Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable Pressure Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Bates, I haven't been able to really take it out and twist it so that I have a good feel. What little I did ride it (around the neighborhood) wasn't enough to give me the ability to answer your question fully. It did however feel like it was going to be all that I was hoping it would. I didn't notice any slipping when gunning it from 1st to 2nd, and once I hit third gear the centrifugal force has the weights fully engaged against the clutch plates. But again, I was in the neighborhood, so I wasn't going to really hammer it. I used the VP95LT in tandem with the stock spring, and it has given my a clutch pull that seems to be slightly lighter than what the stock set up gave me. It's close though. It's SO much more pleasant on my left forearm, and you know how much easier it is on the motorcycle.
That's the news I was hoping for. The clutch pull that is. I'm certain it will perform as intended.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:14 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
That's the news I was hoping for. The clutch pull that is. I'm certain it will perform as intended.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll not be disappointed. At only a 5% reduction in stock pull, the difference is really pretty negligible, but stock pull was never a problem for me. I think you're going to be happy all said and done.

I had no idea that my decision to follow you and Skratch would put me ahead of you on the install! Kinda funny, but I'm really glad I "listened" to the two of you, and didn't try and second guess it, which I am notorious for. I started to think about keeping the Barnett in there and install the VP48LT, but I didn't let it get to the serious consideration stage and I am glad I didn't.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I installed Screamin' Eagle Variable Pressure Clutch-37000121 on my 103 Street Bob at 5K miles when I had engine mods done and I couldn't tell the difference in pull except maybe a little easier under normal throttle and maybe a touch heavier under ehem, load. But nothing crazy and working fine so far.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:22 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
I installed Screamin' Eagle Variable Pressure Clutch-37000121 on my 103 Street Bob at 5K miles when I had engine mods done and I couldn't tell the difference in pull except maybe a little easier under normal throttle and maybe a touch heavier under ehem, load. But nothing crazy and working fine so far.
Gipper and I both are coming off of Heavy Duty clutch springs. Less clutch pull being what we were after combined with better clutch grip is why we chose the VP95LT and going back to the stock Spring. Gipper did you need the adapter plate? I'm running a ***** G cover and ordered the adapter to be on the safe side.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Screaming Eagle VPC with the stock spring on my bike. It definitely holds better at higher RPM's. About a year ago, I rebuilt my 2001 top end with a 97" S&S kit and S&S heads. I also swapped out the MM injection unit for an S&S 52mm throttle body about the same time. I did the initial tuning myself, but then took it to Wolfgang Grasser for a good dyno tune. When we got it on the dyno, Wolf noticed that my clutch was slipping. He put his shop VPC on it so that we could finish the tune. We finished the tune at 105HP and 109TQ, at which point he took his VPC back off and told me that I would have to fix my clutch soon. The next day I took the bike for a test ride. It ran like a bat out of Hell up to 60mph, then the clutch would start slipping. The more that I twisted the throttle, the worse it would slip, 65mph was top speed. The next day I picked up a SE VPC at San Jacinto HD. I've been riding with that same clutch for a year now, it never slipped again after the VPC.

A few on here have asked about the derby cover. I have the stock derby cover on mine, it worked fine without the spacer. But the instructions did say that the spacer was required if you had a non-stock cover, including HD covers. It came with a little paper guage that you cut out to measure your cover clearance. I wound up putting the spacer on mine later on just to give myself a little peace of mind. I did notice that on the shop VPC that Wolf used, the weights were worn down from hitting other customers derby covers.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:09 AM
gipper
Road Master

Bates: Answered your question via PM.

Based on what Baffalolake posted, I think I am going to keep an eye on the weights, and double back after a full ride to make sure I am not seeing any wear, however. Don't need any more collateral damage being discovered later like I did with the heavy duty spring!

Old 01-09-2016, 05:50 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Just installed my VP95LT yesterday. Do it! The heavier clutch spring alone was disastrous for me, though mine was a Barnett and not the SE. The Barnett exerted 450 psi, and components around the clutch just aren't made to withstand that kind of pressure/pull.

Good luck sorting it out.
The Barnett heavy, I thought in the past, tested out at 510lbs. Did you test it and get 450lbs? If so that is interesting, maybe Barnett is making them thinner than they used to, LOL.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Use the SE Variable Pressure clutch behind the 120R in the SGS. No problem with clutch pull. It does chatter occasionally when it's cold but always smooth after it warms up.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Barnett heavy, I thought in the past, tested out at 510lbs. Did you test it and get 450lbs? If so that is interesting, maybe Barnett is making them thinner than they used to, LOL.
Barnett doesn't post it on their website, so I called them. The tech said that they applied 425-450 psi. I erred on the high side when I quoted what was told me. If their HD spring used to come in at 510 psi, I can hardly imagine what that would have done to surrounding components on any motorcycle, not to mention the riders forearm!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:36 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Barnett doesn't post it on their website, so I called them. The tech said that they applied 425-450 psi. I erred on the high side when I quoted what was told me. If their HD spring used to come in at 510 psi, I can hardly imagine what that would have done to surrounding components on any motorcycle, not to mention the riders forearm!
There is a guy that tested a bunch of springs,
Barnett Heavy came in @510
Aim 480 came in @ 480
SE came in at 380
98a came in @ 320
Lite spring came in @ 265-I think this is the 07 and up Touring spring-not 103"
The AIM springs are marked in pounds, they are the way to go, no guessing at what pounds a spring is.

Quick Reply: Variable Pressure Clutch