Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable Pressure Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 AM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fitted my VPC from AIM over the weekend (no instructions included...)
I opted for the VP84 as my engine only has a stage 1 but slips occasionally when going through 4th/5th. I have a trapped nerve in my hand so clutch pull needs to be a bit easier as well.

Anyway,
I had a little issue when fitting it. You are supposed to be able to fit it through the derby cover and you can IF you put the bottom LH bolt in first and tighten it up. This pulls the whole unit inwards allowing it to "swing" round and then the other 5x holes line up. Its easy once you sort that part out.

Went out for a trial run;
Much less clutch lever pressure needed in all gears up to about 4k revs - above that it gets a little harder but not much - feels very positive and neutral easier to find.
No clutch slip at all - i did not adjust the clutch this time as i wanted to see a direct comparison with just adding the VPC.

Rowle - UK

Old 02-04-2016, 04:37 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Delete

Last edited by wscott; 02-04-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: OPPS,MISUNDERSTODD OP'S INTENSION
Old 02-05-2016, 12:41 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ordered a VP95LT for my Road Glide. It should be the upgrade I need to support the 107 upgrade happening in April.

It should have no effect on the lever pull force required but give me all the clamping force I need for the 107 upgrade.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you use the original bolts to install the VP clutch

Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed my VP Clutch 3 yrs. ago. Works as good now as the day I installed the AIM unit. I ride hard and it works without any issues.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by curlydee
Can you use the original bolts to install the VP clutch
The VPC clutch comes with new bolts. I'd use the new bolts that come with the clutch.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

New bolts are cap heads - much better than the dome heads that are standard.
I did mine inc oil change in 15 mins.

See my earlier post for a tip on fitting it.

Great modification i think.

Rowle uk

Old 02-11-2016, 03:12 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, the reason I was asking was when my VPC arrived there wasn't any bolts.
I contacted the seller and received them in short order. Easy enough install, but have not tried it yet due to the snow.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In reading all this thread, i see a few mentions that to much pressure can break things? Can some one elaborate? What gets broken? Sounds like I am going to need a vpc soon s mine is slipping, and all I have done is the air cleaner, slip ons and a light flash. But have cams in hand and planning on port and polish with larger valves, in the future. If it's slipping now it most certainly will slip with more power added, so I was thinking more pressure = better.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverrick
In reading all this thread, i see a few mentions that to much pressure can break things? Can some one elaborate? What gets broken? Sounds like I am going to need a vpc soon s mine is slipping, and all I have done is the air cleaner, slip ons and a light flash. But have cams in hand and planning on port and polish with larger valves, in the future. If it's slipping now it most certainly will slip with more power added, so I was thinking more pressure = better.
My experience with a Barnett Heavy Duty Clutch Spring:

1. Broken clutch cable in about 3 months
2. Entire clutch lever assembly severely worn, and some pieces broken in about three months; had to replace all of it

None of it was terribly expensive, but it was a terrible PITA. A heavy duty clutch spring is a solution to clutch slip, but it's not the best solution, not without a VPC to go with it, in any case. And I don't think that for most builds both are needed. Some maybe, but not for most.

Last edited by gipper; 02-18-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Variable Pressure Clutch