do that at those speeds! If you don't use them at present, then try ear plugs - greatest tuning aid known to mankind. They reduce the noise levels and also reduce tension in your arms. A windshield will take some of the blast off you, helping you to relax more.

Once a CCE kit is installed there is nothing visible to give away the fact that it is there! The tubes CCE supply are longer than stock, however some of that extra length simply replaces the top-hat nuts. The new top tree is hidden from view, just as the stock one is. Everything else fits as stock, so nobody need ever know what you've done.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceReapersNOLA
Thanks for the responses guys.

My bike is an 04'. I understand the flaws and the "bagger wobble" and the steps I have already taken have pretty much cured that. My issue really is the front end floats a little around 110-120 mph. I dont push it like that all the time but you know, thats when you REALLY dont want the front end floating around! I was thinking a steering damper might correct that.

I was looking at those top triple trees, nice looking piece. do they work with all the stock risers, covers etc?

I would love to upgrade to the Ohlins inverted front end but first I am going into the motor...maybe next year.
The front end floats around because it was not made to do 120mph. Slow down and enjoy life.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:28 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think a damper is going to do much of anything. They help on bikes with light, quick, steering to eliminate high speed wobble. Harleys have heavy, slow steering. The wobble you have comes from the design of the motor mounts and swing arm. You have done about all you can other than good rear shocks.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

They are big heavy bikes with very flexible steering heads. It certainly seems a damper should help.

Beware the geometry of the damper setup. There are several for touring Harley's that will probably do nothing because of their geometry.

For example:

vs

Last edited by foxtrapper; 12-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

120 mph sounds like you have plenty of motor - go for the front end fix first!

Quick Reply: anyone use a Steering damper?