Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fuel Pump Light Comes Back On?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:03 AM
sporty87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Fuel Pump Light Comes Back On?

Looking to find out if I have a problem with my 2005 Road King Classic. When I turn on the ignition switch the electric fuel pump light comes on and I wait for it to go out to start my bike as it says in the manual. But now it seems that after the bike starts the electric fuel pump light comes back on for a couple of seconds again and then goes out . The bike runs fine and starts fine. Is this relighting of the light normal or reason for concern?
Thanks

Old 12-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe you are talking about the check engine light don't think there is a fuel pump light? Anyway that indicates you have a stored trouble code. It will clear itself after so many starts (don't know the #). If you check the codes it will tell you where to look. Not sure how to check for codes on a Road King. Try doing a search here there is much info on this topic. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

Here's the check procedure - google the codes found for their explanation, or come back...

Harley Davidson Trouble codes
Be advised this only applies to the full serial data bikes, ie 04 and 05's
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
*Credit to Harleyhog.co.uk

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range
and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word 'diag' should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module)
to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module (EFI) / (Ignition Control Module, 'Carbureted')
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTCs the code will be
displayed or the word 'none' will appear if there are no DTCs. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTCs are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up.
Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTCs again by repeating steps 1 to 9.
If the code is current it will reappear.

9 Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 Turn Ignition switch to OFF

Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 PM
sporty87
Intermediate
Thumbs up Think I got it!

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Here's the check procedure - google the codes found for their explanation, or come back...

Harley Davidson Trouble codes
Be advised this only applies to the full serial data bikes, ie 04 and 05's
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
*Credit to Harleyhog.co.uk

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range
and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word 'diag' should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module)
to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module (EFI) / (Ignition Control Module, 'Carbureted')
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTCs the code will be
displayed or the word 'none' will appear if there are no DTCs. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTCs are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up.
Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTCs again by repeating steps 1 to 9.
If the code is current it will reappear.

9 Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 Turn Ignition switch to OFF

To clear this up (my mistake) as Moe55 said it is the check engine light not the fuel pump light.

As per above procedure by JOE12RK I did as stated and came up with a code PO122 (Which I don't know what it is). I cleared the trouble code as stated above. I restarted the bike again and shut it down, then repeated the procedure and this time the code came up CLEAR so hopefully I am good to go.
Thanks for the help,this forum is great! Joe12RK special thanks to you.
If anyone knows what the code PO122 is can you please tell me.
Thanks

Last edited by sporty87; 12-21-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Fogot to thank Joe12RK
Old 12-21-2015, 12:19 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I had this same issue. See if it is throwing codes first. That is easy enough.

I am not sure if the earlier models suffer the same fate as the 09's and up but mine ended up being the TPS connector not making a solid connection. Once that was cleaned up it never happened again.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:22 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

PO122 is TPS related. I think what I posted above may be a place to look at.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Make a shortcut or save this site to your favorites
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-h...ble-codes.html

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 PM
sporty87
Intermediate
Thumbs up Thanks for the help.

Thank you Joe12RK, Todd-67, and Vernal for the link to the diagnostic codes. All seems well but I have to take the bike out for a ride and see if the check engine light comes on again. It is raining here in New York and Christmas is in 3 days so it may be awhile. At least now if the check engine light comes back on I know where to go to fix it. It looks like the TPS sensor is a just 2 screws and a wire and should be easy to replace. I don't think there is any calibration afterwards.
Thanks all.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:04 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

You may get by with just disassembling the connection and using contact cleaner clean it really well and apply dielectric grease on it before snapping the connector back together. Good luck and I hope that is all it is.